starter advice

AbbeyMan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6216 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks, and thanks for this site, it's giving me hope that I can do something!

I've got two current accounts with Abbey, one is overdrawn and is the one that had the charges month after month, the other is one I'm now using in my name, courtesy of a good mate which is clear and I've transferred my salary, bills etc to operate from.

What I want to ask is, when I start the process to claim back charges I've read that my account might be closed by Abbey. Are they likely to close the other account as well ?

They have messed up my finances for the last year so my credit rating to get an account with another bank is not good.

BTW I rang to get a card for the second account this morning and had to speak to debt management who will only let me have a cash card, and want £250 a month to clear the overdraft of £1200. I explained that I couldnt afford this, so they are referring it to a debt collection agency straight away, no discussion, no negotiation, nothing, again will I get charged for this ?

Thanks again, a worried

Abbeyman

Hi folks, and thanks for this site, it's giving me hope that I can do something!

I've got two current accounts with Abbey, one is overdrawn and is the one that had the charges month after month, the other is one I'm now using in my name, courtesy of a good mate which is clear and I've transferred my salary, bills etc to operate from.

What I want to ask is, when I start the process to claim back charges I've read that my account might be closed by Abbey. Are they likely to close the other account as well ?

They have messed up my finances for the last year so my credit rating to get an account with another bank is not good.

BTW I rang to get a card for the second account this morning and had to speak to debt management who will only let me have a cash card, and want £250 a month to clear the overdraft of £1200. I explained that I couldnt afford this, so they are referring it to a debt collection agency straight away, no discussion, no negotiation, nothing, again will I get charged for this ?

Thanks again, a worried

Abbeyman

Hi, i hope i can ans some questions for you. Its up to Abbey, but i think its unlikely that they would close your acc you still owe them money. I have a parachute acc but I'm still able to use the Abbey acc even though I'm waiting for their defence.

As to you paying back your overdraft, there are template letters somewhere on this site on how to deal with debt collection agencies. I'll have a look for you

Hello AbbeyMan

NatWest are supposed to be quite a good bank to open a parachute account with, even if your credit rating is poor. The 'Step' account is what you need to ask for.

I've only heard people talking about it, not through personal experience, but you could give it a try.

Phil:)

This is only my personal, honest opinion!

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, possibly another daft question. I'm getting grief from the abbey about repaying my OD now that I've stopped usign the account. I want to make them an offer to show myself as reasonable but I don't know if this would mess up any claim on the charges? By making an arrangement am I admitting liablity for the charges on my account ?

Thanks as always !

AbbeyMan

I was in the same position £1200 overdraft and they accepted £86 per month until it was paid off. I have opened a Natwest Steps account as my parachute and I recommend you do that if you haven't already. If they do refer it to a debt recovery agency they are legally bound to accept any acceptable offer you make them as long as you can back it up with proof it is all you can afford. Looking at the bigger picture though, keep up your fight here and take it step by step, you will get all your charges back and you should then be able to settle the debt in full in one go, and surely that will make you feel a lot better.

:eek:ABBEY

Data Protection Act request complied with within 40 Days and no £10 charge..

31/01/07 Prelim Letter sent with schedule of charges.

19/02/07 LBA Sent with schedule of charges

08/03/07 MCOL started

09/03/07 £160 GOGW payment into account

23/07/07 Court Date set for 10/10/07

02/08/07 CPR Part 18 Request Submitted

10/08/07 Stay requested by Abbey :mad:

20/08/07 Claim Stayed by District Judge :mad:

:eek:HSBC

02/02/07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Letter sent

22/02/07 Statements received and again no £10 charge...."happy to provide at their cost"

26/02/07 Prelim Letter to be sent with schedule of charges.

12/03/07 LBA sent with schedule of charges

spicester you lucky person was that all of them statements that is and nat west acc easy to set up abbeyman and think of all the charges youll get back from what they charge you lolxxkia

look in the templates section and there's a letter saying that this account is now in dispute. So long as you make some minimum payment into the a/c then you should be fine, but a parachute is the way to go. I used A&L

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

spicester you lucky person was that all of them statements that is and nat west acc easy to set up abbeyman and think of all the charges youll get back from what they charge you lolxxkia

Yes complete set of statements for the last 4 years including a lot off microfiche.

08/03/07 MCOL started

22/02/07 Statements received and again no £10 charge...."happy to provide at their cost"

Once again thanks folks ! Have set things up with NatWest who are so easy to deal with in comparison ..

Will get the letters sorted for the Abbey and will be back for more advice haha!

