• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

New Refund letter about old account (& DPA questions)

Go West
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1107 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received one of these today, and am equally dubious and suspicious particularly as I dont recogise the account number (they give olast four digits) AND I've moved address since I stopped dealing with them about 9 years ago.

This has opened up things for me so I'll make my own thread.

Hi all

I used to be a member here a few years ago when I went through a bad time - husband and I had bad health, both lost jobs etc, we got the usual helpful and sympathetic response from the bank.

With the help of CAG I did my best to fight back and found that some debts were legally unenforceable as well as the usual defective defaults and everyting else the banks were doing wrong. We're going back to about 2009/10.

With HSBC they refused to provide a SAR/CCA because I wouldn't provide a signature that matched their records.

I remember I took the advice from CAG at the time NOT to sign. 

in any case, due to my injury I was unable to do anything except scrawl.

I told them that I didn't think the SAR required a signature and in any case I couldn't.

In short they refused to cooperate, there as a series of letters but they cited the DPA, at which point I pointed out that they were sending me demands, statements and threatening letters but only now were they saying they had to verify my ID (at that point, the bank said that they wouldn't send any more statements/demands etc until my Id could be confirmed (seriously, you couldn't make it up).

I also pointed out that the guidance from the ICO was that if they were responding to the address they has on record and was the usual contact address, they could assume it was their customer writing to them. I even complained to the ICO who, as usual took the bank's side.

Eventually, I said to the bank that if they were unable to give me details of the alleged debt then I was unable to consider their demands and verify the situation and I wouldn't correspond with them any more and they could go to court if they liked. But, if they did lodge court papers, and sent the statements etc I'd immediately complain to the ICO that they hadn't verified my ID according to their own procedures (something the ICO had agreed was required), and I'd bring it to the attention of the court that they had deliberately not sent me the data to allow it to be resolved one way or the other.

If they didn't send the stuff through discovery, I'd lodge an embarrassed defence and ask for it to be struck out as I had been asking for the records for 6 months or more.  I didn't hear any more from them, that was in March 2011.

In Nov 2015 I got a letter from Hoist Portfolio Holdings 2 Ltd that they has been assigned the rights from MKDP LLP and giving bottom Robinson Way's address. I hadn't heard of MKDP before and simply ignored it. I certainly wasn't aware it had be assigned to them in the first place.

A few days ago, I got a letter from Hoist again asking for payment. I intended to ignore it except for a letter I got from the Bank this morning.

The letter is the same one that has been mention on here very recently, a refund from the bank for £25 because they had determined I hadn't received the correct level of service (no sh*t Sherlock!) The account number is NOT my correct account. It MAY be my credit card, but I seem to remember they were rolled into one. I don't seem to have any correspondence about the CC, and I destroyed all paper documents a few months ago. All I have is scanned copies of letters (which may not be a complete record, but should be).

I received a letter in Nov 2017 from PRA about another CC saying the debt has been assigned to them (no letter of assignment from the creditor) and in Jan 2018 an 'Annual Statment'. Since then, nothing.

I've made a point of ignoring these kind of letters and demands in the past believing they were SB and eventually the data would be destroyed.

After a few years of actually being able to relax, I'm now worried that the aggro is all going to start up again with this HSBC and other accounts.

Now, the questions.

it is/was my understanding that the debts became Statute Barred a few years ago and they couldn't be enforced. The CC default was issued Feb 2009. A month later a Final Demand was issued for both current AC and CC giving a combined total. (that total is similar to the one sought by Hoist which gives my currect AC number).

So, are these accounts SB?

If they are SB and the bank has disposed of them by assignment to someone, why do they still have my name and enough details of my correspondence to determine they didn't behave correctly? Does the DPA not require them to destroy data after 6 years?

On the same DPA note, it seems that this account is simply being passed around from one **** bag bottom feeder to another (maybe the same one under different names), again, why is data still being processed after 6 years?

Am I doomed to be persistantly pursued by these scumbags until I die?

Or am I worng?

Are they able to process data as long as they like, even when there has been no contact for years?

