• Tweets

• Hi slick!    On 22 July they said they would refund me £74.07 Theres no DD in place as my membership was a once off payment in November last year.  Hi Dx,    I paid through PayPal last year as a one off payment. 
    • I'm trying to understand it all but I certainly tend to agree with my colleague @dx100uk that it looks as if you may have been taken for a ride. You found an advertisement for a bag on an online sales site. Instead of going through the established procedure of that site, which presumably allows them to recover a commission from the seller you started dealing directly with the seller who is an unknown person to you and of course that allowed the seller to avoid paying the commission. At whose suggestion was it that you went off-site? You then pay by PayPal but instead of logging it with PayPal as a payment for a purchased item, you tell PayPal that it was actually simply a gift or transaction between friends and family. This also allowed the seller to avoid paying a PayPal fee on the money. At whose suggestion was it that you paid in this way?       I don't say that you definitely have been scammed, but it doesn't look very good. This is how it might have happened: after you agreed to take the transaction off-site, so you lost the protection of the established system – and the seller avoided the commission and also avoided the sales site knowing that they had sold their item, you then agreed to pay the seller some money – but not for a purchase – simply as a gift. This has two consequences. Firstly, the seller avoids a PayPal fee and secondly, because PayPal has been misled as to the purpose of the payment, you lose the protection of PayPal if it turns out that you've been scammed or there is some other problem with the transaction. The seller then apparently sent you the parcel and they sent you pictures of a package with your address on it. Separately they sent you a Hermes tracking number – but there is no evidence that the package was actually posted to your address. The seller might simply have taken a picture with your address and sent that to you by way of reassurance – and then changed the label and posted the parcel to themselves but sent you a tracking number which is inaccessible to you and in respect of which you will be prevented from getting any information. All you've seen is a parcel with your address on it. All you've been given is a tracking number which satisfied you for a while until the parcel did not arrive and then when you started to make enquiries, you found that you were unable to access any details referring to the tracking number. Of course the tracking number says that the item was delivered – because maybe it was – but in that case it was delivered to the address on the parcel which might have been the seller's own address – or the address of a friend. I don't want to say that this is definitely how it happened, but it is a plausible scenario. Of course Hermes is an awful lot of parcels – but on the other hand I expect that most of the parcel is that going to Hermes hands are delivered successfully. We only get the bad stories on this forum. I can imagine that Hermes rate of successful deliveries is better than 97% because otherwise people wouldn't simply just hate them, they would go out of business.   We can help you bring a complaint against Hermes if you want. However, on the basis of what you say, the odds are stacked against you but it would be useful to try and find out the address which was associated with tracking number. As far as your apparent willingness to travel hundred and 50 miles to ask for your money back, don't bother. If you did actually go there, are you sure that the seller actually lives at the address that you have been given? What evidence do you have that? Of course if you found that the seller didn't reside at that address then it is slamdunk that you have been scammed. But then what are you going to do? You can try to inform the police but of course it won't get you anywhere. You can inform the sales website – but they will say that you brought it on yourself because you agreed to go off-site. You can inform PayPal – that they will say that because you sent the money which was calculated to avoid their fees, you have lost the protection. If you travelled the 150 miles and found that the seller did reside at that address, do you really think that they are going to hand your money over to you? If they are acting dishonestly then they will simply say that it is nothing to do with them, that they addressed it all correctly and they don't understand what has happened and that this is simply Hermes up to their old tricks. What are you going to do? You simply risk getting into a very nasty argument and depending on how bad it went, you might even find that the police are called and I'm afraid that they would be looking at you – not the seller. Maybe you can answer the questions that I've post above as to who it is who initiated the various ways of doing business.    
    • The legal campaign's going well then. The recount in Wisconsin gave Trump more votes but Biden even more, at a cost of $3m. And a donor to the organisation bringing the failed cases is suing to get his $2.5m back.   https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/28/joe-biden-gains-votes-in-wisconsin-county-after-trump-ordered-recount
    • Yes Unicorn feed tax again, can't sue the keeper for more than the Original Charge, so any additional Debt Collection fees aka the £60 they add is abuse,iof process as per HHJ Harvey at Lewes county Court What lookedinfroinfo is indicating is that the main signage on entry and dotted around is merely an " Invitation to Treat", not the offer, the Offer and Acceptance occurs at the payment machine, so wording there is key.
  • Our picks

Hi, looking for some advice and reassurance.

Around 12-14 weeks ago I sent my laptop off via Hermes to be repaired,

a few days passed and the item hadn’t moved on the app.

After various phone calls I was told my laptop had been lost.

I paid the extra £15.80 insurance to cover this exact thing.

The insurance was up to £200 which was incidentally the price of the laptop.

After Hermes not being able to find the laptop I was told by a customer service agent that I should submit a claim form and I would get my money back.

Fast forward around 5/6 weeks and still nothing.

On a day off work I follow this up and by chance I get through to a manager,

after around 1 hour on the phone said manager tells me I will receive my monies within 24 hours and he will call back later for the BACS details,

he calls back and takes the details but one hour later, after being told on numerous occasions that I will get my money he tells me the head of the claims department has dismissed my claim as the laptop was “damaged beyond repair” after 1 hours travel and so it was disposed of.

I packaged this item extremely well.

I then ring trading standards who informed me I may struggle without proof of being told I would get my money back.

The next day I ring back and using the extension number the manager gave me I recorded the call and he confirmed he did tell me I would receive my monies.

