• Tweets

• No the order states quite clearly " Documents Filed 39 November 2018 must be served on the Defendant and a certificate of service filed "   Your initial defence put them to strict proof to disclose the documents you would have requested within your defence. If you have never received the documents then the claimant has not complied with the above order...and you must inform the court same.   You don't want a DQ yet as you don't want it to proceed to allocation until they comply with the above order.
    • I don't want to interfere with the way that my site team colleague is going to advise you – but in the event that there is some liability, I think it's possible to separate the old liability – up to the time of the returned payment from the more recent liability. I don't think you've told us anything about the entire sum that they are claiming. I don't think you've told us anything about the sum which you originally paid and they returned to you. In respect of the first part – the sum that they returned to you, if they are trying to recover that now, I think you could usefully look at the doctrine of estoppel.
    • Nothing has been served since mediation. However when you read it it seems that they are to service it on me rather than prove the served it. There is also to time constraint on the order.    The court stated that the matter was never referred to a DJ, Lowell must have complained and had it referred, Portsmouth CC had the claim sitting around since last year 2020 somewhen, but I was confused as to what happened to it before.    I've uploaded it redacted.  IMG_8644.pdf
    • Has the claimant served any documents on you as per the order of 2018 since mediation? 
    • Dates 19 Jan 2021   Rang the court, they said it was delayed and not transferred to them locally until last year and then Lowell chased them to process it and continue.  However I am really puzzled as if it went to court, should I not have received a Directions Form to complete?
  • Our picks

• Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies
    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies

Puppy with serious Heart Murmur - How to take action

We are not offended. But we try to give you advice all the way and you seem to want to go your own way including hiding the identity of the breeder – for whatever reason, I can't possibly fathom – except that during the time that you have been hiding their identity, other animals presumably may have been at risk and other purchasers also may have had difficulty. Had you posted the identity of the breeder here, people might have stumbled on this information and become aware.

It seems to me absolutely normal that if you start taking advice from somebody then you stick with it. We are not offended, but is a bit frustrating to feel that we are putting effort into helping you – but in fact you are off doing your own thing and not necessarily in your best interests.

Anyway, you've sent a 28 day letter so you have to stick with it. You say you haven't done this kind of thing before so you need to read around and find out the steps involved in taking a small claim in the County Court. Now you have a decision as to whether to look at the advice we give here on that or go to Which? or whoever else you may have been consulting.

One of the problems about having gone to Which? is that although they have effectively given you a letter of claim to copy out which gives 28 days before taking legal action, they didn't explain to you that 28 days wasn't necessary and that the pre-action protocol only requires 14 days. So you came away from them not really understanding the whole story and the choices you had.
I'm afraid I was find it very frustrating that these organisations which purport to inform and empower consumers don't tell them the whole story.

The reason why Which? gives this kind of softer advice is because they don't want to alienate themselves from corporate interests and they don't want to seem to be to pushy. Unfortunately we have found over 15 years that in order to assert your rights properly, you need to be pushy. The County Court papers are the great Equalizer between you and all sorts of commercial interests including huge multinationals.
Still, let's see maybe your breeder will respond within 28 days with something satisfactory.

However, you better be prepared and ready to take the next step – if you know what that is