• Tweets

• The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bizarre Refund Letter including a cheque received from HSBC....Scam ?or dangling a carrot for fishing? confused...

livingthedream
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ive today received the same letter and same amount, but the issue I have is the sceptic in me makes me wonder a couple of things.

I had an very old account with HSBC connected with a business account so not relating to me personally, it's a very long story but basically they attempted to get me to pay the companies overdraft, and I have argued the issue ever since. The supposed debt is potential statute barred as far as it relates to something that happened in 2010, however there are also mentions that as it relates to a bank overdraft that 12 years is the limit before statue barred, but i'm not 100%.

However the reason I am sceptic, is how does HSBC "apparently" know all my details and more interestingly my full name, account and now my current address (after 3 addresses and current address still not fully registered on credit files). I have remained away from any recorded data as much as I can, I have never corresponded with them, or any debt collector.

So is this £25 cheque a fishing exercise to confirm I am who I am at the address I am at? It could be legit and maybe they have had a slap on the wrist and told to compensate a bunch of us I don't know, but after having to play the debt collection game for over 10 years now, I'm aware of every trick possible.

Does banking the cheque trigger a confirmation, by banking this cheque, it confirm the name and the address they have are correct, ie they have found me!!

Or am I being over sceptic, I don't care about the £25 enough to potentially open pandoras box for them, the wording seems very pushy "simply bank the cheque", "yes please bank the cheque"

This all relates to a business account, and is not relevant to me personally, so any compensation should be paid the  limited company which is now gone, so why are they trying to pay me personally?

On 29/11/2020 at 21:39, theoldrouge said:

Just bank the cheque 

100% genuine 

Banked mine, cleared,

money in account ready for a bottle of something on HSBC for Christmas 

Have written to HSBC requesting details of their "failure "

and will decide on the details of their reply whether to press for further redress 

I'd be interested to hear potentially where this goes, the whole thing sounds a little to fishy to me, I don't care enough about £25 in order to open up any potential old wounds! I assume you were also had a debt, and assume you never cleared the debt either, and from the looks of it theres a pattern emerging from all of us who have received this letter, ie there was s debt and none of us settled it

Does banking the cheque open up the account again with a transaction and make it live?? just an idea but i'm filing this in the bin along with any other attempt they have made over 10 years

OD SB 12yrs..no.

and it doesnt matter if you bank the cheque, it can't be used as admittance to anything by you

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It's so grey I don't care £25 enough to even warrant banking it, I found "If you have reclaimed PPI, this is likely to have acknowledged the debt."

So by even the simplest of actions in which although you don't directly acknowledge the debt in black and white, the 6 year SB gets reset at the point of acknowledgement, by banking the cheque you are clearly acknowledging the debt did exist and you were involved, otherwise why would you accept the cheque?

OD SB is not 12yrs it's 6, and once a debt is sB'd nothing can unbar a  debt not even a judge.

PPI reclaiming does not reset the SB date or your acking of a debt anyway...amongst others, CITI bank tried this on by wanting to pay many successful PPI reclaims to DCA debt buyers as the debt had latterly been sold on. The FOS soon sorted them out on that.

you also need to read whole threads, with regards to my earlier post.... should the debt still be on the OC's book and statute barring.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Have you seen the 2019 case in relevance to acknowledgement of debt, talks a lot about potential of starting the 6 year clock again

"In January 2019 there was a decision in the Court of Appeal (Doyle v PRA) that has changed the point at which the six-year period starts for some debts including credit cards and loans."

"A good way to think of statute barring is that there is a 6 year timer. This is set running when the creditor has a cause of action. The sand takes 6 years to drain slowly through… at the end, your debt is statute barred.

But if you make a payment to the debt or acknowledge it in writing during the six years, the clock is reset back to start at 6 years again. So if you are making monthly payments, even tiny ones, a debt will never become statute barred as the clock resets back to 6 years every month."

For me it's the "acknowledgement of debt" that becomes to grey to risk

I'm not normally a sceptic, but £25 isn't worth it for me to even bother with it.

HSBC and Santander are to refund more than 115,000 customers after failing to alert them via text when they went into their unarranged overdraft.

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has ordered the two providers to pay out, after both broke a legal order requiring banks to alert customers before they're hit with unarranged overdraft charges.

HSBC has agreed to pay an estimated £8 million to approximately 115,754 customers. While this works out at an average refund of about £70, the bank says cases will be looked at individually, so refunds could be higher or lower.

The payments will consist of refunds of the overdraft charges, plus 8% interest.

29 November 2019

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/11/over-100-000-hsbc-and-santander-customers-owed-unarranged-overdr/

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

17 minutes ago, livingthedream said:

For me it's the "acknowledgement of debt" that becomes to grey to risk

your debt is already SB'd nothing can unbar an SB'd debt not even a judge.

had you actually owed money to HSBC and they still owned the debt, the refund would have come off the balance not be sentto you by cheque.

own thread created.

and they

These letters relate to very historic 

collection/recovery "service failures" concerning current accounts, credit cards and loans

I have not had an account or debt with HSBC since 2008

My gut feeling is that it maybe connected to the use of their fake inhouse  collectors 

Payment Sevices (PSB), Metropolitan and DG Solicitory

but I will know more when they reply to my letter demanding details

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Very much as expected 

HSBC is of course doing this to mitigate the fine from the  FCA

Much as Barclays has done 

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/fca-fines-barclays-treatment-customers-financial-difficulty

The question is whether £25 to £100 is sufficient redress 

When the facts come out 

this I very much doubt 

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

I've received 2 similar letters with cheques. I used to have a current account, a savings account and a loan with HSBC. 

I've banked both cheques, since the letter clearly states that this is compensation for their sub standard service :)