• Tweets

• Hello Caggers,   I've been trying for years to get an old EE account wiped off my credit file. It was opened in 2013 and almost immediately defaulted but was shown as "Payment Arrangement" ever since. I contacted EE by telephone in 2022 and was advised it had not been wiped because therte was still £69 owing, so I paid it and thought it would correct once the CRA's updated their reporting cycle.   However, it has still not been removed. I made a formal complaint on 27/03/2024 and have had contact with the executive team who advised that  "EE account 106985089 has now been deleted from the Credit File as it failed to close as it was reporting the payment arrangement set up despite, as advised this failing which should have resulted in a further default showing.  Please be advised the deletions we have completed take 24 hours to update if a paid service is used to view the Credit File. If the customer uses one of the free services to view the Credit File, the recordings update in 24 hours but the changes can take up to 30 days to be visible on a new copy of the Credit File. I have requested compensation and been advised by EE that another team are looking into this. That was almost 2 weeks ago and there has been no contact since, despite me chasing it. I do not want to go to court and would rather settle this amicably. However,I have been advised that I might have a claim for aggravated damages due to the length of time the incorrect reporting has been on my file and the fact that I told EE about this issue and paid the demanded outstanding amount of £69 almost 18 months ago. Should I just wait for EE to reply or should I start building my case against them? Is their statement admissible as evidence of their blame or do I need to dig a bit more? I made a DSAR which was initially rejected as having no data found yet. I trawled my e-mails from 2013 and found the account number and mobile number, so I'm now awaiting the result of my 2nd attempt at DSAR. I have very little in the way of proof of actual loss except a mortgage refusal e-mail from HBOS in 2015. I have also had high interest loans and credit over the last 10 years but again cannot directly attribute this to this one specific error. There were other items on my credit file that could also have contributed to a low credit score too and I'm not out to cash in on anything. I want to make sure I don't end up shooting myself in the foot for any obvious reason and would appreciate any help from anyone who has had similar experience with breaches of DPA.
    • Noted. Keep an eye on the other threads here including the update a few hours back by Rob Carr.
    • dont need statements. nor std info sheets. EVERTHING else  dx
    • they have 6mts else it dies. ................. BUT yet again today you've posted on someone else's thread posts now moved here. please keep to your OWN THREAD!! now to date you've not bothered to reply to our questions so we CAN help you.    
    • Update: tfl is taking me to court I'm trying to get an ooc claim from them but they have not been replying to my emails. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Parcel2Go & EVRi Loss - court claim issued **SETTLED BEFORE HEARING**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 897 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It's not a case of being generous. And there is some middle ground between being paid over a period of 40 years, and giving them 3 weeks to pay in full.

The advantage (to my view at least) was the same as suggesting i'd be willing to go through mediation. To appear reasonable and increase the likelihood of succeeding if the case went ahead in court.

Wanting to appear reasonable because despite a CCJ being filed, there may yet be a defence filed before it is issued, and there may have been a postal defence yet to be processed.

I'm almost certainly wrong, but it doesn't make me any less likely to be paid, so it's only a minor misjudgement.

Edited by supernick90
  • I agree 1

Actually if they had had a sudden visit from a bailiff, they would be more likely to jump to attention and to pay. Although it's unlikely, if they find that they have got time to pay then they may at least consider a possible set-aside application.

Anyway it's done. Let's hope it all goes okay

Email received just now stating:

We’ve passed your claim to County Court Business Centre.

From now on, you should send any forms, letters or other documents to this court and contact them with any questions you have.

Sign in to see the court contact details: https://www.moneyclaims.service.gov.uk/dashboard

What does this mean? Good or bad?

Well maybe you should give them a ring and see what's going on.

Sorry to say, but it could have all been so easy.

A full defence has/had been filed. Thus no default. I believe it had been in the post but not processed.

I have attached this, but its basically the standard rationale of me not having opted for premium protection.

They also note in their defence "The Claimant has no real prospect of success as liability is excluded by the Defendant's standard Terms and Conditions which were agreed by the claimant".

