• Tweets

• Oh sorry, it is Overdales. Apologies.
    • Hi everyone, I has the pleasure this morning of receiving the attached NTK from "MET Parking Services Ltd" regarding the now infamous Starbucks car park near Stansted Airport. Obviously it is not compliant with Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 as it was sent more than 14 days after the alleged contravention.  I have seen on various other forums that people have been successfully appealing these via POPLA (https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6507793/challanging-parking-ticket-issed-by-med-parking-in-stansted-mcdonalds-starbucks-southgate-park) -- is this worth doing or should I just ignore and keep an eye out for any subsequent letter of claim?   Date of the infringement 02/03/2024 Date on the NTK [this must have been received within 14 days from the 'offence' date] 09/04/2024  Date received 12/04/2024 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012? [Y/N?] No Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No Have you had a response? [Y/N?] post it up N/A - not appealed Who is the parking company? MET Parking Services Where exactly [carpark name and town] (346) Southgate Park, Stansted, CM24 1PY For either option, does it say which appeals body they operate under. BPA/POPLA Thank you in advance for your help. Met Parking Services NTK 09-04-2024.pdf
    • Just wondering if someone can offer some advice. Before I knew about this forum I ended up with a CCJ. I agreed a payment of X per month with the Court and it was agreed and that payment has been kept up to date, except for a period last year from Sep to Dec whereby I was held on suspicion of a crime in Norway (later acquitted I might add) but for 3 months and as such had no way of maintaining the payments each month with no access to be able to make the transfers to them. When I returned, I paid the 3 months I was behind and have since continued to maintain the payments that was agreed by the Court originally. I have never received any notification or demand from the Court regarding the period I was unable to pay and haven't to date. However, I received this below by email today - not sure how they got my email but perhaps from this original debt as the Original creditor may have passed it on to them. Any thoughts on this please? "The County Court Judgment (CCJ) granted on 11-2018 remains unpaid therefore our client is considering enforcement action. Despite sending you previous reminders, you have failed to engage with us and set up an affordable payment plan for £2444.21 which means our client could instruct us to take further action in the next 14 days. If our client instructs us to apply for a Warrant of Control, a County Court Bailiff could visit you at home to discuss payment of the outstanding balance. Alternatively, our client may instruct us to enforce by way of a Charging Order which will result in the Court securing the outstanding debt against any beneficial interest you hold in a property. This means our client will recover the debt when you come to sell or remortgage your property. Our client may also request an Attachment of Earnings which will result in the Court ordering your employer to deduct payment directly from your wages. In order to avoid this, you must either make a one-off payment of £2444.21 or set up a payment plan with us within 14 days."  
    • Actually you making me go back and double check the Arnold Clark thing rang a bell and the trust took all the payments off my wages. 2 months £111 & 2 months at £115. Im fairly sure that means its paid off?
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

The sub-postmasters scandal

Posted (edited)

recharge to the PO when/if found guilty, and prosecute all the PO officials who have damaged/destroyed over 700 lives + families

- Heads of PO + PO IT + PO CFO as a minimum during the WHOLE period

Fujitsu? depends if anything they did was underhand without the knowledge of PO, or if it was all 'above board' with PO as customer no matter how lacking in competence. (Timescales may have been forced against IT advice for example - and user testing should have passed before any implementation)

- and not just surrender 'honors' - but criminal charges where the tory-esque never-ending claims of 'incompetence/how could i know just because its my job' rather than criminality - will undoubtedly be heard - and should be up front refuted as an excuse. With positions of responsibility COMES RESPONSIBILITY

- same with water companies.

- with fines+jail+banning from offices of responsibility as just punishments

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

“This is specifically not allowed. Mr. Mansour used to be a Cabinet Minister in Egypt, he has given the Tories a huge amount of money, and immediately gets a knighthood.

That seems straightforwardly corrupt.  Shouldn’t they both be in jail?”

Posted (edited)

Anyone know how this 600,000 (each) payment is funded - whos paying - if more than a handful even get paid this decade?

Hope its coming out of a senior staff involved bonus and pension clawback? Haven't RM repeatedly said they will declare bankruptcy if they even have to pay workers a living wage, let alone pay compensation?

