Jeep - Rejecting a vehicle

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1271 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

SOGA is also dependent on the selling dealers attitude, so don't put too much reliance on that.

There is a lot of legislative writing but no one wants to back you up aftewards.

There are things so clear as 1+1=2 that can't be taken any other way, but when it gets to court the judge say 'ah yes, but.....' and being not in the real world ignores the legislation and goes the other way.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SOGA is also dependent on the selling dealers attitude, so don't put too much reliance on that.

There is a lot of legislative writing but no one wants to back you up aftewards.

There are things so clear as 1+1=2 that can't be taken any other way, but when it gets to court the judge say 'ah yes, but.....' and being not in the real world ignores the legislation and goes the other way.

The dealer who sold us the vehicle has been brilliant so no issues on that side as they are paying for faults to be rectified. Wish we had more dealers like them. Pity I cannot name them on the forum as they deserve an accolade! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Previously we had a 1996 Toyota HiLux Surf 3.0 and never had any issues with it. We sold it to buy at 55 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD with 61,000 miles on it and sued HP. Since collecting the vehicle, the kick down failed, dealer had it a week and it was repaired. Next the heating in the vehicle broke and needed repair. Only the authorised Jeep dealer could handle the repair.

Today the brakes were binding and could not move the vehicle at all. After rocking it back and forth managed to free it and reverse, but then the brakes would lock on after about 20 meters when it went forwards or backwards. Brake releases and then applies itself without any help from any one.

Called breakdown and it was found that when the vehicle was moving forward the rear offside brake activated itself and stopped the vehicle. On jacking it up, the nearside wheel could turn freely, but not the offside rear wheel.

I have never heard of a vehicle applying a brake itself and could be very dangerous if one was driving. The vehicle is on HP and if we traded it in we would probably lose quite a bit of money.

We are seriously thinking of rejecting the vehicle as we have only had it 5 weeks and done less than 1500 miles. The dealer has been very helpful and paid for sorting out the vehicle but how many more times is it going to break down? Do we stand any chance of rejecting it?

As it's on HP you can cancel at any time and hand the car back - but you'd have to pay half the cost of the agreement.You should talk to the finance company about rejecting the car because of its quality. The applicable legislation is the Supply of Goods (Implied Terms) Act and it gives similar remedies to the Sale of Goods Act 1979. My feeling is that they they will seek any remedy other than rejection - repair etc, but you need to start a dialogue with them. If you are seeking rejection then you will have to stop using the vehicle.

• 3 months later...

On 26th Sept 2012 we purchased a used '55 reg Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L.

We have done approximately 3000 miles since purchase with no off roading.

For awhile we have noticed a thumping noise coming from the front, but thought it was part of the make up of the car.

About two weeks ago we took to our local service centre who did a service and a check.

On the test drive the mechanic noticed the thumping and advised us that the anti roll bushes may be worn.

He advised us to take it to a Jeep dealer which we did this morning.

Jeep dealer has checked and advised that the off side shock absorber is leaking and that it is better to replace them in pairs.

This will cost just over £450 for both.

I have checked the MOT history and notice that the vehicle failed the MOT in Nov 2010 for "Nearside Front Shock absorber has a serious fluid leak".

This was obviously repaired as it passed the MOT the next day.

Seems a bit odd to replace a shock absorber which is less than 2 years old.

Is the dealer that sold us the vehicle obliged to repair the problem or offer a contribution towards the repair under Sale of Goods Act as we have not yet had the vehicle six months.?

Unfortunately £450 is a lot of money for us at this time, but we need the vehicle.

Google search for the shock absorbers you require. They cost around £75 pounds each. The price you have been quoted is WAY over the top.

as above, or go to: - 247spares.co.uk Car Parts google it and fill in details you will receive quotes and delivery info so shop around the site?

• Haha 1
:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

You are not necessairly replacing a shock that is 2 years old. The 2010 MOT highlighted the N/S shock, I bet they only changed one, now the O/S has gone too. Chances are the O/S is still the original therefore it is 7 or 8 years old.

You are not necessarily replacing a shock that is 2 years old. The 2010 MOT highlighted the N/S shock, I bet they only changed one, now the O/S has gone too. Chances are the O/S is still the original therefore it is 7 or 8 years old.

Correct so under SOGA the vehicle was sold with an inherent fault, i.e. the leaking offside shock absorbers. I am looking at the dealer for paying half the costs as I am replacing both and hopefully SOGA is on my side.

• 2 years later...

About 2 year ago I replaced the front brake pads along with the drums on my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The brake pads were EBC and supposed to eb British made premium brake pads.

The one thing I have noticed is that now I get a lot of brake dust although my driving style has not changed and the brakes do not feel so positive. The latter has come to my attention recently.

I am of the opinion that brake pads should last a lot longer than 18000 miles or am I incorrect?

You are trying to stop 2 tonnes of motor with those pads, the premium ones tend to be a little softer so wear quicker and are more dusty.

Its always a compromise between wear and performance. Personally I fit the ones that stop me quicker and replace without thinking when performance drops.

Remember yours and other lives depend on these.

