Please help b4 I get started!

Glennbo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6212 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, wonder if anyone can help me? Having read through this site and Martin Lewis' site I think I'm gonna go for it and claim back my unlawfull bank charges from EggCard, NatWest C/C and my Barclays student additions account.

Focusing on the Barclay's account, I currently have a sizeable overdraft. Realistically what are the chances that they will close my account and ask me to pay back my overdraft? -Is this legal? Also, is it worth waiting till I've paid off my overdraft b4 starting?

I'm going to at least innvoke the Data Protection Act 1998 on them to see how much I've been charged... Knowing me I assume this will be a lot.

Any help would be really helpful,

As a rule Barclays are not closing accounts. They will want you to clear your overdraft when they pay back the money. They have tried forcing people to clear their overdraft but you can object strongly to this unless they give you the proper warnings etc. I think they have to give you at least two weeks notice that you must pay it off. However, by this stage you are in dispute with them and can say it will be paid off when you get your money back.

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06

• 1 month later...

Ok, I sent off a letter on 09 December 2006 but still haven't heard back... looking at some other posts on here I see that there are various addresses. So i'm going to re-sent to the free address:

Barclays Data Protection

Barclays Bank PLC

1 Churchill Place

Freepost RTLA-CSUE-TCHC

London

E14 5HP

...and see what happens from there.

Also I was just wondering if it is also plausable for me to claim back the intrest they charge opon going over my O/D limit. It a wopping 27% which is excessive.

• 1 month later...

Got my statements back and I have to praise Barclays a little at this point. They returned my cheque as they were only printing out statements, and didn't class it as a data protection issue. Was in two minds about continuing, then I recieved a letter for a bounced cheque saying they'd charge me £35, but on my statement that was only actually £15? No consistency then!

I've send my first demand now, and we'll see what they say.

• 5 weeks later...

Received a letter today from James Scott (customer relations advisor) Saying the "disagree with [my] view" on the matter, but are willing to offer me £630 as a gesture of good will!

I'm tempted to just take this, but think I may actually call them up and see if I can negotiate for somewhere in the region of £750, as I'd decided from the start that I'd accept any offer of around that. Has anyone tried to do this already?

You don't say how much they actually owe you.

Unless you are desperate for the money, don't let these bloodsuckers short change you. They have illegally taken your money. You have a legal right to get it ALL back.

It will take some time as they will delay as much as possible, to frustrate you.

Good luck (not that you will need it), just hang on in there.

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06

Hi spotted dog,

i just wanted to correct you, the charges are unlawful not illegal.there is a distinct difference.

didnt want to sound petty but it is important that we are clear on the point

regards

paul

Hi I thought the same as you at first - that if they offered me £750 then I'd take it as it was money I didn't think I'd see again and was just gone, but when I worked everything out with interest they owe me about about £2000, so when the offer for £710 came I sent it right back to them a big FU!!!! Not sure about you but to be honest I probably wouldn't need an overdraft, especially not one as big as I have, if they didn't charge so much for going slightly over my limit! And then with the interest they charge when you go over (which I'm not claiming as I'm pretty new to this myself)!!!

Have a real hard think about claiming the lot as it YOUR money and why settle for less, they wouldn't and with their £7billion profit last year they can afford to give you ALL of it back!!!:D

But ultimately its your claim and if your are happy with that amount then take it and enjoy spending it!!!:)

Good luck with it

Tori:)

Cheers Guys, that's all very encouraging.

They owe me £835 which works out to about £950ish with the interest. I'd be more than happy with just the £835 at the moment. So I'm thinking If I actually call them (using the number on the letter) willl they actually negotiate with me??? Failing that I might write to them again and say that I'd accept an offer of noless than £835... Which would be cheaper for them in the long run, because if I persude this they have to give me the £950ish plus theirs and my court fees.

You can try, but Barlcays are known to drag things out and take it to the court stage and paying right at the last minute. And if you say that you will except that amount as partial payment and will still go for the full amount they generally withdraw the offer completely. What you are saying makes sense - pay now and you will not have all the court fee's and interest on top later on - but Barclays haven't yet caught on to that idea!:)

So basically, I should really hold out and take them to court? I did read that a several people (with other banks) accepted the initial offer as a start but still press for the rest... But your saying they just say "see you in court" to that? :(

I'm almost thinking accept the £630 to fund my two other cases with EGG and Natwest! lol... not going to thou.

Exactly - if you say yes "I'll except but I want the rest" then they say "right you can't have any of it (yet) and we'll see you in court", but they always (99%) settle just before the court date. There's a bit of work, lots of waiting but it pays off in the end! I reccommend doing it - there's lots of people who have won, make sure you read their threads. :)

After searching online I found the direct number for Barclay's complaints Dept is 0845 6090806... Then I found the same number on the top of their last letter!!! lol :oops:

Going to call them and see if they up their off to £835 (which is the total fees owed without interest), and if not i'll have a letter ready to go today to demand the rest.