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

“This is specifically not allowed. Mr. Mansour used to be a Cabinet Minister in Egypt, he has given the Tories a huge amount of money, and immediately gets a knighthood.

I find interesting the reports that those who stood up to them and got legal representation  - the PO backed down, although still apparently destroyed peoples lives.

THAT seems to show that the 'prosecutions were at least known to be highly questionable - yet they still carried on.

The Tory Legacy

Posted (edited)

If as stated, that does seem to allege political collusion in the corporate crime. Drag the directors into court along with the minutes of the meetings (LOL - maybe) and like Mone and PPEmedpro they'll soon start squealing.

- and then prosecute them all.

Bet the minutes have been lost and nobody recalls or recognises ...

- although they didnt forget their pay

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Posted (edited)

reading through that i think you could be excused for thinking the excuse building exercise was compiled by a professional con-man with a deep inside knowledge

- needs cutting through the 'constructed' excuses

It was their responsibility to ensure that criminal or arguably criminal situations did not occur

They must/should have been aware that people were being accused of crimes while there were issues with the software systems, and also must have been VERY aware that some were apparently having charges/accusations dropped when they 'lawyered up'

They used false/incomplete reports to prosecute people

They demanded money presumably with menaces while evidence was known to be dubious at best - and kept that money even after it was blatantly clear that the evidence they used was at VERY best unreliable

Consider: there was no way the books would balance even with a basic forensic accounting attempt (with the alleged missing amounts)

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

I've actually done a number of those HB - most extensive around 35 years ago i spent a year examining and correcting the expenditure of a number of capital projects totaling in the £millions.

Its not even technically complex - just requires being methodical - and actually doing the work. Nothing criminal evidenced in the end - just 'errors and necessity (booking expensive items on wrong projects or 'needing' too as correct project was awaiting authorisation  and intent to move costs later which got forgotten) 

You start from a point of 'theres something wrong here' or 'is there something criminal going on here' when one project is audited, and its quite enlightening how pulling on just a few threads starts quite an avalanche of issues, which you run through correcting each in turn.

A criminal conviction MUST/SHOULD have required detail of where money/items to that sum was missing from - not just a figure hanging in the air.

• Like 1

The Tory Legacy

Posted (edited)

Just imagine - I have a line of output here that says you've stolen 30,000 pounds this month (as last months before the upgrade) was fine

see - 120,000 income - 120,000 costs and transferred = £30,000 missing

or - what were you doing ordering £30,000 of bricks and concrete delivered to our new site 300 miles away at our expense

- answer - I have no idea what you are talking about - I didnt

- response - book em asset strip em lock em up and throw away the key

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Posted (edited)

I've spent an hour running through some of the info, and how these prosecutions were ever actioned is utterly beyond me. Can only be (it seems to me) that the PO prosecution system is simply NOT fit for purpose.

Simple fact that apparently fujitsu staff were able to access the individual terminals even raises questions about any (if there are any) possibly genuine dodgy money transfers/missing money without definitive detailed evidence justifying the charges - even more so than that the cases should have had that anyway to prosecute or even allege wrongdoing.

Seems unquestionable that all convictions based solely on the Horizon system, should be immediately quashed and compensation paid. If the PO want to bring fresh/resubmit charges - let them do it through the normal legal system.

That the PO are seemingly spending vast sums on lawyers obstructing the payment of compensation seems little more than piling insult and injury on top of insult and injury

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, cjcregg said:

It's a very well run inquiry and Wyn Wlliams might look a bit passed it but he's as sharp as a knife. He had some health issues half way through it so now appears at the inquiry via video from home but I've got a lot of faith in him. Jason Beer, lead counsel, is utterly forensic and doesn't pull a punch. It started out  just as a judge led independent inquiry but then gained the status of a full public inquiry with all the powers that go with it.

Apparently the inquiry has recently obtained 80 covert recordings of discussions between PO execs including Venells. When she is eventually called to give evidence, clear your diary, order in popcorn.

As were many of the covid enquiry - didnt stop all the 'dont remember' 'lost those whatsapps' dont recognise that claim and I lost the phone for that period let alone the 'I did brilliant it was them others' claims

Innocent until proven guilty? Has to be the default BUT Many of these are clearly guilty - just they effectively claim  rank incompetence as an alternative to rampant criminality.