...., the key to driving is to anticipate, you will save a lot of fuel, oh and pads like that.... I need to :!:

Fully agree. My son drives up to traffic lights and then brakes, I lift my foot off and cruise invariably I reach the light changing back to green so didn't have to stop at all.

Fully agree. My son drives up to traffic lights and then brakes, I lift my foot off and cruise invariably I reach the light changing back to green so didn't have to stop at all.

I have a similar style of driving and never rush up to Stop or Red traffic lights. I forgot to mention that we do a lot of mileage towing a 1800kg caravan.

• 5 years later...

Earlier in Sept I was concerned about a warning message on the dashboard of my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee bought second hand in 2018 with full Jeep dealer service history and 60k on the clock.  The Jeep was due for its MOT and service on 21st Sept.  I did not buy from the dealer in question and it is not on finance.

The warning was regarding a message "Serv 4WD" plus the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Activation light glowing. I had a 3 year service plan with the Jeep dealership and this covered up to £750 of repairs that may be required as a result of the MOT or service.  It was due for its 100k or 8th year service as per the manufacturer's specifications. 

I dropped the Jeep off at the Jeep dealership in the morning with the warning "Serv 4WD" message permanently on. Anyway the Jeep went through the MOT which was done by a third party with no reference to the warning message, but had other advisories. I collected the Jeep after the service and no warning message so was quite pleased.

However between the date of the service and now we have done less than 500 miles with the Jeep. Unfortunately the message "Serv 4WD" and ESC Actitivation light are now both back up. I am now beginning to suspect that in order to save money the Jeep dealership accessed the onboard computer, removed the error message and did a temporary fix for the Jeep to pass the MOT however I have no way of proving this.

In addition to the above, they never did the correct service and instead of a full service where a number of belts need to be changed etc for the 100k or 8th years service the dealer only did an interim service i.e one required every 6 months if the vehicle is used for police, taxi, heavy towing etc.   Although the Jeep has only done 60k as it is 8 years old it should have had its 100k or 8 year service. They did the interim one for 93.5k instead and then told me it was the correct service although the service plan clearly indicated 100k or 8th service.

The plan was sold to me indicating that the vehicle was insured for repairs related to the service up to a value of £750. At its service last month it was pointed out to me that the rear brakes were corroding.  The MOT tester had an advisory that there was a slight leak from one of the shocks at the rear.  I asked the dealer why the brakes had not been replaced as per the service plan and then I was told that only related to a MOT failure and we would need to pay nearly £500 for the discs to be changed?  We were definitley not told that "service" repairs were not covered when we took out the plan.  Both my wife and myself were present when I agreed to the plan.  Their excuse is that their rep acted improperly and has been fired.  To my mind they were still acting on behalf of the company and if it was improper it should have been picked up when passed to management for approval.

Attached is a copy of the service contract with hopefully all details removed. Note where it states "MOT £54.85, MOT Check & Repair 12 month Cover £750."  The 12 month cover indicated that the Jeep was covered for repairs up to £750 for 12 months.  We were given the impression that this included repairs required at time of service and not just repairs aligned to the MOT.

They eventually conceded I was correct and the Jeep is going back for the proper 100k service on Tuesday, but I am not sure where I stand regarding the warning message, MOT advisories plus their own health check mentioning rear discs wer 60% corroded the as my gut feeling is that it should be covered by CRA 2015. Any input would be welcomed. Thanks.

Instrument panel.jpg

Jeep service plan.docx

I'm not going to go through the service plan terms and conditions. I'll leave that to you to decide whether or not you think that your reasoning is correct.

However, you are quite right that even though somebody might have acted improperly on behalf of the company – the fact is that that person binds the company and they could not use that to escape responsibility to you.

You've been here such an enormously long time that you are well aware that one needs to record these conversations so no doubt you have got evidence of this conversation. Bravo

In the T&Cs there is no definition for MOT Check & Repair 12 month cover £750.  Actually it is not even mentioned at all in the T&Cs.  I have track of the emails disputing the service regime and that is not being disputed any more. 

The issue being disputed is that under the service contract as per the "12 month cover £750" the MOT, minor fault and advisories should have been repaired.  In addition, their own health check indicated that the rear discs were 60% corroded and I am of the opinion they should have been repaired at the time of the service.  They quoted me nearly £500 to replace the rear brake discs.  I had the same job done on a 2005 Jeep GC and the cost was under £200.

By the end of the 3 year contract we will have paid in £1487.16.  We took out the service plan believing it to insure us against any expensive repairs at the time of the MOT or service. What was the point in paying for the "insurance" part of the plan if it does not work.  I am now also wondering if the credit payments would be covered by FOS although this is not mentioned in the T&Cs?

As said we now have the warning light on again so it does appear that they may have frigged the software to make the message disappear for the MOT.  I have no way of proving this. 

I need to mae sure that I have the correct information to argue my case as more then likely they are going to baulk when the "Serv 4WD" issue is brought up when Isee them on Tuesday.

You can get the warning messages interrogated at an independent, this also shows what’s been reset in the past on most cars. You could consider getting this done to see if it confirms your suspicions. But please double check that they can get resets on a Jeep