Crown Motors Direct / Eden Motor Company - stupidly not done enough research before purchasing a vehicle from this garage.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1235 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone help me... I have stupidly not done enough research before purchasing a vehicle from this garage.

Bought in a rush before lockdown, on Sunday 1st nov due to being the only person in my auntie’s support bubble, she lives in Beckenham, me in Essex. 

Paid £5700 in full on my visa debit card in full, my entire savings.

having drove just over 100 miles, car stopped and didn’t start, placing me my mother and daughter in serious danger, thankfully passers by helped and my mother called rac, who towed car to my mother’s in Dartford, we have to get a taxi home, over £100.

I have been liaising with someone from motorcomplaints direct who has refused to collect the vehicle, and refuses to give me a refund unless I return the car which won’t move.

any advice on what I should do next?

i have incurred so many costs as a result.

thank you in advance

Hello and welcome to CAG. Yes, we can help you and I'm sorry you're having problems with these people.

The best thing first of all is to start a new thread of your own please as this one is for advising LaPaloma.

Also I have a question - who are motorcomplaints direct, are they anything to do with the garage?

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

i have created your own topic for you.

yes please tell us who motorcomplaints direct are please, i can find no ref to who or what they are.

it appears you are down the road a wee bit now and have already contact the garage etc etc

but to answer your question

no collecting the car is their problem

the car is faulty so depending exactly upon what the fault is

it might well render it not fit for purpose which entitles you to a full refund as its within 30 days of purchase re consumer rights act.

did you pay for the car before you went to get it

or whilst at the dealer.?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

Can you give us the website link or address for motorcomplaints direct?

This is a link to 'The Motor Ombudsman': https://www.themotorombudsman.org/

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thank you soooo much for replying...

www.motorcomplaint.com

i paid for the car at the garage with my visa debit whilst there.

the vehicle is at my disabled mother’s where the rac returned the vehicle, I had offered to have the car returned when it broke down, but they said no one would be there to receive the car, this was the following day.

hope that helps and thank you so much for any help advice you can provide.

attached is a screenshot of what was offered as resolve, I refused and they said they can’t help anymore, and have ignored me since.

F6FF22A1-B394-4C87-A43F-C7DF22E07704.png

all the same scamming group of people.

run by the same lot as crown/emc etc etc etc .

bankfodder will pick this up tomorrow.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you.. I have no idea how to use this website, can’t thank you enough for your help, I’m in a pretty dire situation.

I bought the car with the understanding the vehicle had a full year’s motor, had been as inspected, and had full service history.  The salesperson explained he could not find the paperwork or the 2 key for the car it was drawing close to 5pm on a Sunday and as there was a logbook and key, it was agreed I would return to have a back light replaced that had a small crack which had been ordered in.. where I desperately needed a car, and the whole set up appeared genuine.. I didn’t even question it all.

117 miles the car stopped and won’t start again, the rac couldn’t get it started so towed it to my mums, so is parked in a residential street, the fault report suggests something is wrong with the gearbox however the mechanic suspected starter motor could be stopping the vehicle from starting.. 

Thank you 

While you're waiting for @BankFodder, here's an article that was in the Mail about Crown Motor Direct and the other companies. If there's a problem they refer people to motorcomplaint.com and make it look independent, but it's another company set up by the same guys when they were removed from the Motor Ombudsman scheme.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8778829/Downfall-car-dealer-sold-death-traps-Chancer-forged-court-papers-refused-pay-refunds.html

BankFodder will know what to do. :)

HB

• Like 1

As you probably realise you need to get out of this contract as soon as possible.

I'm afraid that you are dealing with a group of fairly well-organised scammers who have even gone as far as submitting false documents to the county courts and even to firms of solicitors.

Have you read the daily mail article?

Spend some time today getting copies of this daily mail article and also any other information you can find on this forum of people who have also fallen for this gang.

On Monday begin the chargeback process. Make sure that your bank knows about the daily mail article and the fraudulent activity and tell them that you find that you have managed to be conned by the same group of people.

Keep us closely informed as to what happens.

Also, please will you post up good photographs of this car – front, back, sides – with the registration number clearly visible. We would like to see these photographs because it may be that somebody else who has already bought this car and returned it will be able to tell us more about it and that may help you.
Also, providing images of this vehicle and details of its registration may help to protect others in the future.

I understand that you drove 100 miles from the dealer before your car broke down. This means that you live a substantial distance from them. Can you tell me how many miles away you are from them.

