BT want £350 to close contract early **RESOLVED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all hoping someone can advise please...

My friend separated from his wife in January I moved into his own flat in May.  He set himself  up but has quickly realised that he cannot afford to live in a flat on his own at this time due to debt from his marriage, child maintenance payments and credit card payments.

He ended his tenancy last month and he is due to move out the flat on 20th of November. He will move in with me for a short time until he can get back on his feet. He has mental health issues including anxiety and depression and has been on medication for this for 18 months and had intensive CBT for his issues.

he rang BT to end his contract. The estate agents he rents with have said that the contract with BT needs to be closed before they will allow his tenancy to end. If he doesn’t close it they will withhold his deposit and bond. BT have said they want £350 to end his contract early. I am already with BT and have been for over two years. They told him that the only way they would let him end his contract early is if the new place he is living will take over his contract. But I’m already with them so I can’t.  

any help would be appreciated.  

sorry but thats utter bunkum.

an estate agent cannot withhold any deposit because of a non closed telecom contract

that's stictly an issue between BT and their client.

as for them wanting to jump it to wherever they are moving to to avoid this mythical £350 cancellation charge is rubbish too.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The estate agents he rents with have said that the contract with BT needs to be closed before they will allow his tenancy to end. If he doesn’t close it they will withhold his deposit and bond. 

How does the EA know the tenants personal business ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

He will have told them.  

One of the side affects of his anxiety - he tells everyone everything.

I’ve taken over dealing with it with BT now.  

Hopefully they will waive it given his vulnerability  

He said:

Not estate agent it’s the letting agent.

I have to terminate the line before the 20th.

She’s given me an extra month to do it.

Then he said that BT will not terminate the line until the remainder of the contract is paid - circa £350 

Well BT will always state that irrespective to anyone......but it has no concern with the Letting Agent.....any debt is and remains with the person....not the property.

Give BT notice now in writing that you wish to terminate the agreement and provide a forwarding new address.

https://www.cancelcontract.uk/termination-letter/BT

Inform the Letting agent that this has now been done and you request return of his deposit and bond pursuant to 

Deposit Protection Service (DPS)

Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS)

mydeposits

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/tenancy_deposits/how_to_get_your_tenancy_deposit_back

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

• dx100uk changed the title to BT want £350 to close contract early **RESOLVED**

Get that in writing from BT as conformation and retain for future.....because normally they sell it off to a DCA who then may issue a Court claim.

As for deleting topics....why on earth would we do that...what about the next poster that comes along with the same problem and wishes to research same ? Kinda defeats the whole object of this forum being here.

Well done on resolving the BT point.....update when you have put the Letting Agent in their place.

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks. Just thought it was a bit of a none event after all that lol.  But yes if it helps someone else then that’s great. 

BT have sent me confirmation via message with a reference number so I think I have everything I need.  Thanks again. 

Excellent...guard that with your life.