Three - Problems after contract cancellation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, just wondering if I could get any advice from someone.

I could rant for hours on this but, I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

Back in November 2019, I took out a contract with Three for my son. I already have my own contract with them, and also one for my son. However, I wanted to change his number so took out this new contract for that purpose.

Spoke to Three on the phone in November 2019, told them that I wanted to cancel this contract. Adviser gave the usual retentions speech, asking if I'd like to keep it for another family member. After refusing this, she agreed to cancel the SIM card, after the 1 month notice period.

Some time later in 2020 (around May), I realise that Three are taking 3 x contract payments off me each month. I dug out the old SIM card and was horrified to see it was still active. Tried to speak to Three at the time. Because of lockdown, I had to do it in a webchat session. Explained my position to the adviser, who claimed I requested a PAC code, which was not used. I couldn't receive a PAC code as the SIM had always been removed from the phone. After a brief argument, he tried to pass my chat off to a customer services team member. The chat session crashed, and couldn't get into another chat session with Three. I made a mental note to go back the next day and try again but got sidetracked.

July, I realise that these payments are STILL being taken. I went on their website and chose the option to cancel my contract online.

In September, again I see that payments were still being taken. Started another chat session with three, who said that they could see the account was cancelled in November 2019 but, the PAC code wasn't used. Had a large back / forward with the agent because I wanted this cancelled, not ported and, the agent repeatedly ignored what I said.

Eventually, chat was transferred to another customer service representative. Had the same argument with them but, they conceded that there was a fault there, and would refund me 3 months service. By this time, they had taken 9 payments of around £50 from me. Explained that 3 months was simply unacceptable. Adviser said he could not give any more than 3 months refund, so I explained that I would be speaking to my bank to launch an indemnity claim.

Claimed back January - September 2020's payments, totalling £452.

Now, Three have passed my account to their collectors (CRS). I have explained to CRS the full situation and that Three have unlawfully taken these payments without my authorisation for 9 months, and I have simply claimed this back via indemnity under the DD guarantee.

In my last communication to CRS, I have stated that I am willing, and considering, seeking legal advice on this matter. Wondering if anyone has any advice on how I should proceed with this?

Send in SAR immediately. It will take 30 days and let us know what you find.

Have you been recording these calls? Do you have any evidence of the conversations?

Thank you for the reply @BankFodder - Will do.

As for the calls, the only one I have is a saved copy of the webchat session in September with Three, where they offered a 3 months refund. However, at the start of the session I did state I had cancelled back in November 2019, the adviser said "Yes, i can see it was cancelled" but then went on to say "Because the PAC code was not used the account was activated". A different adviser in the same chat apologised for the inconvenience and offered an 3 month refund.

The other calls / chats I don't have saved. The first one back in November 2019. I took it at face value that Three would respect my wish to cancel the account.

With CRS, everything has been in email, so I have record of it.

I'll prepare the SAR and get it sent off to them recorded delivery.

Quick question on the SAR

When I contacted them to cancel the SIM card, it would have been from my own contracted number with Three. Should I send an SAR for both contracts?  If so, can I simply include both account numbers in the SAR, or do I need to raise a separate request for each account? Both are in my name / address.

When you send them on SAR, don't refer to contracts, phone numbers, anything. Simply give your name and your address that they already have on record – and nothing else.

In other words keep it wide open. Don't set any limits or give them hints as to what you want them to produce. Click on our SAR link for instructions on a template.

Read our customer services guide and make sure your son reads the customer services guide as well.

You may not be recording conversations and protecting yourself but you may as well start training your son to do so for the future.

or just ignore everyone..

stuff and all CRS a powerless DCa can do...??

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...