I don't know how or why it happens, but a feature of many of the victims of this company who we have come across seem to have been prepared to travel long distances to pick up a car from them and I'm always surprised why people managed to locate a car across the other side of the country and imagine that it must be the only suitable car in the world and never factor in the cost of getting there, the cost of getting back. The cost of having to deal with any defects which might emerge – even if the car is basically sound. Imagine if you had a problem with seat belts or some minor engine malfunction and your only way to deal with it was to have to drive back to the dealer and maybe leave it there for a day or two while it was repaired.
Even with a genuine decent dealer these defects can happen and even if the dealer sets about the repairs promptly, it can still mean that you don't have the car for a couple of days. We have had somebody who drove 500 miles to pick up a car from this gang.

Surely there must be second-hand cars or a similar quality and similar price within a 50 mile radius – or even a 25 mile radius.

Obviously the retailer is responsible for the costs of returning the car to them – but this may be difficult to assert, in view of their track record so far.

I can tell you that a number of people have managed to get judgements against them but then enforcing the judgement is extremely difficult and eventually into three cases, the dealers have paid out a portion of the money spent – on condition that the agreement is not disclosed to anybody. We consider that these agreements are not binding in law.

However the main message here is that even people who manage to get some kind of remedy, are still losing out and may only get half of their money back.

Report this company to the Citizens Advice – although it won't be the first time that they've heard of them.
Also report this company to the police and get a crime reference number. Provide the police with all of the details that you can obtain – including the daily mail article.

What is very disappointing is that although there was a clear article in the daily mail which found evidence of the fraudulent dealings by this company, as far as we know no action has been taken and in fact we have evidence that some of the vehicles which have been returned to them have immediately gone back on sale.

You may be interested to know that the people involved this company follow this forum and they will be aware of this thread.

Don't let it worry you. As long as everybody is honest and straight dealing then we have nothing to hide.

Incidentally, to follow up – I see that you say that you have been liaising with – Motorcomplaints Direct

As far as we know this is basically a website/phantom organisation which has been set up by the same people in order to give the impression of an impartial arbiter over disputes about vehicles which have been bought from EMD.

This shows the extent to which these people are prepared to go.

Don't bother to deal with them. Don't get excited about it. On the other hand, if you have any correspondence which has been received from Motor Complaints, maybe you can post up here.

• Like 1

Here are the details of a merc which was returned to them

NM56 HTJ. MERCEDES BENZ E280CDI. I confirm vehicle NM56 HTJ has been collected and loaded to transportation from the following address, with the bodywork being in sound condition.

And here is its story:-

I'm trying to get photos

Oh, I thought that maybe it was the replacement which had been offered

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear you've fallen victim to these fraudsters.

You need to report the garage you purchased from to the police, this will get you a crime number. But as it is a civil matter they can't enforce anything upon them. Talk to citizens advice, and they'll advise you the best options. This is all to get a logged timeline. You are still within the 30 days under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, and are entitled to a FULL refund. This is something that can not be argued.

Citizens advice will tell you to submit a formal letter of complaint to the garage and their head office, which is as I understand, still Crown Motor Direct Limited.

If there's still no resolve, it'll go to small claims. Now this is where it can get messy. CMD LTD, or a company associated with them, will submit false and fraudulent documentation to the courts in your name. They did it to me, and to others.

Because of this forum, in my case, I emailed the court with a screenshot image from someone who had had their case dropped, and requested mine to be PASSWORD PROTECTED, so that the courts would deal with me and me only!!

CMD Ltd and their associated businesses, attempted to pervert the course of justice on 3 occasions in my case. Including:

* Submission of Notice of Discontinuance to the court with my name on it.

* Submission of fabricated email agreement to the court as "proof" of contact, which it was not.

* Submission of a typed letter to court, stating there was no reason for a hearing, as this claim had been settled, which it had not.

• Thanks 1

Also, I forgot to advise the absolute obvious – and that is that because you are within 30 days of the purchase, you should write to the dealer immediately – recorded delivery – and formally reject the vehicle and insist on a refund under the consumer rights act.

Do this straightaway – by recorded delivery.

I'm afraid that with the track record of this company, don't expect any joy – but you may as well assert your right and certainly when making the chargeback, your bank will want to know that you have done this. You should be able to show them a copy of the letter.

I should have advised this to you at the outset that I'm afraid it passed me by

1 hour ago, BankFodder said:

Oh, I thought that maybe it was the replacement which had been offered

Thank you so much I will give the police a call now, to get a crime reference number.

I live in Essex, 72 miles from the garage.

DB530B99-38EE-41E2-9B71-8BFF1C043B2E.png

When you tell the police, you will have to insist that they take notice. They will try to say that it is a civil matter and you should bring their attention to the attempted dishonest misleading of two county courts and also High Court enforcement officers.

Thanks for the photo of the Merc. Clearly this doesn't seem to be one that we are aware of. If you have got any other photos then please put them up.

As I said, you must write the dealer and a letter rejecting the car as you are entitled to do within the first 30 days under the consumer rights act. Get this letter off now. It may not make any difference to the end because these people seem to be very slippery – and in fact when other people have tried to get their money back or have tried to enforce judgements against them, they always respond that they have no assets and that any money is held by 1/3 party.

