• Tweets

• I have done so now I will see what they say.
    • Hi all,    So long story short, I have just received a notice of debt recovery in the post from dcbl. I opened it because it was addressed to Mr. so and so (my surname but for both first and last name) for an unpaid parking charge that was given back in 2017. I looked up the number plate and the car was actually my mothers car, same initials but different addresses. I think they may have chanced sending it to my address as this is the first time I have received any letter of the sort.    Should I call them and tell them this isn't the right address or just ignore it.    Thanks.   
    • Thanks dx100uk - I'm not sure what the council will do next so will wait and see and update later if there are any developments. Thanks to all on the site for the advice. This has been hanging over my head for so long - wish I'd done it sooner.  
    • You can't really legislate for what may or not happen....get the credit and then see what transpires.   Andy
    • Don't worry about it. Hermes try to wriggle out of every piece of obligation that they have. As soon as you put your parcel into the care of Hermes, it is up to them to look after it and if they are careless or if there staff are criminal – then it is up to them to deal with the problem. They can't pass the buck onto their customers. Can you tell us more about the dates, what it was, value – et cetera. Have you got a formal rejection of your claim from Hermes on the basis that it was stolen? Please could you post up in PDF. If you have some other notification from Hermes that it was stolen from the van then please can you post that up in PDF format. We would love to see it. Spend some time reading around a good dozen or so of the Hermes threads on this sub- forum so that you understand how it all goes. You're pretty well guaranteed to get your money back – but Hermes as usual will spend more than the value of it trying to block you. I don't know what Hermes business model is but it makes no economic sense to me to spend so much time trying to deprive their customers of what they are entitled to along with the reputational risk. Once you have read around the Hermes stories and also once you have read about how to bring a small claim in the County Court, come back here and we will take you through it.
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies

Death in Family and Covid Travel Restrictions

My Step-Mother, bless her is very close to the end in a Care Home in my home town where I currently live. My Sister is in and lives in Surrey, currently in Tier 4.

Can she travel to Tier 2 for the impending funeral?

Most people say, Just do it!

H

42 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

You can leave home to attend or visit:

• a place of worship for communal worship
  • a funeral or event related to a death
  • a burial ground or a remembrance garden
  • a wedding ceremony

However, weddings, funerals and religious, belief-based or commemorative events linked to someone’s death are all subject to limits on the numbers that can attend (see below).

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-4-stay-at-home

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Very sorry to hear this.  

No time is good - but this is at an especially bad time

You have to have a "reasonable excuse" to leave home. The list of reasonable excuses provided in the legislation in not exhaustive (which means you can leave home for a reason that is not listed provided it is considered "reasonable"). However the list includes to attend a funeral  (Exception No. 7) and it also includes a "Death Bed Visit" where you can visit someone whom you reasonable believe is dying (Exception No. 6).

Hi H

Condolences to you and you family.

I agree short answer YES as long as they follow the social distance rules etc.

(I would also try to keep somthing evidence wise with you when you travel to show you are attending the funeral, just in case you are stopped and asked due to tier 4)

Again Condolences

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 2 weeks later...

I hate it when threads are not 'finished'. So here is how it all ended. Step Mum went into Care Home 23rd of December. Had a Good Christmas. Care home rang 8.30am New Years Day to say come in to us quickly. Step Sister had time for a train from Surrey. We were both with Step Mum when she passed. It was as good as it could possibly have been.

RIP

H

• Thanks 1

42 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

Sincere condolences Hammy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread