• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

caro v YB - defence & counterclaim ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6234 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well - I've started. Got my statements from Yorkshire Bank, although they tried to get £5.00 per sheet, but offered to do the lot for £50.00 instead of the £375.00 it "should" be. I wrote back sending a £10 PO and reminded them it was a request under the DPA so they sent every statement I ever had (left them 3 years ago).

They have not sent any information on any manual interventions, or confirmed that there weren't any. Should I chase them up on this, or can I assume that there weren't any and start claiming back over £1,900 (plus interest)?

I have looked in the FAQ's but can't see anything on this. Any help would be appreciated.

This is so exciting. REVENGE AT LAST!!!!

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Trundlecat. Good luck to you too.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 3 weeks later...

Update for you folks.

Checked all the credit reference agencies and everything OK there, including the joint stuff with hubby.

Thought long and hard about interest, and looked at various discussion threads. I decided to claim all of the overdraft interest, because the charges are much more than my overdraft ever was. I am not claiming any for the 3 years since I closed the account. YB only ever sent statements so I assume there was no manual intervention.

So I have got my preliminary requests for payment ready to drop in the letterbox at the branch tomorrow giving them 14 days to pay up. I rather hope they don't pay because I will get loads more if I can claim the 8% if I need to make a moneyclaim.

Charges £2,902.00 Interest £185.58 :lol:

I still can't believe I will get it, but everything on this site says I should.

By the way I am also sending a similar letter to Alliance and Leicester for £177.00 tomorrow.

I've said it once & I'll say it again:

[EDIT]!!

Go get em Caro!

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

Couldn't agree more TC. We can have one hell of a party when we get our money back:lol::lol::lol:

I actually dropped my preliminary request letter off at the branch after close of business yesterday. Happened to be walking past about 9.30 this morning and had visions of them opening my letter and the manager etc being gobsmacked at my nerve. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall! Can't wait for 14 days to be up. After some trepidation I am ready and eager for the fight now. It is sooo exciting.

:D

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall! Can't wait for 14 days to be up.

:D

Now, that would have been worth getting hit with the squatter lol :D Don't expect too much as far as a response though. Trunny's done quite well, but I think she's about the only one. I'm ready to file my claim [when I figure it out lol]

P

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

I am not expecting a good response. I really want to file a claim because the 8% interest would add an extra £1000 + to my claim.;)

I have been following yours and trunny's claims with interest and feel like I almost know you. Keep us all posted and good luck.

I really want to file a claim because the 8% interest would add an extra £1000 + to my claim.;)

I have been following yours and trunny's claims with interest and feel like I almost know you. Keep us all posted and good luck.

Got to admit that I was kind of hoping for the extra 8% as it takes my claim to almost £700, which will come in really useful, I'm just bricking it abit now lol TC's been a star tho :D

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

Received a letter today in response to my preliminary request for payment, from Neil McKirdy, dated 24 May. Pretty standard stuff.

Thank you for your letter dated 18 May 2006 received today, which has been passed to me for my attention.

As you will appreciate , I need to make investigations into the points you have raised. In the meantime, I thank you for your patience in this matter and I will contact you as soon as my investigations are complete.

I have enclosed for your information a copy of our internal Complaint Handling Procedures. These procedures confirm how to pursue your complaint and how to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service if we cannot resolve the matter.

Yours sincerely

This seemed to follow others experience on the site and I was thinking it took a while for the letter to reach them and started chuntering about Royal Mail taking 6 days to deliver a letter. Obviously I am not worried about YB's time scales as I gave them 14 days, so OK, LBA to be sent on 7th June.

But then I had a light bulb moment. I delivered the letter to the branch by hand myself and so it was received in the branch on 18th May. Unless I am mistaken they have 14 days from then. So unless they surprise me and agree to cough up without a murmur, LBA to be sent on 1st June. Going by the latest posts in this forum I think it may not be too easy, but they made my life hell when they were taking my limited income, and now I am ready to fight back

Now I have had a response I really feel like I have started in earnest with my claim. Over £3,000 is a life changing amount for me so I am absolutely determined.

