Waitrose - Banned for shoplifting, but says online too??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1222 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter has been banned by Waitrose from entering any Waitrose or John Lewis store for life for alleged shoplifting. She has been told this includes online trading but I thought the offence if she went back to a store was trespass. How does that cover buying online?

Hi there,

Nobody has an automatic right to enter a store, or make a purchase from a retailer. Essentially they are private entities that extend an invitation to the public to enter and / or make a purchase (including online). A retailer can pick and choose who it will and will not serve if it so chooses. 

Now, that’s the bones of it, however the reality is, you are correct in that entering a store that you have been banned from, you commit the act of trespass (which contrary to common belief is not a criminal offence, it’s a civil offence) and she could be asked to leave.

Retailers now have gone a step further and included their online shopping facilities in the exclusion, as they are essentially saying we do not want dishonest customers who have tried to steal from us.

Your daughter has been lumped in with them all, and most people do not realise that there are far more offences and crimes committed against retailers than simple shoplifting. This includes fraud - refund fraud, false representation, deception etc.

Banning orders are just a standard document written up by the company legal team and then photocopied and given to the Loss Prevention staff, who upon detaining a person, will fill in the blanks with name, address etc and give to the detainee.

Quite often, they have no discretion in applying their company policy. Meaning, regardless of the offence, the same standard banning order will be issued covering all elements of the business. Essentially saying, just stay away from our business. 

I would recommend she stays away from the store in which she was detained. However I know of no companies that cross reference online shopping orders with a database of banning orders.

So I think she will be fine to use it.

Let’s put it this way, she wouldn’t get into trouble by placing an online order. The worst that could possibly happen is they will say sorry, we are not accepting your order, which as I said, is highly unlikely. 

All the best,

LPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to Waitrose - Banned for shoplifting, but says online too??