• Tweets

• Hello, I sent a parcel for a return via Hermes on the 11th of jan and the value was £188. I only paid extra for signature required when they deliver it to the address. I called them on the 26th to find out where my parcel is and after waiting for over 40 mins they opened their phone and said that it has been stolen from the van with some other packages on the 15th of jan. They did not try to contact me at all to notify me of this. They sent me a claim form however they said that because I didn't pay for insurance I only get £20 plus delivery fee. I saw a similar case here that had managed to get their money back by threatening them that they'd take them to court under consumers rights act .  I was wondering whether I could do the same since they weren't responsible with delivering my package and allowed for it to be stolen.    Any advice would be hugely appreciated Thank you 
    • Hi Honeybee Yes that's the one - many thanks. I did try and update it late last night but it said I had to contact site owners so I gave up and went to bed! In the end after no contact/updates from the solicitors the sale went through very quickly so I presume that didn't give the council sufficient time to swing into action.   Thanks
    • I tried to post an update on an earlier thread without success. Long story short. The house sale has taken place [title deeds had a charge against property] Restriction said 'No disposition of the registered estate is to be completed by registration without a certificate signed by the applicant or his conveyancer that written notice of the disposition was given to [name of council]. Exchange and completion within a couple of days. I've not heard anything from either solicitors involved on this point nor the council so not sure of the purpose / effectiveness of the charge as it doesn't seem to have held up the sale. Perhaps I'll get a bill next month?? Has anyone had a similar experience?  
    • Hi Hammy1962,    You make a fair point.  Yes, I made a mistake. I fully accept that.    As noted, this was an honest mistake - the DD was coming out of a joint account and I (mistakenly) assumed this was set up by my wife.    What concerns me - and I want to flag to others - is that when I was sold this policy it was not made clear that there is no obligation for D&G to get approval to continue this each year, no need for me to approve any increase to the premium they deduct (which has tripled over the period) or for them to change the policy. I was in effect (with one phone call) writing them a blank cheque when I agreed to this. If I had been clear on that I would have not taken on the policy.    From a business perspective, if one of my customers had presented me with these facts I would have handled it differently too.    Cheers!           
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies

Acknowledgement of a debt

Hey,

What is considered an Acknowledgement of debt.

I have a potential loan that is 7 years old and been in default for over 6 years with no prior communication, recently a DCA company contacted me and in the emails I haven't acknowledged the debt because I actually don't think it belongs to me so I ask them for data evidence. 

I have constantly told them that I don't know they are or what this debt is, I need some advice please.

Thanks,

Ford. 

Send them our sb letter from the debt collection section of our library

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Can they not tell you what this debt is that they are constantly chasing?

How due you know it's not been acknowledged for 7 years if you don't know what the debt is they are chasing.

I would hold off sending anything until you are sure what the debt is and if it's yours.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

names names too please

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

5 hours ago, Andyorch said:

Can they not tell you what this debt is that they are constantly chasing?

How due you know it's not been acknowledged for 7 years if you don't know what the debt is they are chasing.

I would hold off sending anything until you are sure what the debt is and if it's yours.

Andy

They sent me some agreement that dates back 7 years ago, it seems loan name changed throughout years they bought the debt in 2016 and last payment on the account is 2013, they attempted to contact me in 2016 and now 4 years later they trying again/ 

Edited by SurferFord

upload what they sent to one multipage PDF please

read our upload guide carefully please

dx

and they

WHO sent you this agreement and what was the agreement for?

Edited by Bazooka Boo

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Post 7

Please

and they