Claim on CUE database under me when i was not driving?

Balloons For U
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1216 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Hoping that someone will be able to advise me as i am going round in circles through insurance companies :(

I am the policyholder on a insurance policy for my small business which covers 2 vans and has myself, my wife and an employee on the policy as named drivers.

The employee had an accident which led to a £5.5k personal injury claim in 2019 which has just come to light when i have renewed my own personal car insurance policy (seperate policy and insurance provider) in the name of just me and my wife (employee who had claim not included).

I have been advised that on the CUE database the claim is in my name so must be declared on any separate insurance policies even though i was not involved in the claim.

Personally i fully understand that the claim must be advised on the van policy as the employee is still a named driver but surely on my separate policy i should not be held responsible for the claim?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Usually the policy is in the name of the vehicle owner. So if the vans are owned by and registered in the name of Balloons Ltd I would expect Balloons Ltd to be the policyholder and the policy/certificate would say who is permitted to drive them.

But if for some reason the cars are owned and registered by you personally, Mr Balloons, then the policyholder would be Mr Balloons. Even though the use of the vans was for the business purposes of Balloons Ltd.

There are other ways policies could be set up, but that's commonest.

CUE records claims (and incidents) made under any policy where you are the policyholder. So if the vans are insured in the name of you, Mr Balloons, it is logged by the insurance industry as a claim in your name. 

What's actually written on your Certificate of Motor Insurance as the name of the policyholder? [Change the actual name for confidentiality].

What do you mean by:

21 hours ago, Balloons For U said:

The employee had an accident which led to a £5.5k personal injury claim in 2019 which has just come to light when i have renewed my own personal car insurance policy (seperate policy and insurance provider) in the name of just me and my wife (employee who had claim not included).

?

Are you saying the employee was involved in an accident in the company van, resulting in a £5k personal injury claim against the insurance, and that you only learned about this when you renewed your insurance for your own personal vehicle?

As others have asked, in whose name is the company van's insurance, and is the insurance for your own car in the same name or different?