Should I accept Barclays offer?

OLI1879
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My situation is as follows. I requested £3860( I didn't include any interest) from Barclays and they have offered me £1000 as a settlement. Now, I really don't want to go to court and would like the money sooner than later ,as I am looking to buy a new house, but I don't think I should accept £1000 as it is too small a proportion of the cost.

My question is, would it be a good idea to write back basically saying that I will settle for a smaller amount e.g £2000 rather than going to court? Would this have much chance of working?

Hi,

I am new to this site but I have been a member of Best credit cards, cheap mortgages, personal loans, savings accounts, house & car insurance - The Motley Fool UK for about 4 months. Every bit of information there says that you shouldn't settle and that if they have given you an offer it proves that they are in the wrong. I myself have had an overdraft of £1500 with Lloydstsb and have been charges £2798 in overdraft charges. So I personally will not stop until they give me back every penny of this and that includes if they make me an offer. Stick to your guns.

If you can possibly afford to hold out for the whole lot, then do so. It may take a while but you won't regret it.

I've just had my initial offer (about 50%) today as well - race ya to the full payout!

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 06/11/2006 - no statements yet

Prelim Letter sent 13/11/2006

"Sorry you're unhappy" received 16/11/2006

LBA sent 27/11/2006

Reply to LBA with 50% offer received 01/12/2006

"Thanks, but no Thanks" sent 01/12/2006

MOCL filed 11/12/06 - deemed served 17/12/06

MOCL acknowledged 29/12/06

Non compliance with S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter sent 04/01/07

Statements Received 08/01/07

MOCL Defended 12/01/07

AQ received 17/01/07

AQ done and delivered 19/01/07

Court date 22/05/2007

In general, writing to Barclays to get them to up their offer is a waste of time. You have to decide if you want to pour £2860 into Barclays toilet or stick it out for the whole amount. Of course, if you stay the distance, then you get to add 8% interest to your claim (on £3860 I am sure that it will add a few hundred too)

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06

ok, thank you all for your replies , you have convinced me to go for it. I will send my letter tonight!

One more thing though, should I add a day or two onto the 14 day deadline to allow for the post?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have just filed my claim to MCOL and just realised that I calculated the interest wrongly as I missed out fields on my spread sheet.

I have only claimed £680 interest when it is actually £948. What should I do??? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

I have just submitted my claim to MCOL for £4808 and I need to send them a copy of the charges.

Do I wait until the case is issued before I do this? how long does this normally take?

Also, I assume that the 14 days that the bank has to respond starts from the issue date?

Thanks

Hi Oli,

From reading other threads you do need to send 2 bundles off containing your copies of your charges including the 8% interest and a copy of the claim I think.

Check back on a few threads (especially Welshman) and you should get an exact answer. The addresses of where to send are also available in the info library.

Hope that helps until a pro comes along!!!

I think that means the issue date of the charge doesn't it?

If you are talking about the spreadsheet to calculate the charges (with interest) then that will be the date of issue of charge on account so that's fine.

Re. the 14 days. I think they get an extra couple of days for post time.

Hope I'm helping and not confusing you more!?!

no, sorry, its my fault, I havent explained myself very well.

The issue date that is in doubt is on the template for the cover letter to send with the list of charges to MoneyClaim.

I think it means the date that the claim is issued to Barclays. At the moment my claim status is at 'requested'.

Anyway , from reading some forums it seems that they are usually issued the next day so Ill just wait until tommorrow and then send the list of charges.

Thanks for your help

Now that you've filed with MCOL, all you need do now is to produce a schedule that includes the 8% interest and you should send one copy to MCOL by post and, at the top of that one, you must put your claim reference number which MCOL will have given you. Produce another and substitute the MCOL number with the reference number from the Banks’ letter to you.

The Addresses you need to send the copies of the schedule are:

For Barclays:

Barclays Legal and Compliance

Level 29

1 Churchill Place

London

E14 5HP

And for MCOL it’s

The Court Manager

Money Claim Online

Northampton County Court

21-27 St. Katharine's Street

Northampton

NN1 2LH

Include a covering letter in each referring to the schedule, and mention that you have sent the other party a copy of this schedule. I have sent every one of my letters by recorded delivery. Some people here say that that is not necessary but I did anyway. It’s up to you at the end of the day.

As for the timings, they are allowed 5 days delivery time (regardless of whether they were issued earlier). It's then 14 days to file an acknowledgement then, provided the do acknowledge, a further 14 days to defend. That's a total of 33 days from the date you filed.

To follow my case progress, click here to see where I'm at right now.

Welshman

• 3 weeks later...

I am slightly confused and would be grateful if someone could help.

A while ago I recieved a Notice of Issue from the court which says that Barclays have until the 9th of January to file a defence to my claim, but when I try and issue judgement on MCOL it says I cannot at this time(9th Jan 12:10am).

Does this mean that Barclays have acknowledged it or do they have until the end of the 9th (ie the 10th) to acknlowedge?

The 9th is the last day they can issue a defense.

Give it 24 hours ;)

I suspect that they have issued a defense but it wont show til you have tried to default them.

Thats what happened with me a week ago :(

Barclays :- Settled March 07:o

RBS:- Acct Discharged May 07 :o (chase for more and CRA deletion???):confused:

Barclaycard: - CCA recieved 24/1/07. WOW! :o (GITS!!!) :-|

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes, I have just read your threads. That is quite disheartening.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the courts to validate the judgement?

Just so I know when I can start getting my hopes up.

Marvelous, they have defended! I suppose I should get on with preparing my court pack then.:rolleyes:

No - wait for your AQ to come through from the court :)

Barclays :- Settled March 07:o

RBS:- Acct Discharged May 07 :o (chase for more and CRA deletion???):confused:

Barclaycard: - CCA recieved 24/1/07. WOW! :o (GITS!!!) :-|

It wont do any harm to start on your court bundle,although it may be a while before you need it:)It willl give you time to learn what it is all about,so you are confident when ,hopefully, you speak to them on the phone in a few weeks

:grin:amount WON so far £15,021.27(12 claims):D