HSBC litigation?

Shah57
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1234 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

17 hours ago, Shah57 said:

There was no going forward income as the 1st lockdown came 6 weeks later and I went straight onto universal credit after that and have been on it ever since. 

Bottom line, at the time it was the only account I had add and all of my savings of £16500 were in there which I had no access to after it was blocked.

15 hours ago, Shah57 said:

I could go directly to court and as I'm on Universal Credit I'm exempt from any fees. 

If you had £16500 of savings, you weren't entitled to universal credit as your were over the £16,000 capital limit. Did you not declare your £16,500 of savings to the DWP?

It doesn't matter whether or not you could access the money, the fact that you didn't declare it is potentially fraudulent so you're at risk of prosecution or at least a large benefit overpayment which you'll have to repay. You should inform the DWP about your savings to prevent any future issues arising.

@Will Goodfellow

In exceptional circumstances, like the OPs, there shouldn't be any problems. 

The savings of £16k were not accesible I would imagine as the account was frozen etc 

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Yes - Possibly as the access to the £16k of savings etc was restored after so long. 

But its unlikely if HSBC can provide a letter of culpability for the issue. 

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I doubt the DWP will care much that the bank account was frozen, the fact is that Shah57 wasn't eligible to receive UC and failed to even mention the £16,500 plus another £1000 in compensation, £17,500. And still didn't notify the DWP once the savings were accessible. The DWP is not going to just ignore that fact and decide to pay UC where a person is over the capital limit. People would be stashing money in accounts and getting the accounts locked by the bank for fraudulent activity in order to keep the capital and claim benefits at the same time. It's not going to happen.

You've been advised to send an SAR.  Have you done that?

I understand also that you receive £1000 from the bank by way of some kind of apology. Did you accept this £1000? On what basis was it paid to you? Was it paid in full settlement? Did you accept it on that basis? Please could you post the letter which accompanied the payment or which gave you the notice of the payment