Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Good luck and please keep us updated. I'm sure that your experience will be very helpful to other people who have similar problems and find this thread
    • Bankfodder, I don't understand why you think that I am trying to cheat them. It is in the best interest of the landlord to have a tenant occupying the property rather than having it vacant. But having it vacant is better than having a 'bad' tenant - there are plenty of horror stories. As a landlord, you don't have a lot to rely on before you let some occupy the property so how the tenant behaves leading up to signing the agreement is important.    I have had other issues with the agent which I didn't want to elaborate here that led me to terminate the contract as soon as I rejected this tenant. But ultimately the law is law and if my interpretation regarding the 2013 Regulation is correct, this should be straightforward and we don't even need to rely on the other clauses. I'll see how it goes.
    • Just because criteria won't agreed in writing, doesn't mean that there are criteria and they are not to be implied into the contract. As I've said, you have to give your contracting partner reasonable opportunity to complete their side of the bargain. If you employ a builder to build a wall and they start work, then you have to give them a reasonable opportunity to complete. Here you have an agent who apparently has found a tenant and the tenant has satisfied the reference requirements. You keep on saying that they were transparent – but you haven't told us what that means and the most important thing is that you might have to explain that to a judge. I'm afraid so far the impression one gets is that you are simply trying to escape a commitment – even if it is for the best of reasons. I see that you disagree with me. Well that's fine. It's not me that decides the outcome. I think that you are in difficult terrain in respect of your first grounds of objecting. I think that the unfair terms provisions are far more useful to you and are likely to have some success. Once again, your only answer to this is that a tenancy contract haven't actually been signed. Once again I say to you that all of the practical conditions for the contract to go ahead had been satisfied but on your hunch you then prevented the agent from completing their side of the bargain. I think that you are going to have to find a reasonable settlement. I don't think it will be very much – but you are certainly going to have to find a reasonable settlement – and if the agent objected, as well they might, at least you can then demonstrate to a court that you at least have attempted to act fairly and it is simply the agent who is being unfair. I don't think it would be too good for you if a judge came to the conclusion that the agent was trying to cheat you – but you also were trying to cheat them, for whatever reason. I don't thing I can say anything more  
    • Well I think it would be prudent to check them. I found several warranty details for your make of laptop but not UK. Surprisingly, they only say that they will repair defective parts and there is nothing as to what happens if the unit is not repairable. I suppose that being Acer, they have access to all the parts needed – in principle – and they reckon they can repair anything. Double check and see if you can get access to the warranty. Also, you need to decide whether you are prepared to issue a small claim. If you never done it before then read around this forum about how to take a small claim in the County Court. It's quite straightforward but you need to know the steps in advance. Once again, don't expect this to be sorted out by 18 December. I expect that you won't even have it sorted out by February – unless they suddenly react once they receive the court papers and move themselves. Of course you could say that by February the thing will be repaired anyway – but actually you don't know that. It could go on very much longer and at the moment I think you are being led around by the nose
    • As far as I remember and by looking at the receipt, it was already included in the price of the laptop.    Regarding the terms and conditions, I have no idea where to look for them. I might ask my mum to see if there is a mini book that came with the laptop and might contain the terms and conditions
  • Our picks

Help to buy companies and windows

Recommended Posts

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm asking this in the correct forum.


Ill try to be brief


- last October I contacted a h2b company that said I was eligible for up to £200 off every window and door.

I agreed to a company to come and quote.


The quote was given, the windows and doors installed.

The initial installation was incomplete however the people installing said for them to be paid for their part I needed to sign both a form that said what was left and that they had done their part. This form was actually an agreement to release the funds from the finance company. I disputed this.


Fensa came to inspect my property finding multiple errors (improper sealing) in addition to those I found (chipped and damaged beading, poor finish and damage to an internal door and blind). The company returned to fix the issues Fensa identified. 


I compiled a very hefty report and sent to the window company complaints team with pictures showing the faults. They did apologise and have attempted to remedy some of the issue.


I asked for a price breakdown in December to check exactly what each item cost. This was done as I had agreed to have sills in addition to the windows and i received capping boards instead (i didnt need capping boards).


The price breakdown shows no indication of any saving made as promised by the h2b company. When i highlighted this to the window company they said what they had provided was all they were giving me. I complained again and was given an explanation stating that they gave me a different saving that was larger than would have been offered by the h2b company in the first place. This was not indicated to me at point of sale.


Being that it has been a year I am wondering if I should contact the financial ombudsman about this. I feel as though I have been miss old this product and the company has been dishonest and unhelpful.


Any advice would be great.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to understand the whole story.


However it would help if you would identify the companies you have been dealing with

Link to post
Share on other sites

Safestyle windows is the company that sold the windows. I received finance through Hitachi finance company. 

I'm happy to answer any other questions

Link to post
Share on other sites
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the Help to Buy company Hitachi? Or someone else?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, who recommended Safestyle?

Link to post
Share on other sites

No the Help to Buy company was only called Help to Buy. I have kept the email thread from them indicating that they would be sending a representative to measure up and give quote. It was the Help to Buy company that sent Safestyle. Hitachi finance was just the finance company and they have done all they can with regard to my complaint.



Link to post
Share on other sites

OK.  I am trying to work out what the relationship is with Safestyle.  I am sure that it is pretty cosy.

I'm away at the moment and may not be able to deal with this closely until Tuesday.


I'm still trying to figure out the story 


I expect that it was missold - presumably you didn't obtain any quotes from anyone else and you weren't given the choice of installer.


Have you got a copy of the release agreement that you signed?


Is the work now satisfactorily completed?


I would suggest that you start doing some detailed research to see what you can turn up about any relationship between H2B and SS.  Maybe it is just a close working relationship - but it could be more than that.


Look around the internet and see if H2B always use SS.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Some very uncomfortable stories here and it looks as if when you go with H2B - they always send out safestyle.


There is even one suggestion that Safestyle may have been bought out by Help 2 Buy. (needs checking).


Sorry that it is all bad news.


I think that need to start off by seeing if the job has now been properly finished.


Other than that we will need to ascertain how much you should have saved and then see if you have a basis for a complaint.

It may well be that the FOS could be the way to go but it is likely to be complicated.

Don't hold your breath 



Link to post
Share on other sites

There are still issues ongoing with the quality of work with the installation. The capping board replaced in my bathroom has been set at such an angle that things put on it fall off. The installer said to just not put anything on it.


I will do a bit more digging about the h2b company to see if there is an address or anything that's connected with the company.


I understand that this will be long and drawn out but I'm not prepared to just let it go either. At best this company is dishonest at worst fraudulent. 


Thanks so much for your replies 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that we may as well start addressing the outstanding work quality problems.


Put together a snagging list - but be merciless.  Don't omit things which you consider are unreasonably minor.

Come back here when you have the list


Send H2B an SAR and send SS an SAR.  Get those sent now

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...