Why are people so selfish ???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1170 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/uk/tier-1-scilly-islanders-fear-selfish-people-arriving-to-escape-lockdown/

Residents of the Isles of Scilly have said they are relieved to be the only area of England still in Tier 1, but fear “selfish people” travelling there to escape lockdown.

IMHO, ferries should refuse to let anyone who is not a resident board ferries. 

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I agree, it should be controlled better, CB and the Scillies would be easier than a lot of places. People in quieter places get fed up with tourists or second home owners who arrive from areas with more cases of covid who turn up and can put pressure on local health resources if they fall ill or infect other people.

I was thinking yesterday that nothing has been said by government, at least I haven't seen it, about the British skiers who fled the Swiss ski resort that was trying to contain the new strain of the virus. They must have their names and addresses so why isn't someone contacting them?

Illegitimi non carborundum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55465079

Well for sure there is some anger that this happened - can they not be tracked from their booking information or passports ? 

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

On 31/12/2020 at 14:05, citizenB said:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/uk/tier-1-scilly-islanders-fear-selfish-people-arriving-to-escape-lockdown/

IMHO, ferries should refuse to let anyone who is not a resident board ferries. 

What kind of society allows private companies to enforce public health laws?

On 31/12/2020 at 14:45, honeybee13 said:

I was thinking yesterday that nothing has been said by government, at least I haven't seen it, about the British skiers who fled the Swiss ski resort that was trying to contain the new strain of the virus. They must have their names and addresses so why isn't someone contacting them?

The Swiss retrospectively applied the quarrantine requirements.

If they had attempted to effectively incarcerate my family by altering the conditions on which I entered the country, after I had entered it, I would have done exactly the same thing.

What do you expect the Government to do about it exactly? Is it the UK Govermnment's function to enforce other country's public health policies? No. 

Stena are enforcing rules on lorry crossings between Holyhead and Ireland.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0101/1187206-revenue-customs-system-goes-live-as-lorries-turned-back/

So you don't think it's selfish to leave a ski resort where there could be cases of new covid and travel hundreds of miles on public transport when you could be infectious, cj?

8 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

Stena are enforcing rules on lorry crossings between Holyhead and Ireland.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0101/1187206-revenue-customs-system-goes-live-as-lorries-turned-back/

You must have mis-read my post, which specifically referenced the enforcement of public health laws and not export regulations that in any event I'm sure ferry companies have a legal obligation to have their customers comply with. 

15 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

So you don't think it's selfish to leave a ski resort where there could be cases of new covid and travel hundreds of miles on public transport when you could be infectious, cj?

Maybe but that's not the point I was addressing, was it? 

31 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

You said you would do the same as the people who fled Switzerland though.

I said ''If they had attempted to effectively incarcerate my family by altering the conditions on which I entered the country, after I had entered it, I would have done exactly the same thing''.

I would always put my family's welfare above that of others. Whether you or I think that's selfish or not isn't relevant to that consideration.

Edited by cjcregg

Well lets just hope that none of those who returned to the UK were infected and none of cjcregg's family  have the misfortune to meet up with any that might have been. 

BCOBS

I don't see how it's possible to stop a virus spreading if supermarkets and shops are to be kept stocked.  I'm as unimpressed as anyone with individuals breaking the rules but the numbers must be quite small compared with the thousands of legal journeys made daily by lorries/vans etc. transporting essential goods around the country.  A selfish group of tourists make a better headline for sure.

• Like 1

it is totally ridiculous.you can have 300 people waiting to check in at an airport, all standing 2 ptrs away from each other. then an hour later they are all sitting, crammed on a plane, next to each other, wearing masks that doesn't do a thing.

Why, I hear you ask, well its because we are all being scammed, the virus is nothing to fear, with  99% of the population recovering you really have nothing to fear. There are other reasons you will need to research for yourselves. The only other thing I will say is that when over 50 million died in the Spanish flu, they never actually died from the flu, they died from bacterial pneumonia, FROM WEARING MASKS. do you research.

blimey we're honoured to have the soon to be EX president trump post here with his expert knowledge upon the virus...

• Haha 2

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

On 02/01/2021 at 10:18, citizenB said:

Well lets just hope that none of those who returned to the UK were infected and none of cjcregg's family  have the misfortune to meet up with any that might have been. 

I don't understand your point. Switzerland has far lower case numbers than the UK, in which case those returning from there would neccesarily be less likely to be infected than they would had remained in the UK.

But I imagine most of the Brits flew there so were at close quarters in airports, planes and transfer coaches or trains so could have passed on the virus between them. Last year, crowded conditions in ski resorts made a significant impact on the epidemic in the UK and other parts of Europe.

47 minutes ago, cjcregg said:

You can say that about anyone who travels on any mode of public transport anywhere.

Absolutely.  People do look for a scapegoat though and an identifiable small group are an easy headline.  I personally 'know' two people who have died from Covid, one lorry driver and one person who caught it in hospital.  Travelling around this country is just as dangerous as anywhere else.

2 hours ago, honeybee13 said:

Last year, crowded conditions in ski resorts made a significant impact on the epidemic in the UK and other parts of Europe.

Before there were any travel restrictions in place - no?  It was one known way the virus came into the country so again, easy to point the finger but to say it made a 'significant impact' might be a stretch.  We had no idea and people were still travelling freely and legally all round the world. 

Edited by hightail

• 4 weeks later...

It's happened again, people from eight or more European countries found in Austria, ski-ing while claiming they were job-hunting.

Everyone seems to have forgotten a year ago when cases started spreading from European ski resorts.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/austria-lockdown-ski-resort-anton-tyrol-b1795463.html

Nothing will change. A fine of £2k is nothing but a few hotel night's worth for those concerned.

And in this country, we have the leaders lead by example with their drives/train rides across the country whilst knowingly infected, many of which remain unpunished. Can't really blame "the little people" for following suit.

Handing jail terms for reckless endangerment of human lives would certainly seem appropriate, but you wanna bet that the persons handed the first sentences will be Joe Bloggs who had to run to Aldi to feed himself, rather than Jonathon Roggs-Meese who needed to fly to Innsbruck to find a job.

• Like 2