Sorry yerhonor, I dont remember pushing him and anyway how could I be expected to know pushing him would result in him going off the cliff he was next too, let alone that a 200 foot fall would harm him, nor should I just because I was paid a fortune to run the site.

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Posted (edited)

and she's quite specifically just apologised ONLY for the small number of postmasters who have so far had their convictions overturned hasn't she? - and thats MORE than bad enough (both the weasely apology and the number afflicted) for severe criminal penalties IMO

When her (and Cress' among others) pensions and bonuses being clawed back?

- or do we have to wait for a new government to even see the PROVEN 'unsafe' at best prosecutions overturned

and - seen the figures on compensation awarded so far (even if they haven't got it)

something like £58 million awarded after years of legal wrangling and obstructing - of which around 80% is going to lawyers etc.

Surely all costs should be born by the corporate perpetrator, with the victims receiving the full compensation?

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Not sure of the contract details with Fujitsu (of course) let alone any culpability, or the actual incolvement of politicians in the day to day running

user testing and signoff by end user reps/senior management is largely standard .. if it wasn't - thats also their fault.

- I think the focus should really be on the PO senior staff.  I agree with  @cjcregg that this seems primarily corporate 'malfeasance which its already long overdue for severe penalties against those in the PO that knew (or should have known) and proper compensation from the company/companies insurers itself

- supplier and political blame should come out the other end of that - not a distraction before or during it. Its the people with oversight of the proper installation, testing and monitoring of the processes who should be in everyones sights.

lets not forget that a decade ago:

"This was a period when an external review of the Horizon IT system was carried out by the forensic accountants Second Sight, brought in by the Post Office as pressure mounted from a small group of MPs and the Justice for Subpostmasters Alliance (JFSA) set up by victims to campaign for their innocence.

Second Sight’s interim report found evidence of flaws and bugs in Horizon. On two occasions, “defects” in the system had resulted in a shortfall of about £9,000 at 76 branches."

DESPITE this:

"However, the Post Office maintained that there was “absolutely no evidence of any systemic issues with the computer system”. (Joe) Swinson backed up this position in a statement to the House of Commons."

-- so they brought in Ernst&Young - who gave it a clean bill didn't they ?

- that should be looked at.

The Tory Legacy

Undoubtedly

but user acceptance testing is A if not THE crucial part of sign-off of projects

- supposed to ensure that the system does what is required and to the customers specifications.

The Tory Legacy

Seems that speaks for itself - and not (at least properly) addressed issues that were highlighted by others/audits

The Tory Legacy

• honeybee13 changed the title to The sub-postmasters scandal

"

What sort of bugs resulted?

As early as 2001, McDonnell’s team had found “hundreds” of bugs. A full list has never been produced, but successive vindications of post office operators have revealed the sort of problems that arose. One, named the “Dalmellington Bug”, after the village in Scotland where a post office operator first fell prey to it, would see the screen freeze as the user was attempting to confirm receipt of cash. Each time the user pressed “enter” on the frozen screen, it would silently update the record. In Dalmellington, that bug created a £24,000 discrepancy, which the Post Office tried to hold the post office operator responsible for.

Another bug, called the Callendar Square bug – again named after the first branch found to have been affected by it – created duplicate transactions due to an error in the database underpinning the system: despite being clear duplicates, the post office operator was again held responsible for the errors."

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

From bugs to unqualified staff, the Post Office’s point-of-sale system was inadequate on many levels

• Thanks 1

The Tory Legacy

"Stephen Bradshaw, a Post Office employee involved in the criminal investigation of nine people, will appear on Thursday. He had been due to give evidence in November, but his appearance was postponed after the late disclosure of relevant documents by the Post Office. A number of similar postponements held up proceedings last year, despite the Post Office spending £24.4m on disclosure in 18 months."

- Stephen Bradshaw was evidently a PO investigator involved in the prosecutions

WWW.LAWGAZETTE.CO.UK

Inquiry will resume this week with evidence from Post Office investigator.

and we've already recently in these threads referred the changes in 'professional requirements/liability' this is bit on about (re crony mone/PPEMedpro lawyers i think)

"speaking over the weekend to Times Radio, Hartley said that while lawyers for the Post Office involved in prosecutions over the years might not face criminal prosecutions, they could be subject to regulatory action. He suggested future investigations should assess the ‘culpability and accountability’ of lawyers under professional conduct rules."

