Will he get jailed? Will I have to go to court?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1263 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here's a question...

I was driving my car with my 2 young children in the back (my right of way) when I was hit by a boy who came speeding out of a side road, was over the drink drive limit, driving unaccompanied on a provisional license and currently on bail for a previous serious offence (unrelated to driving).

My car was a complete write off. 

What sort of penalty will he face do you think?

Will I be told of the outcome?

Plus, will I have to go to court?

i doubt you will ever have to goto court, as the charges will be bought by the authorities not you.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

it would be made  public knowledge anyway

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

they usually just get a fine, ban and slap on wrist never jail for drink driving or even crash drink driving only if you kill someone 

ive known many people where they been banned loads of times and still drive and never got sent down even when they do a police chase

Sentencing for drink-driving rests primarily on the level of alcohol measured. There is no reason for you to go to court - you cannot provide any evidence to support the fact that the driver was over the limit. It is unlikely you will be informed of the outcome. The only way to be sure of finding out is to find out what Magistrates' Court the case will be heard in and attend to watch the case in the public gallery. You don't mention the age of the offender but if he is under 18 it will heard in a closed court and members of the public cannot attend. 

...they usually just get a fine, ban and slap on wrist never jail for drink driving

That's not quite correct. The maximum sentence for driving with excess alcohol is six months custody. As above, the sentence depends heavily on the level of alcohol recorded. The "custody threshold" is crossed at just under 3.5 times the legal limit. I have seen plenty of drivers jailed for high readings of excess alcohol even when there were no aggravating features. The Magistrates' Court sentencing guidelines for driving with excess alcohol are here:

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/magistrates-court/item/excess-alcohol-driveattempt-to-drive-revised-2017/

• Like 1

well i had a mate few year ago he was 4x times over limit when he crashed into a lamp post and he just got fined and ban for 2years

also i think it depends on judge

well now with this covid they will want to avoid sending people prison unless its a serious one

Edited by ukshane4life

well i wouldnt think about it because you wont know if he has been sent down and i doubt he be sent down 

i use to know a mate years ago who robbed cars and got caught loads and never got sent down even smacked a police officer and rammed a cop car and he was 25

well i had a mate few year ago he was 4x times over limit when he crashed into a lamp post and he just got fined and ban for 2years

There not too much value in us swapping anecdotes, but do you think he was telling you the truth? As you can see, leaving aside fines/community orders or prison, an offence of four times the limit attracts a ban of at least 30 months. The option of a fine (and coincidentally a ban of 2 years) covers offences up to about 2.5 times the legal limit. Did your mate tell you what he had to do to get his licence back? They might help determine what level he blew.

well now with this covid they will want to avoid sending people prison unless its a serious one

Judges and Magistrates have received no guidance to avoid sending people to prison because of Covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Man in the middleYes I have come across cases recently, where people have been sent to Prison for a few weeks.  

Expensive punishment method, but perhaps it was seen as appropriate and may lead to a change in behaviour. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread