another dodgy used car!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6180 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have put long post on another forum (which i think was the wrong one for this subject! Blond and new to site!!)

To cut long story short - my son bought a Renault Clio Diesel from a trader about 3 months ago for £4000, car is about 4 years old, and he bought it on finance. Last night the cam belt snapped and he is looking at £1500 to £2000 repair bill. Does he have any legal rights either from (A) the garage or (B) the finance company, or is it just bad luck and down to wear and tear.

Any thoughts, advice or tips on what to do next would really be appreciated. Thanks

:oops:

Chris

It's ok, I posted a reply on the other forum first!

Have a look there - I was basically asking what type of credit agreement he had, as this will make a difference regarding who to pursue.

Will get back to you as soon as I can once I know that :)

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

• 5 months later...

The normal serviceable life for a cambelt can be anything from from 50,000 to 60,000 miles, depending on the car.

You would need to check the service schedule to see when it would need changing. If it has gone before the mileage you may be able to claim on the vehicle warranty (if it's still valid). Failing that if the timing belt has snapped and it has been changed inline with the service schedule you should take this up with the retailer.

If you find out that the timing belt has gone and it hasn't been changed and is not listed in the service history as being changed you would not be able to claim from the retailer.

We just bought a TD mondeo and the first thing I had changed was the cambelt - it is not work the risk against the cost of a belt change and a new engine. I work for a commerical dealer where 95% of the vans we see are diesels and we get the customer to sign a disclaimer if they do not want the cambelt changed when it is due. Speak to Renault and find out what the recommended interval is for changing the belt, then check the service history. If it was done less than 2 years ago, and by a main dealer, you may be able to claim parts warranty.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

On a side note, £1500 to £2000 to repair seems excessive.

Shop around if you dont get anywhere.

If you cant reduce this figure, I would reccommend purchasing a used low mileage engine from a reputable salvage dealer (yes they do exist!) estimate circa £500, and allow another £200 - £300 for fitting, depending on who you get to do it.

Good luck with the claim against the dealer, although I don't know how you'll get on.

If you go down this route, worth asking the salvage dealer if they can provide a fitting service.