Fairly sure that statement is erroneous and their terms and conditions don't get to mandate whatever they like if it's unlawful.

I now have to complete an N180 Directions Questionnaire and the deadline has been extended to 08/03/21.

Suspect my prospects are substantially slimmer at this point.

def.pdf

I also note that they seem to imply that no Letter Before action was received.

It was sent recorded delivery, although I don't know if I can now evidence this, which is my own fault. I will have to confirm this once lockdown has ended as the relevant tracking number will be at my place of work .

I don't see any basis for suggesting that they are saying that no letter of claim was received.

In at least two places they have agreed that they knew that a legal claim was on its way.
There is nothing to worry about here.

The defence is their standard stuff. They are relying all the time on their position that they have standard terms and conditions which you have agreed to which effectively says that they will not bear any liability for negligence or the criminality of their employees unless you pay extra.
It's on that basis that your position is that the term is unfair.

In particular, they make it clear that the contractual term to which you apparently agree is part of their standard form contract.

This itself opens the door to a consideration that the terms are unfair. The fact that the contract is a standard form contract and is nonnegotiable immediately raises the prospect that there is an imbalance of power between the consumer and the service supplier which acts to the detriment of the consumer.
If there were choice – if it was possible to go to other courier companies where they didn't impose these requirements for insurance then it could be said that there was a competitive market and the consumer had a freedom to choose an alternative. However, the requirement of this so-called insurance is a feature of all courier contracts.

That's reassuring.

My only concern is at this point, particularly with the courts operating remotely, they have committed time and resources to filing a defence.

There is little reason not to defend themselves in court, considering it's much less arduous at present.

Although perhaps they wouldn't want a precedent to be set and on record for future similar cases.

I don't know. Will file the 180 and see what happens I guess.

If you had read the other stories on this sub- forum and also if you had read the steps involved in taking a small claim in the County Court, you would see that a defence is absolutely normal at this point and effect they wouldn't be up to progress to mediation or anything if they hadn't found a defence.

Also, if you had read the other stories on this sub- forum, you would have seen that the defence they have filed is pretty well a template defence with the details changed and deals with exactly the same points that other defences have dealt with on the issue of insurance.

Not sure why you assume I haven't read other posts. Not particularly referring to the particulars of my claim, as we all know it is justified as are many of the others. Although I note there isn't that much consistency in outcome, so it's evidently case by case.

My point relates to relatively recent measures whereby attending a court hearing is much less onerous for defendants due to being done remotely.

Therefore, while in better days they may have not wanted to spend the effort travelling to court for a small amount, it is much less of a commitment to remotely attend. Then it's up to whoever sees the case and their interpretation of the law/relevant legislation.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read the page on mediation, but wanted to clarify a few details.

I have been given an arranged time for the mediation call. The email from the court states:

"for mediation to be successful, you would need to be willing to negotiate on the amount of the claim and have a degree of flexibility".

Should I have to give up ground? At this stage, I feel I am owed what I have lost, and what the claim has cost me, not to mention my time. The email says if you aren't willing then mediation is unsuitable.

It then also suggests:

"It is crucial that you are able to briefly and accurately explain your claim or defence. It is vital that you have prepared for the mediation by putting together a brief summary of your opening position. Only the key points are necessary at this stage as the longer the time taken discussing the disputed issues will reduce the time available for exploring settlement options."

I am of course aware of my opening position - that they were negligent and lost my item and thus I believe I am due recompense. However, I am not certain of the legal particulars of my argument.

Furthermore:

- Should I mention that the defendant may not wish to proceed to court as it may support a precedent for others in a similar situation to also claim against them?

- Are there any other things I should be mentioning to the mediator?

Appreciate the guidance.

First of all, they always say that you should be prepared to give up ground. If you are convinced as to your rights in the matter – and we certainly are – then there is no reason for you to give up any ground at all. You may come under pressure to give up ground – but you don't have to concede any ground.

The benefit to Hermes is that they don't end up going to court so that they are spared extra expense and also there are spared the embarrassment of a judgement against them.