AbbeyMan

my statements where hit amd miss and im still missing about 13 months of statements but not consectutive ones either just to confuse me or cos they thought i wouldnt check ha lolxxkia

Once again thanks folks ! Have set things up with NatWest who are so easy to deal with in comparison ..

Will get the letters sorted for the Abbey and will be back for more advice haha!

AbbeyMan

Good Luck - keeping an eye on your thread mate, I have just sent off my Prelim letter today - keep ya fingers crossed lol.

08/03/07 MCOL started

• 1 month later...

Evening all! Well surprise, surprise the letter was sent off 28 Feb and I got an answer along with 12 months of bank statements. I've copied the letter from the Abbey person below and would welcome any comments (keep em cleanish folks haha!)

I quote:

Thank you for your recent enquiry, requesting information on your bank account. I also acknowledge receipt of your £10.00 fee.

I confirm that arrangements have been made for the information you have requested to be sent to you. The transactional information remaining on our systems, normally covering the last fourteen months, will be sent out in the form of duplicate statements. You should receive these within five to seven working days of the date of this letter.

Any previous transactions have been archived onto microfiche and it is not possible to provide you with a computer print out of this information. However, we have made arrangements to send you a list of archived transaactions between 2001 and 2005, under seperate cover.

With regards to any 'manual interventions' that may have been made on teh account. We consider 'manual intervention' to mean an aciton that is not automatic or computer-driven. Not all manual interventions are recorded, for example if a member of staff looks at a paper document relating to an account, a record is not always required. Similarly some interventions may relate to work carried out by a department rather than individuals where no central record of activity is kept because this is not the information we need, or more importantly, that a customer would usually request.

If you have any questions etc etc.'

Am I being simple but does the last paragraph make any reasonable sense at all?

Anyway I'm wading through the statements here, jsut wanted to check one thing. Charges - all charges inc those for 'unauthorised overdrafts' as well as transaction charges ?

Cheers all !!

Ello again folks. Abbey have sent the first batch of statements through covering the last 12 months. I have a feeling that they won't comply with the SA request within the 40 days. Is there anything stopping me from going for a claim for the charges from last year (it's a considerable sum - over £3k) and then going for the rest when I get the previous 5 yrs info through? Or is the advice to wait and claim the lot in one ?

Ta!

AbbeyMan

Abbey have been behaving in getting this info to people following a kick up the bum from Information Commisioner. Since you have asked for the info i would wait till the time is up before continuing. When is 40 days up???

Not a problem mate. Its not even my claim against Abbey, its for my girlfriend but the hardship they have put her through makes me determined to get her and everyone elses money back. I'm plaing the waiting game at the moment but logon here "in works time" everyday to help answer questions and also it helps me get my head round the next step. AQ submitted and awaiting directions. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/42608-sparkys-lass-abbey.html:cool:

Sparky thanks for that mate !

It's interesting that you got the same reply about the microfiche, and your letter about their excuse worked ? I got that excuse as well so will wait and see what comes through the post by Monday and go from there ...

afternoon folks, an update and requeswt for more advice please.

The deadline for the 6yrs of statements has passed and all I've had is the past 12 months duplicates through. Where do I go now? Do I chase them for the rest of the information before I take action, or send them the letter asking for the refund and one stating they are in breach at the same time ?

Cheers!

AbeyMan

hi there, every is different with me, It took 5months for Abbey to supply me the rest of my statements and had waited, well i would not have been paid by now. its up to you, you can estimate the rest of the claim based on the charges you are already aware of. Just make sure that you inform abbey that part of the amount is estimated and that they have failed to provide you with the info under the DPA. for me, in the end Abbey gave me the info at AQ stage.

evening folks.... have just done the prelim letter for Abbey. They haven't complied with the DPA request so I'm going to report them for that. I ahve put a sentence in the letter stating that the claim I'm going for is a part claim as they haven't complied.

I'm confused about the interest though. Can someone please explain it to me in very short words? I know about not adding the 8% on yet, and have done my own s/sheet that shows the monthly chrages and the gaps where i haven't got the statements yet. But I don't get the bit about adding interest where i can prove it was caused by the charges ?

Thanks folks!

AbbeyMan

hi there this the interest that the bank charged you while you were overdrawn. As to separating it.... lets say you have an overdraft on your acc, the amount on interest you put on the spreadsheet is excluding any normal interest charged while you are overdrawn( in your overdraft) If you don't have an overdraft, this is much easier to calculate.

Hope this makes sense