Energie Fitness in Brentford Gym made it impossible to cancel membership..

Posted (edited)

Hi, 

I have a gym membership at Energie Fitness in Brentford, west london. (Mods: I've provided this specifically so you can check my issue). 

I asked back mid December to cancel my membership to one of the guys in there, and he told me to do it online. I wanted to cancel as I am moving away. 

When you go to EnergieFitness online, and go to the "Cancel your membership" button, it gives you the message "This feature is not available at this club. Please contact your club directly should you require further assistance."

Which means although you can start, and pay for your membership online, you cannot cancel online. 

Anyway, COVID restrictions come in just before christmas and the gym is now forced to close. (I presume all staff are furloughed). 

I have rang, but as expected, nobody picked up, because the gym is closed. 

I can't go to the gym, because it is closed. 

I checked on EnergieFitness website, and there are no gym-specific contact details (or any for that matter) - I've submitted a "message" to the "Get in touch" option. 

I checked google and there is no gym-specific email address 

If I send a letter, it won't be picked up until mid feb when the gyms re-open. 

So anyway, my gym was pretty cheeky and basically asked everyone to carry on paying the £30 to "support the local gym". No thank you. So I cancelled my DD

Without even contacting me themselves first, they sent a DCA after me less than 2 weeks later. 

Now I have the DCA: Harlands Group chasing me for unpaid DD and asking me to issue my late payment to cover January. 

EDIT: I actually replied to Harlands email saying that I wished to cancel, and they told me to cancel it online(!) 

What should I do? 

Thanks, 

Ryan 

Edited by RyanB96
  • BankFodder changed the title to Energie Fitness in Brentford Gym made it impossible to cancel membership..

I suggest that you write a letter to the gym – send it recorded delivery – confirming that according to their instructions you attempted to cancel and it is they who have frustrated the cancellation but that is not your problem and the membership is cancelled apart from anything else because they have closed the gym and so membership is no longer possible and the contract was frustrated.

I suggest that you write to Harlands, give them the reference number and tell them to go and do one

Hi Ryan and welcome to CAG

From now on, make no further phone or email contact with the gym, Harlands and/or CRS.

If you've sent the written letter by post to the gym as suggested by BankFodder, do nothing more for now.

Let us know what further contact or demands you get.

You've already cancelled the DD, which is good.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi both, 

I got a response from the Energie Fitness site from the message I submitted as an email accepting that the cancellation of direct debit was cancellation of the membership. 

See below: 

Thanks for your email,
We can see that the DD was cancelled and the membership has been cancelled automatically.

If you do have any further queries, or if there is anything else we can help you with, please feel free to contact us back

So.. will this alone get Harlands off my back? I havent been contacted since. 

Do I still need to submit a written letter? Seems pointless now if they have acknowledged it's cancelled? 

Cheers,

Ryan

just ignore them

nothing anyone can do.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Time will tell, so let us know if you hear any more from the gym, Harlands or CRS

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)