Broken order currys

joload

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Help please I am at my whits end...

We ordered a fridge freezer on 13/11/2020 for delivery 14-21 days. 

I called currys after we had had no contact and the Black Friday cancelling orders hit the headlines on 9/12. They assured me stock was coming in that evening and would receive and email to confirm delivery date no email. 
after many calls to them and lots of broken promises of delivery I was informed it was a broken order. Has anyone heard of this before? They promised a manager to call back This was on 20/12 and have heard nothing. Their phone line now just cuts me off. I cannot go into store as in a tier 4 area. Have tried contacting them through Twitter but to be honest they just promised another stock intake date and when I asked if it was still a broken order they replied just ‘yes’.. with no resolution. So am now stuck. I have raised a compliant via resolver and that states to wait 2 weeks. Just wondered if any other avenues I can try? 
Thank you in advance

jo

What most people don't appreciate is that buried in their terms and conditions – and this will be the same with other retailers as well such as Amazon – is that the contract is not made and the goods are not yours until they are actually selected for delivery.
Unfair? – Yes very.

Presumably you've actually paid for this fridge freezer. Has the money been taken from your credit card account – debit card – how did you pay?

What are you doing for a fridge freezer at the moment?

Thank you for replying.

We paid by gift cards purchased through my work for an extra 8% off.  The gift cards are used so it has not been refunded into there 
I do appreciate that the contract is not made however they have my money and they have promised 2 delivery dates before telling me it’s a broken order and failed to call me back to resolve.  
I have a small fridge freezer that we are using so not desperate and willing to wait for it to be in stock again ( they have had 2 deliveries already and dates verbally promised each time but as mine is broken order it was not recognised as an order) as it’s still in broken order state it’s not moving forward and won’t move forward until it is fixed at their end.

It’s the different story each time and the not knowing that is this agent going to resolve this. 

Generally speaking, when goods are purchased on credit cards or debit cards, the money is not taken until the day of delivery. On that basis there is no contract.

In your case, it seems to me that you have parted with the gift tokens – in other words they have your money as you have rightly said.

I think there is an extremely good argument for saying that there is a contract. Is there an explanation of what they mean by "broken order"?

Also, have you checked the current price of the item you ordered? I've been hearing stories that people ordered a few weeks ago and those orders haven't been delivered and now they are finding that the prices of been going down for January

The broken order, they say, is an order that has got stuck in their system and hasn’t got as far as creating a delivery reference so when it comes in stock our order isn’t there to fulfill. 

The current price isn’t cheaper. 

Well I'm afraid it's a difficult situation. You can cancel the order and then order a second one but then you would have to pay on your debit card and then recover the money. We can help you do that but of course it wouldn't be straightforward and they would try to resist. Yours is not the first case with pretty well identical fact that we have had on this forum.

Alternatively, you can source one elsewhere and even if it was more money we would help you get your money back from Currys for the broken contract – but once again you would be out of pocket for a while and of course Currys would spend more energy and more money trying to avoid their obligations to you then it would cost them to sort it out correctly.

What is the latest promise that you have had?

The problem with Currys PC/Dixons is that they pretty well control a monopoly now so there's absolutely no incentive for them to do a decent job – and by and large they simply cause problems and certainly when something goes wrong they seem to have no idea how to recover from it.

Not only do they have a monopoly in terms of being the principal supplier nationally, but also when people buy gift vouchers then you have parted with your money and that effectively grants Currys PC World a further monopoly and even less incentive to do anything right because – hey! We've got your money, what do we care?

And of course the 8% discount that they give you really doesn't mean an awful lot. They've had the money in the bank – earning interest and not only that they have got you trapped as a customer.
I know the gift vouchers came from work and so I suppose it's a decent gesture from the workplace – but for Currys PC world it simply a nice earner and doesn't require very much effort and doesn't cause any particular stress on their systems

Just now, BankFodder said:

Well I'm afraid it's a difficult situation. You can cancel the order and then order a second one but then you would have to pay on your debit card and then recover the money. We can help you do that but of course it wouldn't be straightforward and they would try to resist. Yours is not the first case with pretty well identical fact that we have had on this forum.

Alternatively, you can source one elsewhere and even if it was more money we would help you get your money back from Currys for the broken contract – but once again you would be out of pocket for a while and of course Currys would spend more energy and more money trying to avoid their obligations to you then it would cost them to sort it out correctly.

What is the latest promise that you had?

The latest was delivery 19th December and on the 20th we were told it was a broken order and someone would get back to us.  Over Twitter today they said it will be delivered on 6th January and I asked if the broken order had been fixed and they then confirmed it was still a broken order? So that left me even more confused. I have not had a reply after that. It seems to be one vicious circle.

Thank you for your help. Will see if I can speak to a manager on Monday and if not will go down the route of cancelling and trying to get money back... although really don’t want it on gift cards as they were only purchased for buying the fridge trying to be savvy! 

I think that if you have to cancel the order, then I think your position should be that you don't want the gift cards but you want the full and discounted value.

I'm quite sure that that is an arguable position that of course it does mean that you wouldn't get your money back quickly and you would probably have to fight for it by bringing a small claim in the County Court. I expect that you don't really want to go to these lengths although it would bring you a lot of satisfaction – and me too.

As you can see, as soon as it comes to gift vouchers, then they have you in a vice and there's very little you can do unless you are prepared to go to a lot of effort and confrontation. I have no doubt but that you would win butt you might think it's more trouble than it's worth

• Thanks 1

I would certain have satisfaction with that too and if it come to it would appreciate your help to do this.  

Thank you for this advice very helpful