Apologies if this rambles slightly I feel a little brain dead after yesterday 

I just want to know if I'm being unreasonable in one of my points (holding them responsible for costs to possibly damaged engine if I can get an engineer report) 

Basically broke down in a layby on the a43, steam from bonnet high engine temps

RAC arrives declares it a minor leak and tops up then says OK to continue (4 miles to services) then recheck and says fine to drive home

30 miles later large amount of steam from engine and lose power, get it to hard shoulder

Next rac chap arrives and says it blowing like that may have damaged engine as it now doesn't start, says it will need a crane truck as 4wd and auto says priority job as 3 children on hardshoulder in the rain (1 in wheelchair) 

3 hours later, I've chased rac twice and been rung by highways agency twice (who have also complained to rac) 

Tow truck arrives (flat bed) advise them we were told it needs crane and drive says its OK it will run, after cranking engine for over 5 mins drives it onto truck pouring fluid out the bottom

I can't help but feel that him cranking engine that much when pouring fluid is likely to have done alot of damage as well as being told to continue on a leaking engine

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Well I think that your concerns are not unreasonable – but on the other hand if you are expecting them to pay for all of the damage to the engine, that may be unreasonable.

Anyway, we don't really know what we're talking about here yet – do we? You haven't had any assessments or quotations. I think that you need to come back here when you found out exactly what has gone wrong and what might have been the case if it had been handled differently – and various quotations for costs of repairs.

So I think you may be jumping the gun

Correct bankfodder I am

Got a friendly mechanic coming to look at it some point next week he's said not to attempt to run engine until then

Sorry its been a long week of constant issues and brain fried completely 

Will get complaint about service in first and mention that we may be looking further depending on mechanical report

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

General reply from rac

They won't even give an answer to the complaint for 20 working days

Am I the only one that thinks this is unreasonable? 

Please note:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks andy

Seem to have had a fairly stock reply back saying sorry for the poor service here's 30 quid - which reading online is their usual offer

The only update is they have sent their engineers report which hadn't been sent previously which said a new radiator was required "at the earliest opportunity" - this is the same person who said we were fine to continue 

They have also said they will look at any reports about the damage when received which is fair enough 

BIL (ex mechanic) had a look today, radiator is shot looks like there is a decent crack across the bottom in his opinion 

He's going to put us in touch with a garage for the none starting issue, he doesn't think the gasket has gone but suspects its a piston ring causing compression issues, he's doesn't have the tools to check this anymore hence garage 

Please note: