Online order wrongly sent two items instead of one - what should I do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1224 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I ordered a new computer last week online and it was faulty so had it replaced yesterday. This was also faulty so I had another replacement sent out today!

While I was negotiation either a refund or a replacement they asked me if I wanted to order a different one, so I had a look around the website but couldn't decide in the time I had so I just went for another one the same.

The delivery guy just turned up to take away the old one with a replacement AND the alternative one I was looking at!

So I took both anyway, because I'm still actually in two minds as to whether I want to stick with the original computer or go with the alternative, which might be more reliable because it's a more established company.

They didn't ask me for any credit card details so as far as I am aware so far they won't have charged me for the extra computer. Would they need to take my details again or would it go through automatically?

Am I within my rights to keep both if they've made a mistake and don't charge me?

I don't want to come across as dishonest, but well:

1. I've spent the past week setting up two computers, trying to fix things only to end up having to go through it all again today and this has been a huge waste of my time and a lot of stress (time is money)

2. I decided to just take both primarilly because I saw the box for the alternative and it looked nice and I thought I could just take both anyway and then decide which one to open and keep (because I'm guessing if I have been charged both to my card and I open both then I've got no legs on so far as a return is concerned)

Anyone got any consumer advice on what legs I have to stand on and what I should or should not do at this point?

Note you're not within your rights to keep it. I think we need to be realistic here.

Also, who are you dealing with? Did you buy it from?

AO

Seems reasonable. If no CC details were taken for the extra then that probably means they haven't billed me for the extra computer?

If they don't bill me and they don't notice am I committing an offense if I don't say anything?

On the plus side, it's a good thing the mistake happened because I decided to go for the alternative to the first one (which is made by an older company with a long history of producing quality and feels a whole lot more solid). I need something I can rely on not to crash while I'm in the middle of working.

I've got the other one still boxed and sealed so can see what happens.

Edited by Guest

Thank you. Well you certainly not your rights to keep any items accidentally delivered. Also, you can be sure that if they've got your credit card details then if they realise at some point the error then they are quite likely to put in a request for payment to your bank.

I suggest that you call them immediately and inform them of the error and tell them that they need to make arrangements to pick up the wrong the delivered goods. I would follow that up in an email if I you say you've got a paper trail.

At the same time, if you have pay by credit card then I would phone up the bank and give them an instruction not to pay anything further to this company – and follow that up in writing as well. Of course you should record your calls – read our customer services guide.

You say that you were interested in an alternative computer because it had a nice box. I'm not sure that this is a good way to buy computers.

In principle you would be entitled to claim storage and also compensation for the waste of your time in setting up these faulty computers. In practice, it might not be worthwhile. I can imagine that you might only be able to claim 50 quid or so and you would probably have to bring a court action in order to do that, with all the additional hassle that that entails and also the risk of losing so that you lose your court fees.

However, I do think that they should make an arrangement to collect the only delivered goods within seven days and I think you should set that down. If they then muck it up and take longer than 14 days then I think we have an interesting issue to deal with and you should let us know.

While the wrongly delivered items are in your possession, you actually have a duty to keep them safe.

Thanks. The alternative one was £50 more actually, so I'd be happy to accept no extra charge for the replacement to compensate me for all the hassle.

I said that on the phone when I was trying to decide but they didn't want to go for it.

If it has to go back and I have to pay an extra £50 then so be it, as long as I feel more happy with my purchase in the end is the main thing. Might be a blessing in disguise that the error was made.

The previous computer was slick as hell when it was running, but after so many BSODs and all the rest you just have to say no thanks, I'll try a different model please.

I'm really tired from spending late nights trying to get to the bottom of things, and fix issues so right now I think I can claim the right to have the weekend to set this new PC up and see how it performs before doing the right thing on Monday.

Well warn your bank not to pay any money

If I don't can they refuse to take it back and refund me?

"I just popped out for 5 minutes and when I came back the delivery guy had left them in my safe space"

I don't really understand what you are asking just there.

well whichever one you don't want you will have to return it.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 3 weeks later...

No they don't, as BF indicated they have to inform the company of the mistake and ensure the goods remain in the condition they were provided, it is the responsibility of the company to collect the goods not theirs to return unless this is pre-agreed and compensated for accordingly.

by return it, i didn't mean at your cost, no.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...