Boiler access

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. I've recently had a new kitchen installed, as part of larger renovation that was overseen by a builder - all money paid to the builder. 

To cut a long story short my boiler was enclosed inside one of the new kitchen units however when I've come to have it serviced (mandatory part of warranty - 2 years old, 8 years warranty left), the boiler is  now inaccessible due to the way the joiner has fitted the kitchen unit. The builder was fully aware of the need for access this is accepted irrespective of it being common sense. 

I'm now left with a boiler I cannot service or repair should it break down. To add insult to injury my warranty is now void as it's not been serviced during November. 

The options to resolve involve moving the boiler to the left slightly - however that will cost £500 - the builder says he won't pay. 

I'm ok with the general arguments under the consumer rights act re  'reasonable care and skill.'  however I've read there's also legislation about boiler access - can anyone point me in the right direction? 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Halifax71

I would have thought that the installation of a boiler would include the requirement that there was access to the boiler in the event of repairs or service being necessary. On that basis, I think that you may will have a basis for claiming.

Please will you monitor this thread for a fuller reply later

Thanks for the clarification. Same answer – maybe a little bit more complicated in that the builder will be more strident about raising objections – but still, a competent experience builder should be able to understand that boilers need to be accessible