Lowell Solicitors / Halifax Personal Loan now Court Claim Received ***Claim Discontinued***

Spamalot
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm being threatened with litigation by Lowell solicitors for an old Halifax loan that I defaulted on in 2008.

I was paying the Halifax a reduced amount up until 2018 when my circumstances changed and I could no longer afford it and stopped paying.

After a time I received an assignment letter from the Halifax saying that they had assigned the loan to Lowell but here's the issue.....

the assignment had a completely different account number on it,

one of which is never mentioned in any of my paperwork

I have completely ignored Lowell and let them run their course.

Neither account number is on mycreditfile as the original dropped off years ago.

I recently received the pre litigation form which I completed and disputed the account/ alleged debt and requested a copy of the agreement, default notice, assignment and statements for the account number that they have been assigned.

I was sent a copy of an application form for the original loan (account number completely different to the one assigned.),

a computer screenshot of when a default notice was sent.( account number completely different to one assigned,)

and a computer printout of a list of figures with no identification of an account number or customer.

not one document they have sent has the assigned account number on.

Along with the rubbish they have sent me, they have asked me to contact them with my intentions towards the account.

I'm tempted to let them run with it and sue the Halifax for Data protection breaches just for jollies, but I need to be sensible :-)

Any suggestions on how I should go forward with this? 

Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They say money talks......mine just keeps saying "Goodbye"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Topic moved to  Halifax Bank and Bank of Scotland Forum...please continue to post here.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Start off by sending SARs to Halifax and to Lowell. Keep them very widely worded. Use our SAR template with minimum of changes.

Separately, you should also ask for CCA agreement. Do this all now

• 2 months later...

So I sent a SAR and CCA to Lowell and the Halifax

I am awaiting the result from the Halifax who say it could take until March.

Lowell provided me with exactly the same documents as before and completely ignored the CCA request. When I informed them that they had failed to provide what I had requested their response was to issue me a  County Court Claim for an account number bearing no resemblance to the paperwork they have in my name. 

Happy days.......

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What date is the court claim ?

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

I've moved you to Financial Legal Issues Forum Spam in view of the court claim.

Read the following link and then copy the Q,s and your responses and post back here for further advice.

• Andyorch changed the title to Lowell Solicitors / Halifax Personal Loan now Court Claim Received.

Name of the Claimant ? Lowell Portfolio Ltd

Date of issue –  27.Jan 2021

Particulars of Claim

What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? 

1) Defendant entered into an agreement for a Halifax (Unsecured Loan) account under reference XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (the agreement)

2) The defendant failed to maintain the required payment and the service was terminated

3) The agreement was later assigned to the Claimant on xx/xx/xx and notice given to the defendant.

4)Despite repeated requests for payment the sum of 2,600 remains due and outstanding

And the claimant claims

a) the said sum of 2,600

b) costs

What is the total value of the claim? 2,800

Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? yes

Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? Yes

Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? Halifax were notified of my change of address

Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account?
Unsecured personal loan

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? Before

Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? in branch

Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ? NO ..... account they are quoting never has been, the account number not assigned dropped off a couple of years ago.

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Assigned to debt purchaser

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? I received a notice of assignment of an account number I don't recognise

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Not for the account number assigned

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? No, not for the account number assigned, up until November 2015 for Halifax Loan

Why did you cease payments? I have never paid anything to the account number assigned.... The loan that I did have with the Halifax I had an arrangement with and failed to transfer the standing order when I changed bank accounts... Then life got in the way and I forgot

What was the date of your last payment? I believe it was May 2018, but not certain as bank account is now closed.

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? Yes

What you need to do now.

Answer the questions above

If you have not already done so – send a CCA request to the claimant for a copy of your agreement (If Applicable)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:thumb: So no need to CCA again...just CPR 31.14 now they are litigating. When you get chance scan redact and upload copies of what Lowell sent in response to your earlier CCA request.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I've uploaded the docs they sent as a result of PAPDC notice request and SAR

There is another sheet of 'statement' but I don't think it adds anything to the mix.

On all the documents provided the account number format is x/xxxxxxxx-x 

the account number they have been assigned and are claiming for is a bank account number format xxxxxx xxxxxxxx 

I'll crack on with the 31.14 asap 

👍🤓

Lowell_docs.pdf

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Andy or any other knowledgeable beings out there... 👋👋

I have completed my AOS online and am currently prepping my CPR 31.14. Can I safely assume that as the default notice wasn't mentioned in the POC that I am not able to ask disclosure of it?

Thanks in advance 

Spam 🤓

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 28/01/2021 at 13:52, Spamalot said:

2) The defendant failed to maintain the required payment and the service was terminated

is the dn.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks dx.