I'm sorry there are a few typos in my post - a hangover from injuries I had at the time being discussed. I did try to tidy it up straight away but wasn't allowed to repost after editing it.

You know what you're old username was and do you have access to that email address?

there is no harm in cashing the cheque, a payment from an OC can reset nothing

as with all debts statute barred or otherwise, have you moved since your debacles and never informed anyone?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

1 hour ago, BankFodder said:

You know what you're old username was and do you have access to that email address?

No, sorry, a long time ago, basically stopped using th3 site around 2010. No idea of the user name or email address and certainly changed email addresses since then.

1 hour ago, dx100uk said:

there is no harm in cashing the cheque, a payment from an OC can reset nothing

as with all debts statute barred or otherwise, have you moved since your debacles and never informed anyone?

Yes I did move, but letters were forwarded to me for some time (min one year). The letter from Hoist was received at my new address. Basically, I couldn't reach agreement with any creditor, they wouldn't accept defective/unenforcable agreements, incorrect amounts or anything, so I told them to take me to court and let the judge decide. None of them did and they all stopped writing.

HSBC did not have my new address as they stopped corresponding with me but have written to me here now so they've obviously used a credit reference agency or something to find me. The letter from PRA about another account was also received here in 2018.

Why do you ask?

This has really opened up old wounds for me, I really resented the way they treated me, especially the fact that when I told them I was confident of my position so I'd quite happily see them in court, they went away like cowardly dogs.

well ideally you need to ensure you never move without informing the debt owner in writing.

we've seen many backdoor ccj's attained this way , typically we advise say 7 yrs since last use or payment.

as for this HSBC refund, it can't open any wounds as already explained.

HSBC had a nasty habit of merging, sometimes even without the debtors knowledge , all their debts into what they called a managed loan, this also got a new account number. 

this could be why no-one is recognising their now new A/C number indicated on the refund.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thanks for your comments.

I wondered if you were hinting at a CCJ, so I _just_ checked.

There are no records for me at the address I was living at the time, or subsequent.

I know that means a CCj could have been made more than 6 years ago so it wouldn't show, but I should have been told about it at the time.

As for HSBC, I just cheeked the final demand that gave a combined total for tthe current AC and CC, it gave the account numbers of each. The cheque received has a different last four digits ie, the account they quote is not know to me.

However, that's by the by.

Is there anything I can do to permanently put an end to the processing of my data.

I have not had any contact with any creditor/chaser since 2010 after I told them to take it to court, and only the letters I mentioned above since then - one in 2018 and one a few weeks ago.

It's totally unfair that my details are being bandied around 10 years later.

They had the chance in 2010 to take it to court and chose not to, but 11 years after the account was closed, my data is still being processed and passed around.

That's what I'm angry and concerned about.

I was confident back then I could beat them, what I don't want is the aggro comin back, or them haunting me for evermore.

there are no rules that dictate an OC or a DCA debt buyer has to cease contact nor destroy data after 6yrs, nor that once a debt is statute barred the owner is not allowed to contract you requesting payment. 

you need to remember that SB in E&W simply means a debt cannot be enforced, so DCA's don't bother with court.

it appears you might of been one of the many people that followed advice by members at the time to enter into all many of pointless letter tennis, sending this letter and that letter and most probably gained from this the idea that at some point, because people genuinely believed all the stuff stated in the letters banded around actually meant something,  it nailed debt owners into a box and they would stop and comply.

well no immunity cape batman, most of it was utter twaddle, however, the FCA conc rules of 2015 are a very useful tool.

i would be sending the relevant dca's a copy of our statute barred letter, in that you'll see a mention of conc, once they have that, should they still pester, some compo might be owed.

and they

there are no rules that dictate an OC or a DCA debt buyer has to cease contact nor destroy data after 6yrs, nor that once a debt is statute barred the owner is not allowed to contract you requesting payment. 

