• Tweets

• Just because criteria won't agreed in writing, doesn't mean that there are criteria and they are not to be implied into the contract. As I've said, you have to give your contracting partner reasonable opportunity to complete their side of the bargain. If you employ a builder to build a wall and they start work, then you have to give them a reasonable opportunity to complete. Here you have an agent who apparently has found a tenant and the tenant has satisfied the reference requirements. You keep on saying that they were transparent – but you haven't told us what that means and the most important thing is that you might have to explain that to a judge. I'm afraid so far the impression one gets is that you are simply trying to escape a commitment – even if it is for the best of reasons. I see that you disagree with me. Well that's fine. It's not me that decides the outcome. I think that you are in difficult terrain in respect of your first grounds of objecting. I think that the unfair terms provisions are far more useful to you and are likely to have some success. Once again, your only answer to this is that a tenancy contract haven't actually been signed. Once again I say to you that all of the practical conditions for the contract to go ahead had been satisfied but on your hunch you then prevented the agent from completing their side of the bargain. I think that you are going to have to find a reasonable settlement. I don't think it will be very much – but you are certainly going to have to find a reasonable settlement – and if the agent objected, as well they might, at least you can then demonstrate to a court that you at least have attempted to act fairly and it is simply the agent who is being unfair. I don't think it would be too good for you if a judge came to the conclusion that the agent was trying to cheat you – but you also were trying to cheat them, for whatever reason. I don't thing I can say anything more  
    • Well I think it would be prudent to check them. I found several warranty details for your make of laptop but not UK. Surprisingly, they only say that they will repair defective parts and there is nothing as to what happens if the unit is not repairable. I suppose that being Acer, they have access to all the parts needed – in principle – and they reckon they can repair anything. Double check and see if you can get access to the warranty. Also, you need to decide whether you are prepared to issue a small claim. If you never done it before then read around this forum about how to take a small claim in the County Court. It's quite straightforward but you need to know the steps in advance. Once again, don't expect this to be sorted out by 18 December. I expect that you won't even have it sorted out by February – unless they suddenly react once they receive the court papers and move themselves. Of course you could say that by February the thing will be repaired anyway – but actually you don't know that. It could go on very much longer and at the moment I think you are being led around by the nose
    • As far as I remember and by looking at the receipt, it was already included in the price of the laptop.    Regarding the terms and conditions, I have no idea where to look for them. I might ask my mum to see if there is a mini book that came with the laptop and might contain the terms and conditions
    • But there were exceptional circumstance involved, they must count for something 
    • £1300 is fine. Don't worry about it. Don't worry about the disclaimer. It has no effect. They are trying to introduce a new term into a contract which has already been made. It has no relevance. Even if a certain delay was acceptable, the fact that they have already had your computer for three months and they are now effectively suggesting a further two months that is five months which amounts to about 20% of your period of ownership – is not acceptable. What I'd like to know – and I think is quite important – is what they say in their warranty if the computer is beyond repair. I'm assuming that you are prepared to bring a small claim against them – and that is what we will propose that they fall back on that term – especially if the term proposes that they supply you with a replacement. This would then avoid the problem for you that you would have to accept only a proportion of the purchase price. If you're not prepared to sue them – then frankly there's nothing you can do. If you are prepared to issue a small claim then your chances of success are better than 90%. The risk you if you lose is that you lose your claim fee. If you win then you will recover all of your losses. If you want to start a small claim that we will help you all the way but it will assist enormously if you can find the terms and conditions of the warranty. Have a look at their website and you may find references to it there or at the Currys website. Did you pay for this warranty or was it simply included as part of the purchase price? If you paid, then who did you pay? Did you pay Acer or did you pay Currys?  
  • Our picks

Has anyone claimed compensation for time wasted on snagging list/faults?

Hi.

As you can probably presume by the time this has been posted, I am annoyed. Long story cut short is we bought a new build, got a professional snagging company to come in and make a list of things that needed doing and am now still in the process of liaising with painters / electricans, etc. There has been significant disruption with arranging to be in to help guide the various workmen, etc, let alone the complexities of Covid to deal with as well as having two small children. Tonight we were up until quite late having to prepare things for a painter to come tomorrow to fix all the awful painting and marks on walls / poor finishes, etc. This has (and has had over the last few weeks) had a knock on effect with being tired, work being affected, let alone sooooo much time wasted on discussing the various elements with the developer (who hasn't argued with any of the painting, poor electrics, etc that has to be done).

My question is has anyone ever claimed redress for all the wasted hours that have to be spent on doing things like this because a developer rushed to get a house ready on time?