When you are given the mediation date, then let us know and then we will go through it with you. However, read up on all of the threads in this sub- forum. You will find exactly your situation have occurred several times and have already gone to mediation and you will find that we have already given explanations on each one of the points.

Familiarise yourself with the stories and the principles involved.

When you get your mediation date then come back here and let us know.

I've had a brief look over the thread and I see that there principle point is that he didn't take out insurance.

Your answer to this is very simple – that it is absurd that you are required to pay to protect them against their own negligence or criminality of their employees or the people who are acting for them – in this case, Hermes.Your point here is that any requirement that a customer is required to pay extra to protect against the breach of contract is unfair within the meaning of the unfair terms provisions of the Consumer Rights Act.

Please have a read of the unfair terms provisions of the Consumer Rights Act. In

In particular, after you have read the sections within the act itself, get a schedule two and you will see examples of unfair terms. These are nonexhaustive which means that they are simply examples and lots of others can be added.

An important point is that it forms a significant imbalance between your interests and their interests. They are using a standard form contract which is nonnegotiable. There is no competition because all the courier industry are doing this so there is no opportunity for you to go elsewhere and get a different type of deal.

You will need to point out to the defendant – through the mediator – that included in the unfair terms provisions of the Consumer Rights Act is a provision that gives the court the power – in fact a duty – on its own initiative to examine the fairness or otherwise of any term.

Point out to the defendant that if they want to go to court then you are happy about it. That you will then raise the question of unfairness to the judge and also you will invite the judge to look at the entirety of the contract and to pronounce on the fairness or otherwise of the contractual terms.

Tell the defendant that you expect that the judge will decide unequivocally that a term of the contract which requires the customer to pay extra to protect themselves against the service providers breach of contract is grossly unfair – and in fact it is ridiculous.
Basically they are saying "pay us to deliver your goods – and pay us extra if you don't want us to lose them."

Explain to the defendant that you are fully aware that this is a culture within the courier industry which has developed over 30 or 40 years or more but it's not acceptable and that when you get a judgement in your favour which confirms that the term is unfair, (as will surely happen) that you will then make sure that copies of the judgement find their way all over the Internet including social media that is concerned specifically with complaints against the courier industry and then the game will be up for the loss of them.

One the mediator to tell the defendant that once you get this judgement, not only will people be claiming for ongoing lost items, but they will also be claiming retrospectively for legitimate claims which have been rejected on the basis of this unfair term.

Make it clear to the mediator – that they should tell the defendant that you're not dealing with very much money here – and you are prepared to risk it all in order to go to court and to demonstrate this principle.

If the mediator says that you should compromise then you should tell the mediator that if the defendant pays up in full – including costs and interest – that they will then be spared the problem of going to court and getting a judgement against them which will result in the loss of millions of pounds in the future.
Tell the mediator that this is the benefit to the defendant and you are not prepared to hand them any further benefit if it means sacrificing a single penny of your claim.

Tell the defendant to take it or leave it – you are happy either way.

It is very important that the defendant understands that you don't care either way whether you settle now mediation or goes to court.
The defendant as a huge amount to lose if it goes to court. You have very little to lose

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke to the mediator. I outlined my points as much as I could, although felt rushed for time.

I made it clear the amount was negligible to me, and i'd risk it to go to court and set a precedent which may cost the defendant substantially more in future were a judgement to go in my favour. Referred to the consumer rights act (65.2 etc.)

When asked whether i would be flexible which is a mandatory term of mediation, I suggested the flexibility i was offering was that i would not go to court if they settled my claim in full. Which I expect was playing a bit fast and loose with what they mean by flexible.

The offer was £75 as a goodwill gesture. I rejected this. They are apparently happy with their legal position and their contract.

It's therefore likely to proceed to court unless something happens in the meantime which I doubt.

Thanks for this. I haven't looked back over the thread but I gather that their main point will be the fact that you didn't take out an insurance.

You know what we have to say about that – but look through the Hermes threads again and make sure that you understand the principle properly and also that you can express it clearly.

Also look up in the library here at the consumer rights act – and particularly find out about the power/duty of the judge to enquire into the fairness or otherwise of contractual terms. You will be asking the judge to do this in addition to saying that it is unfair to require you to insure against the negligence or criminality of the service provider.