The DPA places controls on how data is collected and handled. One control is that only the data required (for the job in hand) should be collected, and that it must be kept only for as long as is needed. In correspondence, the ICO told me that 6 years (by custome & practice) would be the duration regarded as neccesary for data to be held. If there was't controls everybody with any data would be keeping it forever, and with cheap server farms that isn't impossible. I cannot see any reason why a bank who closed an account 11 years ago, and sold an alledged debt say 9 years ago still has any reason to hold ANY information about that account holder. Can you or anyone else?

it appears you might of been one of the many people that followed advice by members at the time to enter into all many of pointless letter tennis, sending this letter and that letter and most probably gained from this the idea that at some point, because people genuinely believed all the stuff stated in the letters banded around actually meant something,  it nailed debt owners into a box and they would stop and comply.

I don't know why you would say that. Why do you say that?

You're tottaly wrong. I was very economical in what I did. There was some tactics I understand that were later thrown out by court I undersatnd, but by that time I was out of it anyway. However, you're right that I did, and still do, rather naively expect banks and others to obey the law, and fopr reguklators to step in when they don't.

What I did do, is to challenge my creditors to prove that what they said was correct. In the end, as I have said when they refused to discuss the matter and simply kept repeating their stance, I told them to take it to court because I would not act on anything other than a summons. Not a single summons was ever received, and quite quickly, the letters slowed down and then stopped.

well no immunity cape batman, most of it was utter twaddle, however, the FCA conc rules of 2015 are a very useful tool.

I'm sure you didn't mean this to sound the way it did, but it's dangerous to say that... after all, you were posting during the time I was here looking for help... and still posting. Not that I would say you ever posted twaddle back then but others might.

i would be sending the relevant dca's a copy of our statute barred letter, in that you'll see a mention of conc, once they have that, should they still pester, some compo might be owed.

Well, I've had a look at this stuff, and must say, what a load of twaddle it is. Mindyou it comes from the FCA, so expecting anything that protects customer rights or restricts the financial industries actvities would be foolish eg

"a firm must not pass on a customer's details to third parties, including lead generators, debt management firms, lenders, owners, debt collectors or credit brokers, unless it is appropriate to do so."

Well, of course, banks DCAs etc NEVER do anything not appropriate do they? They never have. How can it be "not appropriate" when there is no criteria as to what actually IS appropriate?

However, the following is interesting:

"Notwithstanding that a debt may be recoverable, a firm must not attempt to recover a statute barred debt in England, Wales or Northern Ireland if the lender or owner has not been in contact with the customer during the limitation period."

now, the limitation period is 6 years, HSBC hasn't contacted me for 11 years.  Doesn't this guideline/rule apply? Or is sending me a letter suggesting I set up a payment plan not classed as "recovery attempt"?

Another bit that is also interesting:

"A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred."

Again, what does 'demand payment' actually mean? Is a letter informing me they are willing to set up a payment plan actually a jolly useful service to me, or is it actually a demand for payment?

I did eventually find the statute barred letter. I'll bear it in mind but it doesn't actually benefit me if they claim

that simply 'reminding' me that they can take staged payments isn't the same as demanding payment. What knowledge of what the so called conc rules actually mean it'll just open the door to more letters. At the moment they know there's little chance of getting paid, but if I start correspondence, they'll just pay more attention to it.

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, Melsbells64 said:

Hi sorry to Gate crash but  I wonder if you help me please. I had a credit card with HSBC. When I split from my husband 9 years ago he refused to pay any of the debt on card , even though it was for both of us it was in my name. I moved out and got on with my life. I received letters from hsbc and then  hoist holding about the debt but I ignored it. Since then I have moved 4 times and remarried so my sir name is different.  Just before Christmas I received a cheque for £25 from hsbc for charges applied to accounts in collection and recoveries. I didn't cash it . They then sent me one for £50 I didn't cash that either. I received a letter to say why I hadn't cashed the cheque.  I also ignored that, thinking why would they pay me for not paying the debt. Today now I received a cheque from them for over £500. Now I'm really confused and don't know what to do. Many thanks. Mel

We are very happy to help – but please could you start your own thread. Tacking your post onto the end of someone else's thread simply confuses the issue for them and it won't get you the best help that you need.

Also, when you repost your story – please would you make sure that it is properly spaced and punctuated. Solid blocks of text on – especially small screens such as telephone screens are extremely difficult to read and will put people off.

Thanks. Please start your own thread