TV damaged during sofa delivery

Fordie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1210 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We had our new sofa delivered by Wincanton on 29th December

during the delivery the corner of the sofa smashed into my tv shattering the screen.

My TV is 6 years old and before this worked perfectly with no issues.

The company took responsibility for the accident and has offered me £350 settlement on the TV, they provided a link to the same TV that is currently selling at argos for £429 they have told me I need to pay the missing £79 due to the age and the assumption that I will replace the TV soon due to its age.

I have never indicated that I will be getting a new TV so unsure why they would assume this and refuse to pay the full amount to me.

As I paid the additional £70 on my £899 sofa I would not expect to pay an additional £79 for a TV that was broken and not my fault.

What are my rights they are going to be contacting me next week

I think they are being unfair but bit sure where I stand legally.

Screenshot of the response attached. 

Screenshot_20201231-221550_Gmail.jpg

sounds like a very good deal to me ...if this were me ...i'd grab it and run...they are being very accommodating IMHO.

it is typical on all replacement items that a deduction is made consummate to age and usage and you'd never get such a good deal out of say a home insurance claim for such an old TV.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Fordie and welcome to CAG

I agree with DX, take what they've offered and get a new TV.

A 20% depreciation deduction for a 6 YO telly sounds good to me.

From the nonsense we see here on CAG all the time, I'd not be surprised if the company denied liability, saying you should have cleared the area of all furniture and other items.

2 hours ago, Fordie said:

As I paid the additional £70 on my £899 sofa

Not sure what you mean by this but I'd take their offer and get a new TV (from LG, according to Which? Magazine).

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Yes probably not the way you expected to start 2021 having to buy a new TV – but it really is a pretty good offer and you wouldn't get nearly as good if you see them in the courts. You probably be lucky to get 50%.

Plus the money seems to be on offer straightaway without any quibbling and just think, although you got to find a bit of extra money you may be to get something much more modern with Wi-Fi or Internet or some features that your present TV doesn't have and maybe weren't available six years ago.

Please will you tell us the name of the company. This is unusually proactive and consumer-facing of them and I think that people ought to know who they are

Thank you for your responses. It is just very frustrating. When I brought the TV brand new it was top of the range samsung 4k smart TV. Not how I invisigied starting 2021 and now having to use my savings on this (I am about to go on maternity). 

I brought the sofa from sofa club and The delivery company used was Wincanton plc. They are using the building repair network for this claim. 

Yes it's a bit of a blow to have an unexpected expenditure like this but hopefully you will see that you are coming out of it pretty well with a brand-new TV which should last another eight or 10 years – or until you buy another new sofa, whichever happens earlier!

If there is any problem or dragging of feet in getting you compensation then please let us know and we will be happy to help.