A few weeks ago my 59 plate Jetta was MOT'd and found to have rust/corrosion on the outside of the underfloor pan. The MOT chap said it was on the verge of being a MOT failure.

Apart from it's last service (because I have no faith whatsoever in my local dealership due to a mass of other unresolved problems), it has been dealership serviced.

Don't know what to do, or where to go for help and advice.

I think we need to know much more about the car. How old is it?how many miles does it have? how long have you had it? what is the name of the dealer that you bought it from?

if you can give us the answer to these questions then we can start giving you the advice that you need

Hi thanks for replying,

The car was registered in 2009 ½, as I said a 59 plate.

Mileage, when I got it it had circa 45K miles, it now has circa 72K miles.

I have had it for 3 years almost to the month.

I got it from a dealership in Loughborough, on the selling point that it was low mileage and was dealership serviced.

Shortly after my return home to Southampton, I took it into my local dealership for a once over, part of which entailed one of their mechanics sitting with me while I drove around locally. I wanted them to take over looking after the car for me.

Hope this helps?

thank you.

Under the Consumer Rights Act you are entitled to have a vehicle of satisfactory quality.

If a defect appears within the first 6 months of ownership which means that the car is not satisfactory then you are required to give the dealer a single opportunity to repair or else refund you.

So the question is what condition would a car of that make model, age and mileage and price be in.

I think the best way forward is to raise the issue with the dealer but also start to make your own researches as to whether the rust damage to this vehicle is beyond what would be expected of a vehicle of that character and in those circumstances.

When you have discovered. then come back here.

Additionally, you haven't told us the cost of the vehicle. that would be helpful to know because it will affect the quality of vehicle that you would reasonably expect.

Also I asked you the name of the dealer and you haven't told us. Are you trying to protect them?

• 2 weeks later...

problem is with second hand car and 2009 the dealer will say it is 11yrs old car and theres many cars that are known to rust badly like the old ford ka and getz subframe 

ford focus rs are known to rust on subframe in under 3yrs 

your best bet is get it traded in or sell private and buy something else because it will fail next mot if you be warned about it

also vw jetta with about 45k still worth around £2k depending on engine

Edited by ukshane4life

If this rust problem is a particular feature of this particular make and model of car at this age then it might well be possible to argue that it is of satisfactory quality.

On the other hand, if the dealer had pointed the rust out to a potential purchaser, with that purchaser have bought it? The answer is that they probably wouldn't. The answer could easily be that no reasonable consumer would have thought about buying it – and that would tend to suggest that it would not be of satisfactory quality in the eyes of the reasonable consumer

well vw rust claim is under warranty for 12yrs so he might after take it up with them but that depends in the main dealer says you not the 1st owner of the car 

we know what car traders are like avoid everyway as possible to pay or repair

Edited by ukshane4life