Being chased for Payment from Origin Broadband

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1198 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I am hoping I can get some guidance here. I have submitted a complaint to the ombudsman but i am still getting harrassed.

I signed up online with Origin after seeing that they could offer me much faster broadband than I was currently getting. I was a little dubious about this but I ordered anyway. I ordered their high-speed package which promised average speeds of 64mbps. I also paid extra for their premium router. My equipment arrived and I set up the router. The speed I was getting was as no different to what I was getting previously.

Averaging around 21mbps. After several calls and being promised 2 call backs from management within a set time, which never happened. I finally got through to someone who said I had a fault on my line. Which if I am honest, I didn’t believe as the speed was exactly what I was getting previously from my last supplier. I agreed for an open reach engineer to come to investigate.

I spoke with the engineer who assured me there was not any fault on my line and the speed I was getting was typical for the area. I eventually managed to get hold of someone from Origin again after several attempts. We spoke about what had gone off and finally she admitted to me that I had been mis sold to. Up until this point the speed, I was getting was stable and always around 21mbps.

I spoke to the advisor and explained that I did not want to go through all the hassle of changing providers again and if she lowered my tariff to what it should be for the speed, I was getting I would agree to stay. She agreed and refunded me £15.00 So, from now I would be moving down from Origin max fibre to Origin Superfast which advertises the speeds that I was regularly receiving up until this point. Within a day of agreeing to stay with Origin my speed dropped to 10-11mbps. Which is what they offer on their lowest service Origin Broadband. I checked and checked again, and I was now getting this speed consistently over the following few days. I again struggled to get through to Origin by phone.

By this time, I had had enough of this company who have not provided me with what I was paying for. Even after giving them the benefit of the doubt. I sent them an email explaining that I was changing suppliers as their service was far from satisfactory. Origin replied saying that I had a fault on my line (Again) and this was the reason for my speed. I re-joined with sky and since setting this service up my speed has been exactly as expected. 21mbps. No fault on my line and no need for any engineer. The speed has remained the same ever since. I told Origin that it was too late now and my confidence in them to supply me with a service has well and truly been shattered. I was told that I had to pay them an early cancellation fee of £349.86 which they will reduce to £324.87 as a good will gesture.

I said I was not prepared to pay them another penny. I have now received dozens of texts and emails from CRS. A debt collector on behalf of Origin. They are trying to recover my debt and are threatening to leave a black mark on my credit report if I do not pay. I sent CRS a legally worded letter asking for proof that I owe any money. I sent this via recorded letter. I received a reply saying that no further correspondence would be sent until they could provide me with the relevant information I was asking for. Shortly afterwards I started to receive text messages and emails from another company AJJB Law. Again, on behalf of origin. This company is threatening me with legal action if I do not pay the so-called debt.

This company ironically is based on the same floor, in the same building as CRS. And just recently I received another demand from CRS via text message even though I am still waiting for them to come back to me with any proof that I owe money. This is deeply distressing now. I only ever wanted a reliable broadband service. I gave Origin more than enough chances to rectify their issues.

I was fed all kinds if rubbish and now I am being threatened by 2 companies, demanding payment. I am getting emails or text messages almost daily. I am pretty sure that CRS and AJJB law are the same company. If so they have ignored my letter and continued with the harrasment which I do believe is in breach of my rights? But i am not sure. 

Any ideas where I can go from here?

Many thanks in advance

AJJB Law is part of CRS... Setup by current employees of CRS...

You've already worked that part out... Issues with Broadband is somewhat of my speciality... I do it for my day job ¬_¬

So if you are not getting the speeds you should be getting as your speed estimation - You do have the right to terminate the service if it is underperforming by significant margins. 

What Origin should do is listed on the below link

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/broadband-speeds-code-practice

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2019/clear-information-before-buy-broadband

10 - 11 MBPS sounds like ADSL to me unless your FTTC is legit buggered. You can challenge this if it goes legal but hopefully you wont need to. 

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Thanks for the reply.

Since returing to Sky the speed has remained constant. Up until I agreed to stay with Origin, the speed was constant. As soon as I agreed to stay despite being mis sold to the speed dropped. 

