TV licensing and Data Protection

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, 

Please move this thread if another subforum suits better, I couldn't see any specific ones.    

My wife has just had a threatening letter from TV Licensing.  For the last year we have been getting threatening letters to "The Resident" which have been ignored as we have no need of their services.  

She has never had any contact with them at our current address.

Is this a data protection breech?

Do they have to tell her how they got her information?

How can we complain and get her details removed from their systems?  

Thanks

I will guess you have not long resided there?

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Is it addressed to your wife or simply the occupier?

Either way, ignore them, it's just a computer generated threatogramme they spit out on a cycle every three months, I've got a stack of their silly missives threatening this that and tother, the worst thing you can do is to be reeled in by their empty threats and start corresponding with them.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Its now named to my wife which is why its so odd as all the household bills are in my name.  

I dont really want to correspond with them as you say I will get sucked it.  I will ignore it, probably best.  

Thanks

Yes, simply ignore them, once they have sent a small forest of idle threats they'll address them to 'the legal occupier'' then you know you've won and you can continue ignoring them in the knowledge that they can't do anything because they have no idea who lives at the address.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

simply got the name from her credit file as a registered voter at a property that previously the old owner had no licence for

hence says the occupier.

now all they have done is looked at credit file/voters register.

safe to ignore

if you ever get a powerless capita foot solider at your door ignore them

they are just like a DCA and have zero legal powers.

• Like 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If you prefer a more forthright approach, e-mail [email protected] demanding they cease and desist sending you harassing communication.

If they continue, ignore it and keep it as evidence. If they send anyone, ignore them, document it and keep it as evidence.

I would then refer to the CABs comprehensive advice on taking action about harassment.

Edited by FruitSalad1010
17 hours ago, MrJohnW said:

Its now named to my wife which is why its so odd as all the household bills are in my name.  

I dont really want to correspond with them as you say I will get sucked it.  I will ignore it, probably best.  

Thanks

Don't know whether this still happens, but I bought a TV from Curry's about 14 years ago and they put down my house number wrong on Curry's records.  About a month later a neighbour gave me a letter from TV licencing asking why I did not have a licence at my neighbours address.

If this still happens, with retailers passing on data, then could this be reason for wife's name showing ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

No longer happens UB, I remember when they changed that ruling, I went to my local Argos and bought an indoor aerial and they tried to tell me that they needed my name and address for TVL.

Told them that was no longer the case, sure enough the duty manager confirmed it.

Not sure why it was changed, might have had something to do with the DPA?

capita look at voters via credit files and after the usual to 'the occupier' letter they then typically send it to anyone not a child at an address.

my neighbour cancelled his licence more than 18mts ago now and still regularly get letters to all 3 adults living therein rotation

and they

6 hours ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

If this still happens, with retailers passing on data, then could this be reason for wife's name showing ?

Retailers no longer need to tell TV Licensing who they sell TVs to. The requirement was abolished in 2013.

Reason was that it was considered an unnecessary bureaucratic burden and was abolished as part of the government's 'cutting red tape' initiative at the time.

Edited by Ethel Street