Smart insurance protecting damage to paintwork on car

todd390
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1238 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I brought a new car in November 2018 and as we don't have PPI anymore the sales teams promote Smart Insurance for damage to paintwork and alloys. Sound good that if you have any damage they will sort it I know.

That's not the case though.

On November 5th this year my car was hit by a rocket firework while parked outside my house which is in a gated property. The firework left a small dent in the bonnet and scorch marks on the bonnet. 

I phone the smart insurance and sent them photographs of the damage on 6th November so they could assess the damage. I received an email saying they will contact me when they have an expert assess the damage.

I had to phone back 6 days later 12th November and they informed me that the damage was not covered on the policy. The policy states that small dents are covered but if the repair would be over 4 hours then it would no be covered.

After all this I decided to go through my insurance who have agreed to have the damage repaired but (my own fault for not reading) my excess is £600.

Obviously I need the repair sorting as it makes the value of the car less if selling. 

I was wondering if I should write to the smart insurance and either get the policy cancelled as it seems to another way, like PPI, of getting money out of customers with no intention of actually providing any safeguard when a situation arises?

I welcome positive thoughts and advice on this matter if anyone has any. If it is a futile action trying to recover my well earned £600 then so be it.

Do you agree that their policy covers you only for work up to 4 hours?

Also, how was it sold you? Were you given an opportunity to read the terms and conditions/policy before you agreed?

What does my SMART policy cover?

Please see the diagram for eligible areas.

• Scratches, scuffs and dents up to 300mm in length and 3mm deep
  • Stone chips up to 5mm in diameter and 1.5mm deep
  • Covers vulnerable panels including front and rear valances
  • Professionally repaired to immaculate standards

https://smartinsurance.com/minor-damage-insurance/

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Well I certainly don't see anything there which refers to a maximum of four hours work.

Even if there is such a clause, I can't imagine that they would then have the right to refuse the claim in its entirety. I would have thought that it would be reasonable that they should pay up to 4 hours and anything over that is to be paid by the insured – a kind of excess, if you like.

What a shame that @todd390 posts a question and then disappears from the forum within seven minutes without looking for any replies.

Like some people I haven't got all day to sit at a computer and develop conspiracy theories about people and acting like a prick  I have a full time job to go to. 

I looked at the booklet after speaking to the insurance and there is a clause that includes the over 4 hours labour for repairs. I didn't imagine it. 

When I return home I will have a look again to make sure I am right. 

I shan't make any unwarranted attacks regarding your reply and the lack of brain cells that you posses. 

Thank you. 

Another 7 minutes used during a well deserved break as a key worker.

The people here have full-time jobs as well – as well as helping you free of charge.

I'm not going to edit out your foul language because it will tell everyone a little bit more about the kind of person we are dealing with.

Apart from that, I would like to see the clause that includes over four hours labour. Of course it's you who went and bought it and then found that you are wasting your money. We try to help you save a bit of money – and if we can see the wording then I'd like to convince myself that you couldn't claim at least for the first four hours.

If that seems to be a reasonable interpretation then we will help you do that.

Also, it's important to know where this four hour condition is stated. If it is simply a clause tucked into the terms and conditions then it may not be applicable. It would have to beef stated fairly clearly in a way that your attention would have been brought to it when you entered into the arrangement.

And just to add further. You have a full-time job – so bravo. There are heaps of people around who don't have full-time jobs and would dearly like one and are in a terrible position because they don't have a full-time job.
So I think that lording it over people who don't have a full-time job is rather unworthy

I didn't see any foul language in my reply. The type of person I am is decent. I got the impression from your first reply that you had suspected I was trying to use the group for poking fun at it by referring to my 7 minutes on line.

I was then in the process of getting ready for work. 

I understand that people do go on group sites and waste time of other people. 

If I am still allowed by your group I will look the information up and post it.

If not allowed then all I can say is thank you for your time and good luck in the future. 

Regards

Todd390

Of course you are allowed – but I'm afraid that calling me a prick only shows the kind of person you are – and certainly doesn't show the kind of person that I am.

Now post up the information and let's get on with it

I wasn't using the 'having a full time job as a tool. Just basically saying I used a bit of time I had to seek information about a subject. I used the group a few years ago regarding bank charges, and I must say you were very helpful and I applaud you. 

So why do't you show us the wording of the four hour condition and also tell us in what document it was contained.

Insure your £600 excess with an annual payment of about £45. That way, you should not be concerned if you do have to use the usual insurance as you will get your £600 back.

Save the SMART (It's an acronym!) insurance for when you scuff an alloy wheel or two.

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Firstly let me apologise for getting off on a bad foot, hopefully you will accept this.

As you see in the exclusions it give a description of what is not covered.

The booklet says a dent of 30 cm in diameter and 3 mm in depth, I also enclose a picture of the dent.

Page 4 says Any repairs which are greater than these limits or are estimated to exceed four hours to complete will not be considered to be Minor Cosmetic Damage and are therefore not covered by this policy.

Photos attached for you information.

Best regards

Chris 

20201117_211137.jpg

20201106_124829.jpg

20201117_213828.jpg

20201117_211217.jpg

Hammy 62,

Thanks for your reply unfortunately I did not read the insurance renewal this time as usual. Getting my insurance at £880 Comprehensive was good with 9 years no claims.

I learned my lesson with that for next year. I have always gone on line to get better quotes over the years, but this year I was foolish. I wont be next September.

Using £600 excess also cost me 5 years no claims, £600 is most of the cost of my insurance - I won't be using LV again in  a hurry.

Thanks

Chris

Homer 67,

Thanks for the suggestion. I should have done that but alas LV have got the case in hand at the cost of my excess £600 on a £880 Comprehensive policy. 

Fingers have been burnt with that one. I learnt my lesson and a loss of 5 years no claims.

Thanks

Chris  

• 2 weeks later...