Considering the fact that CRS and AJJB law are the same company surely they are in breach of my consumer rights? This is what I sent to CRS:

Dear Sir/Madam

I refer to your emails and text messages regarding this debt.

I believe that I do not owe the money that you are claiming. You will be aware that the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) Consumer Credit sourcebook says:

A firm should neither ignore nor disregard a customer’s claim that his debt has been settled and/or is disputed and must stop making demands for payment without providing the customer clear justification and/or evidence as to why the claim is not valid. (7.5.3)

A firm must suspend or cease the steps it or its agent takes in the recovery of a customer’s debt where the customer disputes or has settled the debt on valid grounds or what may be considered valid grounds. (7.14.1)

If a customer disputes the debt on valid grounds or on what may be considered valid grounds, the firm must re-examine the dispute and provide details of the customer’s debt to the customer in a reasonably timely manner. (7.14.3)

If there is a dispute regarding the identity of the borrower or the amount of the debt, it is for the firm (not the customer) to establish, that the customer is indeed the correct person/identity in relation to the debt owed or that the amount is correct under the agreement. (7.14.4)

A collection firm must provide the customer with information regarding the outcome of its investigations about a debt that the customer disputed or has settled on valid grounds. (7.14.5)

If the customer disputes the debt and the firm who seeks to recover the debt is neither the lender nor the owner, the firm is required to:

(1) Pass the information given by the customer to the actual lender or the owner; or

(2) If the firm was given authority by the lender or the owner to investigate the dispute, the firm is required to notify the lender or owner regarding the outcome of the investigation. (7.14.6)

Please either provide evidence that I am liable for this debt or confirm that you will not contact me further regarding the debt.

If you continue chasing me without providing evidence that I am liable for this debt this is deceptive and unfair. It also amounts to what is essentially physical and/or psychological harassment.

If you do not either provide evidence that I am liable for the debt or confirm that you will not be contacting me further, I will complain to Trading Standards and the FCA.

I await your reply.

Yours faithfully

I just want to try and figure out where to go legally with this now. Or would it best that I contacted a solicitor?

you don't need a solicitor

and you are totally safe to totally ignore CRS and AJJB.

has your credit file actually been trashed.

if so you need to take that up in writing with the BB supplier as neither a DCa nor their sols can do anything to your file.

until/unless your receive a letter of claim stating the original BB provider as their client i'd ignore and block / report as spam the texts And emails you ever get 

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thaks for the reply :)

No I havent had anyting put on my credit file. Just threats to. I never had any sort of credit check or the likes before joining Origin. 

I will just ignore them from now on then until I receive such letter. Hopefully in the meantime the ombudsman will get this sorted once and for all. 

keep a close eye on your credit file

and i seriously doubt you'll ever get a letter of claim either.

keep us posted

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Apart from the above, I don't really understand why you should consider yourself obliged to put up with this harassment from these companies.

I would suggest that you send Origin an SAR and one also to Openreach.

I think that your time will be well spent accumulating information and evidence just in case things do deteriorate.  Then you will be well prepared.

Sar's are free and you have nothing to lose.

Get them sent off now and let us know when you get the disclosures.

Thanks for the reply.

I have saved every email sent etc

It really does annoy me that these companies just don't provide a good reliable service and then can harass you if you decide to take your business elsewhere.

I will look into getting those sars sent off

There's nothing to look into as far as getting the subject access request off. Download our template, adjust the details and send them off. You can do it today. There is no reason to delay.

SAR

• Like 1

I think it's unlikely you have anything to worry about here.

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yes I agree that there is probably very little to worry about, but on the other hand get all the information you can in case somebody starts to become enthusiastic about this.

• Like 1

Indeed, Just don’t let them rent space in your head for free.. have a great Christmas!

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Good. I'm glad things are sorted out. Thanks also for the update.

If you get any more problems then you know where we are

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Good. I'm glad things are sorted out. Thanks also for the update.

If you get any more problems then you know where we are

Will do for sure. What a fantastic group this is. Thanks again.

• Like 2