I sent a letter of deadlock and received no response, after speaking to trading standards I issued a legal letter 2 days ago.

What chance do I stand?

thanks

Please will you monitor this thread for a reply tomorrow.

However you have posted a long story in a long block of text and that makes it very difficult for people to read and then to give you the advice that you need.

Please will you post your story but this time spaced and punctuated and people will be far more enthusiastic to follow you and to support you.

Thanks

post spaced for you

you mean you sent a 14 day letter before court Action?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks, yes I sent a 14 day letter of deadlock (told to by trading standards) and now a legal letter has been issued 

Please post up the letter which you sent.

Have you read through some of the Hermes threads on this forum.  Do You understand the basis of your arguments and do you understand that steps involved in taking the action?

It is good that you are moving quickly and good that you are recording calls but Trading Standards don't always give the best advice.

Lets's see the letter

2 mins

Hermes
Capitol House
1 Capitol Close
Moriey
LEEDS
LS270WH

Particulars 0f Claim xxxxxxx

27/10/2020
I sent a £200 extremely well packaged laptop with Hermes and took up the option of the extra cost to get the £200 compensation and insurance.

For the past 10 weeks i was told that my parcel had been lost but then 2 weeks ago I was told by a manager by the name of Junaid that my laptop had been disposed off without my prior knowledge, the parcel was disposed of as it was "damaged beyond repair" after 1 hours travel.

I was told by many customer service agents and a manager that I would receive a refund.

I have an audio recording of the manager assuring me I would get my money back and then he (Junaid) Informed me that the head of the claims department had changed his mind as the laptop was damaged through no fault of my own.

I am claiming for £220 plus £25 legal costs.

I also sent a letter of deadlock over 2 weeks ago and I did not receive a response despite the letter being signed for.

Details of claim 

amount - £220.00
court fee £25.00
total £245.00

Edited by Nassa10

so you HAVE issued a court claim through MCOL?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

date on the claimform please 

and type out your particulars of claim if this is not as above.

dx

and they

the particulars of your claim your entered into that section.

dx

and they

Please can you post the exact particulars of claim. A PDF copy would be preferred.

Also, please could you post a copy of the letter of claim which you sent. A PDF copy would be preferred.

What are the exact particulars? The letter I sent in the post I sent recorded delivery but I don’t have a copy, the legal letter is the letter above 

We are doing our best to help you with professional level of advice. you're getting it for free but that is no reason to treat it as simply a piece of social media exchange.

if you are very confident about what you are doing then you don't need our help. However, reading through this thread so far I have the impression that you aren't entirely certain of the steps. in order to give you the best help and to give you the best chance of success, we need to understand exactly what you have done so far.

have you registered on the money claim county court website? Did you issue a claim there? What date did you issue it? do you understand the rules about acknowledgement of service and then defence?

Also, you have referred several times to a deadlock letter. Please could you post that up in pdf format.

I have registered on the money claim website and I did issue a claim on there on 26/10. I sent this in the post but I don’t have a copy

Is the acknowledgment of service that they have 14 days?

I'm a bit puzzled that you didn't keep a copy of your claim form. it's very important that you keep a full set of documents – especially once you have entered the litigation process.

You say that you registered on the moneyclaim website but you then sent your claim form by post. You didn't issue the claim online.

that is very unusual. Why did you decide not to send it online? 

I think it's important that you get a copy of your claim form and I think you should phone the courts and explain to them that you didn't keep her copy and that you need one and can you have one by email.

Can we see a copy of the so-called deadlock letter please. I understand that you at least kept a copy of that.

also I suggest that you take a bit of time and start reading on this forum about the steps needed to take a small claim in the county court.

have you read through some of the hermès threads on this forum so that you understand the issues and the basis of your case and that you have started to formulate your arguments?

The legal letter was sent online and it is above 

I will repost below

Hermes
Capitol House
1 Capitol Close
Moriey
LEEDS
LS270WH

Particulars 0f Claim xxxxxxx

27/10/2020
I sent a £200 extremely well packaged laptop with Hermes and took up the option of the extra cost to get the £200 compensation and insurance.

For the past 10 weeks i was told that my parcel had been lost but then 2 weeks ago I was told by a manager by the name of Junaid that my laptop had been disposed off without my prior knowledge, the parcel was disposed of as it was "damaged beyond repair" after 1 hours travel.

I was told by many customer service agents and a manager that I would receive a refund.

I have an audio recording of the manager assuring me I would get my money back and then he (Junaid) Informed me that the head of the claims department had changed his mind as the laptop was damaged through no fault of my own.

I am claiming for £220 plus £25 legal costs.

I also sent a letter of deadlock over 2 weeks ago and I did not receive a response despite the letter being signed for.

Details of claim 

amount - £220.00
court fee £25.00
total £245.00

I have read through some of the Hermes threads

Thanks for the letter. But I see that once again it refers to a deadlock letter and you haven't posted that.

I'd be grateful if you could post that and also will you try to contact the court and get a copy of your claim form.

how long was the claim form question mark is there any chance that you could try to reproduce it here to the best of your memory

The claim form I used via Hermes to try and get a refund? 
the deadlock letter was not a legal letter, it was a letter of intention telling them I would send a legal letter, I sent this in the post and I don’t have a copy but it was very similar to the legal letter I sent (just longer)

Why don't you keep copies of this important correspondence that you send?

It was a mistake on my part 

But it was sent via recorded delivery and Hermes head office signed for the correspondence