• Thanks 1

The Tory Legacy

This is well worth a read. Includes detail that UK news services .. haven't

WWW.COMPUTERWEEKLY.COM

Computer Weekly has investigated the Post Office Horizon scandal since 2008 and is, in fact, part of the story. This guide covers essential...

The Tory Legacy

clear your cookies and local storage for site and it should allow you 1.

I used to subscribe but that was many many years ago on an entirely different computer

The Tory Legacy

Posted (edited)

or from these links?

DUCKDUCKGO.COM

DuckDuckGo. Privacy, Simplified.

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Hollinrake says Post Office Horizon inquiry has shown evidence of 'not only incompetence, but malevolence'

In the real world its obnoxiously likely that the actual guilty will almost certainly get away with it, with the costs born by the UK taxpayer.  'Common' murderers, liars and thieves must be really envious.

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Starmers department dealt with just 11 didn't they? and 3 of those acquitted?

Starmer as head would only be directly involved with significant high profile cases or issue that raised red flags - why would less than a dozen individual cases with evidence supplied and falsely confirmed by PO staff raise flags?

Mind you - no one recently, MPs or otherwise could claim that - especially the current ministers etc involved eh?

Bit desperate to cloud the issue/attempt to redirect blame with smoke and mirrors as usual eh @theoldrouge The straws you clutch at dont really make much smoke or very good mirrors (except on yourself) though do they?

What is interesting is the arguments against a wide ranging overturning of the convictions which although some of the arguments include some relevant points - also seem little more smoke and mirrors or lack of thought.

Given the now widely known 'issues with the validity of the horizon reports and the honesty of the PO representatives - it seems quite clear to me (as already stated) that all the convictions are at the very best unsafe - and the PO can always raise charges through more normal processes if they believe they have anything genuine to support a case that any of these people were actually dishonest.

and i think one or two (very very few possible has been stated)  possibly real crims getting off lightly (temporarily) is a very small price to pay for the benefit to hundreds and hundreds of innocent victims who have suffered FAR to long

The Tory Legacy

From what I've seen the 75K is an immediate upfront payment for those that sign up to accept the 600k offer

- still some contradiction on whether those that go for the full assessment (potentially more money) get the 75k up front  but a few I've seen certainly seem to have detailed that as being the case.

and all is taxpayer funded as far as I am aware so far.

The Tory Legacy

they have to sign a document stating they didnt commit the offense, so I dont think thats correct @cjcregg. It might have been tied by some to the 'automatic overturning of their convictions - which I understand has majority support across parties despite any issues like separation of politics and courts .. which is already an issue given the majority were apparently prosecuted by the PO

There was something about any real crims not applying if they didnt want too? Although I cant think why someone who was dishonest  wouldn't.

Also strange to see headlines about Fujitsu getting a bill - apart from some of their staff being involved in supporting the criminal cases against innocent staff - as the ones I've seen undoubtedly were aware of the issues. - aka perjury?

The Tory Legacy

@cjcregg's points made me think

There are Postmasters who were falsely convicted, but there were also Postmasters who weren't convicted as they buckled to the PO pressure/extortion to pay the sums to avoid conviction were there not?

The Tory Legacy

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Evidence of ‘horrendous’ culture in pursuing staff emerges as public inquiry resumes

"Post Office used threats of theft charges as 'nasty crowbar' to get people to plead guilty to false accounting, KC claims at inquiry"

Edited by tobyjugg2
  • Sad 1

The Tory Legacy

What @theoldrouge about EVERY PM/minister in the government in the last 4 years (let alone since 2015) when the issues were largely defined in court, and there were no longer ANY (let alone valid) excuses left NOT to act?

Clearly, along with the PO - they should be the first port of call, far far ahead of any others facetious suggested by those who should quite clearly be shouldering the blame and are desperate to point blame elsewhere?

Sunak, Anderson, Patel, Braverman Gove ..... line them up

The Tory Legacy