Good luck, you are well on your way to getting your money back now! YB have also cost me a fortune, unfortunately I can only claim 1 years worth back as it was several years ago. I will claim every penny I can from them though.

A few more weeks and you will be a LOT better off :)

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

Have you thought about trying to go back further as suggested by BankFodder somewhere? What have you got to lose?:rolleyes:

Yes, I have thought about it! I am claiming the £300 that is within the 6 year period first, then i'm going to go for the time previous to that, using the £300 a year as an average figure.

As you say, I have absolutely nothing to lose apart from the potential court claim cost if it went to court and I lost. I'm willing to have a go!

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

Just finished preparing my LBA ready to post off tomorrow. I am sending it to Neil McKirdy. Just a tiny bit worried that DPA and prelim went to the branch, but as the prelim was passed to him for his attention, I think that should be OK. I have been a bit slow sendind LBA, but after the Tonight programme I thought I had better get things sorted quickly as I think the banks might be about to get busier.:p

It's a good idea to send it directly to Neil, Caro. I sent mine to my branch, but a copy to Neil [i did show on the letter that a copy had been sent to Neil]. I received a response from Neil in less than a week, then last week I had another letter from Neil, thanking me for the letter that YB had forwarded to him, then yet another letter on Friday stating that his initial response still stood! If he'd read the bloody thing properly, he'd have realised that it was the exact same letter!!!

He obviously hasn't got enough to keep him busy at the moment. I've a feeling after the Tonight programme last night the banks will be struggling to keep up with all the new claims.

Don't you feel sorry for them. Umm - NO!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

I've sent all mine to brnch (including serving the court papers) cos I like to imagine the look on my ex-managers face :)

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

I've sent all mine to the branch. If you go through Moneyclaim, you won't be able to serve papers to Neil McKirdy as you can only send them to English or Welsh addresses.

Yorkshire Bank £4697 Settled in full:D

Bank of Ireland Mortgages £1055 + Interests + costs Settled in full

MSDW £495 Settled in full

hello there I am a newby onto this site and I HATE the Yorkshire Bank for what they put me through. It was only after I saw Tonight the other day on the tele I knew anything about the charges being illegal, I have my statements and I am going to try and add up what they owe me. I cant believe they gave me all those sleepless nights I used to nearly beg them to lay off the bank charges so I could "catch" up. Revenge will be mine good luck with your claim

Ah thanks for that. Hope all goes well for you too. Have a good look at the FAQ's and you will soon get a handle on what you need to do. Start your own thread too and then we can all follow your progress and answer any questions that you can't find answered elsewhere.

YOU WILL GET YOUR REVENGE!!!!:D

Think I will pop a copy of my LBA to the branch too to be on the safe side when if comes to doing Moneyclaim. Thanks for the advice.:cool:

Got my sod off letter today in response to my LBA. Some of it looked familiar and after checking is taken straight from the defence YB have put in against Rachel's mum.

The final para advises that I should write to the Bank's Customer Relations Manager (as per the complaints leaflet procedure) at the address in Glasgow.

The letter came from this address and was signed....

Neil McKirdy

Customer Relations Manager

So I should complain to the person who is saying sod off!! Why??

If anyone wants the full transcript I will put it in, but it's 2 pages long, so I won't bother if nobody wants it. Please feel free to ask if you want me to do it though. It might help somebody.

Time to join the YB Moneyclaimers. The club is growing fast.

Just wondering whether to send another LBA reminding them that I will take action if not resolved in 7 days. That would still be within my timetable and would show what a reasonable person I am if it gets to court. Any thoughts anyone?

Welcome to the YB Moneyclaimers :D lol If it's a definate 'Sod Off' Caro, I'd just crack on with the filling in the claim form. I think this Neil McKirdy must be getting a bit fed up now with us lot lol, and I would be seriously surprised if he did actually say 'yes, we'll pay up' to any of our LBA letters - I think he'll push every last one of us into making a claim - oh well, at least that way we get the 8% interest lol

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6234 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks