Ex-partner - Marston etc - at my wits end!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1196 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help. My ex-partner lived with me for 2 years, August 2016 to August 2018. I threw him out due to his gambling/drug addictions and constant debt problems. I immediately removed him from the Council Tax and I am the only occupant on the Electoral Roll (I’ve checked). Since then, he has lived a nomadic existence across Britain, living either in his van or short-let digs.

I am constantly getting letters which I guess are fines (usually parking etc I assume) and debt collectors. I return them to the sender and/or occasionally pass them to a mutual acquaintance yet, despite my repeated insistence, he will not and has not informed the DVLA that he is not at this address. He moves from city to city leaving a trail of destruction in his wake — no sooner do I get rid of one lot, the next City Council starts. The latest are from the Brighton/London area (hundreds of miles from my home). I can’t even give them a forwarding address because he lives in a bloody van!

In desperation, I contacted the DVLA myself last year but they were no help, and said the only person who can update them about contact details is the vehicle/license holder.

Last Tuesday, I had a Removal of Property notice from Marstons on behalf of Southend-on-Sea city council. I immediately rang the bailiff and gave him the only contact I have for the debtor (a telephone number). I sent him photographs of my CT bills and my ID, and apparently he spoke to the debtor who confirmed he was homeless, jobless and had zero money or property. But, because the fine is to my address, the bailiff says the warrant still stands.

I have sent copies of all documents by recorded delivery to Marstons (should be there today), and emailed them cc’ing in the Council. I am also awaiting a phone call from my solicitors to see what I can do to stop all this. I would report the debtor for fraud but guess what — he lives in a van and the only place the police would look for him is my address!

As a single woman living alone, I am literally ill with worry over all this. I have never been in debt, never had so much as a parking fine or speeding ticket, I have a business and a lovely home that is my sanctuary that I’ve worked extremely hard for and I’m in bits at the thought of ruining all this. On Saturday alone I had letters from Brighton Council and the City of London, I don’t have the time to contact every single one of these people to provide proof that he is not here (not that it seems to make any difference to the EAs).

I’ve considered letting the bailiff in to search my house to prove I’m on my own, with not even a partner who stays over. I’ve even considered paying the bloody charge myself (£423) just so I can sleep at night withought the fear of the bailiff returning. Please help!

keep doing what you are doing

i don't know of any 'magic bullet' that would stop all this, but to date your actions are correct.

there is most definitely no need to pay anyone anything

and defiantly no reason to allow a bailiff entry.

neither of which would solve all the issues.

it is very very rare forced entry is ever granted.

you have proof he is no longer resident there for over 2yrs by the CTAX bills

so stuff and all anyone can really do to you.

it might pay you, should you wish

to next time pickup you mobile phone if you goto the door and film the bailiff(s) being told and shown your proof.

hopefully our better experts might have additional ideas...

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Many thanks, dx :) It seems so unfair that there is so little I can do to stop this. Part of the problem is that the returned mail doesn’t seem to reach the creditor half the time — the letters keep coming and, unless I somehow pass them to my ex (who apparently just ignores them), they reach the point of enforcement and I’m left to deal with it.

Is it worth making a Statutory Declaration of property/goods?

The irony is that I totally understand why EAs are sent — the debtor is indeed a dodgy b*gger who has no intention of abiding by the law — and I’m sure they get people lying to them all the time. But I’m not lying! It’s just proving that that’s the problem :(

And as is NOT criminal they have no right of entry if they did turn up, you film them with your phonee through the letterbox if neceassary, asDX indicates you have done all you can.  It would not go well for Marston if they did enforce against you, as they risk breaching GDPR by releasing 3rd party debt and data to you.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!