I have sent off the CPR 31.14 request.

Whilst going through my papers I believe I have discovered what the mix up is.

Back in the day, when Blair Oliver and Scott were 'collecting' the bank account number they were asking for repayments to go into is exactly the same as that which has been assigned to Lowell.

This might seem a stupid question, but does that mean the Halifax have assigned their own bank account?

I'm assuming that If I'm paying into it to pay off a loan it wouldn't belong to me.....

Happy to stand corrected if anyone out there knows how mechanics of these things work.

Anyhoo, I have received my SAR from the Halifax today and can't find anything so far in relation to that bank account number other than it's been sold, but I've got a lot of papers to sort through, so watch this space.....

Spam 🙃

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

States purpose of loan " Consolidation " on the application form so its possible that there are two agreement numbers being mixed up here.

Andy

urm.. notice of assignment could be interesting then...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Andy.... I have been through my SAR and none of my ex account numbers tally with it.

I have however found a sheet referring to that account number, and I would definitely say that it is a 'receiving account' because as I have  been repaying my loan instalments the balance in that account has increased by that amount. So if I've read it correctly, the Halifax have sold the account that I have been making my repayments into and not the actual debt. 

Again, I could be totally wrong, but I can find no other reference to that account.

I guess it will all come out in the wash when it reaches court.

I also know from the SAR that there is no default notice on the system, so if one magically appears I can challenge its authenticity.

I've yet to find a copy of the assignment, but I shall keep on looking.

dx.... definitely interesting!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sounds messy ...the only explanation could be that it was given a new number when it hit collections before assignment.

Maybe.....either way I wasn't informed, so they'll have some explaining to do 🙃 If I hadn't got my SAR I would never have known that account number existed or was linked to my personal loan account ..... I'll let the DJ sort it out.

🤓

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well either way they will have to come up with the copy agreement with that reference number and what it refers to.

Doubt you will get one.....with regards to the agreement they will just role out the same one you have already uploaded....its not very sharp but what I can see is that it was taken out 17th March 2005 ?   The amount of loan for consolidation purposes was £13K over 7 years and assume although you have blanked it out it contains your signature.

I cant read the default screen grab...but the statements show payments from 16/5/2008 to 16/10/2012 and 19/03/2018 to 11/09/2018.

Does any of the above ring a bell ...payments of £100 per month over 3 years ?

What they have sent is the application form for the original consolidation loan taken out in March 2005. It does have my signature.

After it was defaulted, I paid regular arranged instalments on that loan to the Halifax until I changed bank accounts and failed to set up a standing order with my new bank.

Although not particularly affordable, I probably would have paid Lowell’s if the assignment had been for the account number I recognised but I genuinely had no clue what the account number they had been assigned was so I ignored them.

As I also hadn’t had any statements for a couple of years I couldn’t say for sure that the amount assigned was right either.

So all the stuff provided relates to a loan I had with the Halifax, but none of it has the account number assigned to Lowell’s on it.

The default screen grab just says that a default notice was sent out in March 2008, quoting the account number that Is on the loan agreement.

The Halifax confirmed to Lowell that they don’t have a copy of the original in their records. ( this information came from the SAR I sent to Lowell and was also mentioned in the SAR from the Halifax.)

Should things go pear shaped for me, I’ve discovered through the SAR that a bunch of unlawful charges were added to the loan before it was defaulted so I’ll see if there’s anything I can do about those .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mystery solved!

The original loan was written off in November 2015, ( last arrears notice and statement dated around then all sent to my correct address) 

the Halifax then wrote to me at an old address in February 2016 (the one where I lived when the loan was taken out) and informed me that the debt was being transferred to Westcott because a suitable repayment plan hadn't been arranged..... this is despite my regular monthly payments to them...... shady tactics!....

In this letter (only seen because of SAR) it quoted another number as the account number..... this I have now discovered is my customer ID with the Halifax.

I never paid Wescot, who managed to write to me at my correct address too, because they used my 'customer ID as the account number, and I'd never received the letter from the Halifax

because I had continued to pay the Halifax by standing order for a debt they'd written off and the loan account no longer existed, they transferred the repayments to the account that they eventually sold to Lowell.

the upshot is, the loan account I originally had, according to the Halifax is fully paid.... in fact overpaid due to their less than transparent actions.

Apologies if I have confused everyone, but I know what I mean! 🤓

Spam.... with a headache...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The original loan was written off in November 2015

And you have that in writing ?  Very rare for a Original creditor to write off a defaulted debt......normally its set to zero balance when its been assigned to a DCA.....but that does not mean its been wrote off...the balance is set to zero and the amount transferred to the new legal owner.