It's impossible to say whether they will go all the way – but they are certainly risking a lot for a very small sum.

Anyway, you have stuck by your guns – and you may as well push it all the way.

I think it all depends on how well you express yourself to a judge.
Let us know when you hear anything about a date.

It's now just an issue of principle - £200 vs £75, neither is going to have a huge impact, but I've come this far, so will see it through.

Thanks. You advised all of the above to me in terms of what to tell the mediator. Familiar with the principles, and the judge potentially pronouncing on the fairness or otherwise of the contract which may result in multiple future cases and retrospective cases for Parcel2Go.

I wasn't able to say everything i wanted to the mediator, about making sure copies of the judgement were circulated on social media etc., although I imagine Parcel2Go understand that's always a risk.

Any thoughts on when they are likely to try and settle (if they are to)? Would it be after a court date has been issued? They seem to have left everything to the last minute up until this point.

Any offer of settlement could be made right up until a couple of minutes before the hearing begins.

Although it would be a shame to lose the cash – if you are prepared to stand by your principles and see all the way to court then of course that would put them seriously at risk on the issue of insurance.

Please understand that even if there is a judgement in your favour – it doesn't become "a precedent". Precedents are only established in the higher courts. Not in County Court.

However, what it would do when the to cause a very serious ripple in the industry and of course I'm quite sure that we would get press coverage and so even though a precedent might not be established, I think it would create a large number of people suddenly becoming aware of the issue and aware of the possible rights and I think it would lead to a flood of complaints against all of the courier it industry which relies on these insurance policies – which of course is the entire courier industry.

One test of fairness is whether you had a choice. It's extremely important to be aware that all of the courier services operate this insurance system – so there is no choice. It's an industry standard. It is fixed in the standard terms and conditions of each courier company – and there is no negotiation.

Also, it would be not impossible for the courier companies to change their tariff systems to take into consideration the value of the item which is being sent as well. In other words, if you are sending an item value £XX – then the delivery fee would be £ABC.  If you were sending an item value £ZZZ – then the delivery fee would be charged to reflect that  value.

That would be a proper and fair system which I don't think one could challenge. However, they don't do that. Instead they use a sort of insurance system so that you are effectively paying to protect yourself against their shortcomings. Clearly it is the courier company that should purchase insurance to protect themselves against losses and claims on the customers.

It's just like extended warranties where people who buy fridges and computers are then being asked to pay extra to cover the repairs of goods which shouldn't break down anyway – and if they did, would be the responsibility of the retailer in any event.

It's a complete scam asking customers to pay for rights which they already enjoy under consumer law.

Yes, the areas of the Consumer Rights Act and the schedule 2 noted about the bargaining positions of each party and suggests taking into account alternative means by which the consumer's requirements could have been met. As you say, they all have the same contract, so short of delivering it myself I have no option.

Re: precedent, i didn't realise this was a specific legal term. I just mean there will be a piece of evidence for future claimants to use. A judge ruling the contract was unfair presumably wouldn't mean they had to permanently change it, just that in this instance my claim is valid.

I am frankly happy to forgo the £75 to "beat" them and to achieve this aim of having evidence for similar cases. Had they offered me a higher amount I may have settled, but I consider that to be derisory.

Are there many notable court cases on these forums of people proceeding all the way to court specifically against P2G and winning? I couldn't find many, most seem to be directly against the underlying couriers?

On 26/02/2021 at 18:07, supernick90 said:

Thanks for the swift response. Will continue to read around.

I have a date of march 10.

So, today is the day ?  How does the court system work in the current Covid situation ? 

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ah right, my apologies.  I did not check the posting dates and thought today was the 'Big' day. 

hopefully you wont be kept waiting too long. 

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I feel I wasn't able to get all my points across to the mediator as was quite rushed. Points which may have encouraged P2G to give me what I have asked for.

I have an email address there specifically relating to court cases. Is there any reason I shouldn't email them to follow up and outline my whole argument, as these valid points may have an effect.