Avro Energy. Standing charge.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 179 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, this is my first post for quite a few years so forgive me if I have done anything wrong.

I have a problem with Avro charging a standing charge

. In September we had a major house fire which left us with nothing and we have had to move out possibly for 9 to 12 months.

While we were being found a rental property by the insurance company I cancelled payment to Avro and also other utilities i.e council tax, water rates and Sky t.v. The only one I have had grief with is Avro. Although the services cannot be used and the house is boarded up they are still insisting I pay a standing charge of £30 per month.

Up till now I have paid nothing and now they are talking debt recovery. I contacted them and explained AGAIN why I thought this was unreasonable due to the circumstances but to no avail.

As I was talking to someone different i asked what the standing charge actually was and was told it was 21p per day for each service. Reluctantly I said I would pay this as it was better than the original amount of £30 per month. I was then informed that £30 was the correct amount as the property was empty!!!

What difference that makes I have no idea.

Can they do this.

Hi I'm not sure I will have to check. There is a difference in the council house bands between our house and the house we are renting and our assessor said the insurance should make up the difference for that so maybe they will.

As far as Im aware there is no way of stopping a Standing Charge to a property unless you move out and sell the property or give them notice you wish to end the supply. Energy providers will then try to pass on the charge to the new owner...if they can get away without it being spotted.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Greetings the only thing I can advise it to either disconnect your Gas and Electric by teminating your contract or get them

out to cap-off  your meters, but there is a fee for an engineer come out and cap-off your meters, the same again when you

move back.

Also the only thing I see in there T's and C's is if you owe them money for unpaid bills is they can charge you 2.5%

above Bank of England's base rate each day as it accrues.

If you terminate there may be early exit fees in addition to energy used and standing charges on all fuels, and of course 5% Vat on top if you are a retail consumer or 20% Vat on top if you are a business consumer.

Andrew

ASI Industries = As i in does tries!

As i in does tries!: My definition.

I will try, i may never succeed in the goal, but at least by trying i have a greater chance of success than never trying at all!

My opinions are my own & occasionally may offend, but it is not my intention to cause offence in the first place!