egacy Leisure - i must give 28 Days Notice

SW02
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1218 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm sorry to add to the deluge of gym issue that are already here but I was hoping for some advice on my situation.

I have had my gym membership payments frozen over lockdown, and when they reopened again in July I opted to continue to freeze mine for a further three months.  I'm not sure about others but I just don't have trust in the general populous (or rather the people I've seen use that gym) to do their share to keep things clean and Covid free (despite an email today telling me that they give me 'the strongest assurance' that it is being well cleaned - frankly, there is no reassurance they could give me I don't want to catch this life changing / life threatening virus).

So, they've told me I have to give 28 days notice - something I find very disagreeable given the climate.  I've even asked if they could just freeze my account for a further six months or so - in the hopes I'll feel safer at the end of that time.  I don't particularly want to quit the gym, I just don't want to spend a monthly fee on something I'm not going to use.  They unfortunately will not freeze.

I've seen people mention on here to just cancel the direct debit and ignore their threats of court action and it being passed on to a collection agency, and that they are in turn powerless and I won't be taken to court ('gyms won't take you to court' I've seen posted on here but it's easy to say, a lot harder to take the plunge and keep fobbing them off in the hopes they'll eventually go away).

I just wondered where I stand and what you would recommend as the best course of action.  It's not a massive sum of money, but with my partner losing their gig over the lockdown, every penny counts at the moment.

I'm quite infuriated about their stance of wanting to charge me a months notice, when they could just freeze and keep my continued membership after that freeze period (which should be worth more money to them in the long run).  I've been a member with them for years so to be treated like this is even further annoying.

Thanks in advance for any help, and I hope you are all keeping self and well,

Sam

bottom line is do what you must.

there is no 'rule' in law which stipulates you MUST give them any notice at all.

it's just something that is mentioned in most gym T&C's (though some scam you with 3 mnts!!) and we ADVISE to OFFER by letter should people had accidently stopped a GYM DD already.

you are quite safe to totally ignore anyone that demands money should you do so.

gym debts do not show on credit files

as you say..gyms don't do court

any DCA is a useless and powerless firm that aren't bailiffs and can do stuff all on any debt be it a gym one or otherwise..

i know what i'd do....

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi SW02 and welcome to CAG

Please tell us what gym this involves.

The solution for you is simple - just cancel the DD mandate immediately via your bank, to avoid them taking a full or reduced fee.

Once you've done that, let us know and we'll suggest a brief letter to post to the gym (or Head Office) saying you've cancelled the DD due to their unwillingness to treat your concerns seriously or sympathetically.

They'll whinge  and whine and say you owe ever increasing amounts but they'll do nothing to cause you any serious issues.

We've been telling folk here the same thing for nearly 10 years, after The OFT took AMSL to the High Court.

Let us know when you've cancelled the mandate and we'll take it from there.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Good morning,

Thanks for the reply.  This gym involves Legacy Leisure, the gym I use is Rutland Sports Park, though my account is linked to Friesland Sports Centre as that’s where I initially signed up (they have 5 different sites all working as one in this area).  It was a council owned and run gym before they brought in this third party to do it for them (and reduced the quality, but that’s a story for another day).

As suggested I have cancelled the direct debit.  I received another email last night telling me that they would freeze my account for a further 6 months for an ‘admin fee’ of £5 per month.  I will be telling them that’s not good enough.

Apparently I owe them £25 for an admin error on their behalf from about a year or so ago (they mentioned this at the time but said they would look in to it, and never mentioned it again).  I’m happy to pay what I owe outside of this £26 28-days notice fee.

So: what should I do next?

Thanks again,

Sam

as you've no doubt read in other gym threads ( i hope??)  here any adim fee is a 'penalty' and is unlawful.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx,

Yeah I've seen that mentioned, though I'm surprised that if it's unlawful how they even have the gall to suggest it in the first place - there must be a loop hole they have handy.

Sam

cause just like people and bank charges and credit card late/over fees or arrears fees on insurance finance or mortgages, MUGS blindly pay them....

• Like 1

and they

I suggest you just wait now, until the gym or admin Co. write to you saying the DD has been cancelled and needs to be reinstated, threats of admin fees, etc.

Keep us posted ..............

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 5 weeks later...

Just to give you an update: I've heard nothing.

The 28 days notice they wanted me to pay for has coincided with the national lockdown where gyms were forced to close so I'm hoping they're going to let it lie.  Of course that might change when more people go back to on December 2nd.

When I hear anything I'll come back to report.

nothing they can do anyway so..

dx

and they

• dx100uk changed the title to egacy Leisure - i must give 28 Days Notice