Of course it's all a scam. It's disgusting that they are being permitted to carry on despite the publicity and despite the numerous reports that have been made to Citizens Advice and to the police.

You may have to begin a legal action against them and normally speaking you would have to give 14 days notice under the pre-action protocol. However, in this case I think that given all of their history, if you don't get a very rapid response from them then you would be justified, I think, in at least shortening the pre-action protocol to 7 days.

One thing you're going to have to be very wary of is that if you return the vehicle, they may then promise to pay you – and we don't know if the money will be forthcoming. This is a very difficult problem when trying to return vehicles to untrustworthy dealers.

I certainly recommend a future that when you buy vehicles of this kind of value – in other words a cheap second hand car – that you buy much closer to home and that you do lots of research first. I suppose you know that now anyway.

Please keep us informed. There are other victims of this company who are following this thread with interest. So far as I can make out, everyone who has had dealings with this gang have ended up out of pocket.

• Like 1

Mind you, I've suddenly had a thought – I suppose there's no actual evidence of any crime having been committed as yet.

Probably a bit silly of me to suggest the police at this stage.

I'm afraid that if the police knock you back then you will probably have to accept it.

A great big thank you to everyone on this thread for your prompt advice regarding this horrible situation, I can't believe I have fallen victim to this, when there is so much information on the web about these crooks, I can't help feeling like a total idiot, the urgency of having a car so that I could care for my auntie during lockdown, led to me bypassing all steps to protect myself, I can't believe that companies like this are allow to continue trading... A big lesson learned for me, not only am I hell bent on getting my hard earned money back, if I can help anyone else falling into the same trap, then I will do what I can.

What is humbling, is finding this amazing help and support... When I literally did not know where to turn.  I cannot thank all who have contributed to this thread enough.. The history provided by you all and the communication I have over the last week, I feel should be more than adequate to bring forward the 14 days to 7, as this is obviously a fraud vs genuine sale of a vehicle.

I have just asked my mum to go outside and take pictures of the car and will post them up when received.

Again, thank you, and I will keep you updated. 

Edited by Merc2020
  • Like 3

That's the spirit: don't get mad, get even. :)

You aren't an idiot, look how many people have already posted about this firm and one of them has come back to help you on your thread.

Take it a step at a time, we're here for you.

HB

• Like 1

Each and every one of us have felt the 'idiot' marker for falling for these crooks. 

They shouldn't be allowed to trade as they've broken every rule going. 

You're still within your 30 days for consumer rights, so 7 days formal notice is deemed adequate. 

When writing your letter to Cmd Ltd, mention the Daily Mail article. The journalists there went above and beyond. I suggest that you should also consider sending an email to the daily mail, on the back foot of the article, as another victim. (apologies if that sounds harsh) 

The hope is that by mention of your intended refund pursuit, and intended legal action, along with the journalism threat, may pursuade them to reconsider. (slim, but worth a shot) 

• Like 1

The journalists who researched the Daily Mail article have been informed.

• Like 2

Good evening all... and thank you for the tip RudeDog13, I am just about to write an email to the directors of both company's directly connected, CMD Ltd & Automotive Vehicle Brokers Limited, so will use my new understanding of what and whom I am dealing with in a last bid attempt to persuade the garage to be honourable, for a change.

You were right about the police, I spent some time on the phone explaining the situation, as predicted at this point in time they did not feel that it was something that the police would get involved in as it was a civil matter, however the policeman looked up the garage and I explained about the daily mail article, and the consumer group, he assured me he would attempt to submit the info as intelligence for now.

A matter that even he couldn't help me with was, who is responsible for taxing and insuring the vehicle.  At present it is where the RAC left it on a residential street, I had tax and insured the vehicle on the day I purchased the car, and have continue to do so.  However this feels unfair.  The policeman advised to contact the DVLA in the morning and see what they say.

I need to insure another car as I desperately need to get to my aunties this week, I can't sustain the costs otherwise.  If the vehicle was towed away due to not being taxed or insurance who would be responsible for the penalties?

Reported on actionfraud.police.uk and have a crime number, I have also spent the time getting all the documentation in order, so I can speak to my bank to trigger the chargeback process if my final request for a refund falls on deaf ears.

Glad the daily mail have been made aware, I am more than happy send them the details if it helps.

One of this interesting things I found today was that there are many companies registered at the same address 47 - 49 Park Royal Road, many were dissolved, many active... not sure if this is some kind of industrial estate, so multiple co's could trade from the same address, or whether linked companies... I will investigate further when time permits.

Will keep you all posted with the developments and thanks again, I feel much better for having a clear understanding of the situation I am in, your help and advice is very much appreciated.

• Like 1

have you the v5c? 

and they