Speeding ticket - 38MPH in a 20mph zone

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1209 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I’m hoping someone can help.

I have just received an NIP for driving 38 in a 20 zone (very stupid mistake as I didn’t realize the speed had changed) what is the likely hood of getting an instant ban? I have a clean license and have been driving for 10 years. Could I just get points and a fine? Thanks in advance 

The National Police Chiefs' Council's policy on speeding enforcement suggest that speeds of 35mph or above in a 20mph area should be dealt with by way of court action. All forces in England & Wales usually follow those guidelines so it is more than likely your matter will be dealt with under the "Singe Justice Procedure."

Magistrates' guidelines for that speed suggest a fine of a week's net income (reduced by a third if you plead guilty) together with either a ban of up to 28 days or 4 to 6 points. Points are far more likely. That band of seriousness covers 31 to 40mph so you can expect six points or, if you're lucky, five. You will also pay £85 prosecution costs and a "Victim Surcharge" of 10% of the fine (minimum £34).

The police have six months from the date of the offence to bring proceedings and in many areas take all of that so you may not hear anything until next May. The first notification you get will be a "Singe Justice Procedure Notice". You cannot attend a Single Justice hearing but you will not have to attend court unless either you particularly want to or the Single Justice is considering disqualification (Single Justices will not disqualify you without giving you an opportunity to attend a court hearing). In either of those circumstances the matter will be adjourned and listed for a normal court hearing.

Thanks for your detailed response.

I just pray that they don’t give me a ban as I am a courier. Do you know how the courts consider whether to give the recommended points or a ban? Thank you 

For offences where a ban or points are appropriate, provided the speed is not "excessive", points are the usual option provided there are no "aggravating circumstances" (such as driving an HGV, near a school, very bad weather, etc.). This is especially so where the driver has a clean licence. 

Your offence falls into the middle band (of three) of seriousness.

It is only the top band (speeds > 40 in a 20 limit, >100 in a 70 limit) where the "excessive" issue comes into play.

would be most surprised if you were banned for that offence and even if you were it would only be for a short period, say seven to fourteen days.

You can see the sentencing guidelines here:

Speeding (Revised 2017) – Sentencing (sentencingcouncil.org.uk)

• dx100uk changed the title to Speeding ticket - 38MPH in a 20mph zone
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ukshane4life said:

let guess zone use to be 30mph but you still decided to speed idiot hope one day you knock someone down and get sent down

Sorry but this post is judgemental and unhelpful and not welcome on this forum.