RAC complaint Court claim issued ***Settled in Full***

labrat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 903 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies if this rambles slightly I feel a little brain dead after yesterday 

I just want to know if I'm being unreasonable in one of my points (holding them responsible for costs to possibly damaged engine if I can get an engineer report) 

Basically broke down in a layby on the a43, steam from bonnet high engine temps

RAC arrives declares it a minor leak and tops up then says OK to continue (4 miles to services) then recheck and says fine to drive home

30 miles later large amount of steam from engine and lose power, get it to hard shoulder

Next rac chap arrives and says it blowing like that may have damaged engine as it now doesn't start, says it will need a crane truck as 4wd and auto says priority job as 3 children on hardshoulder in the rain (1 in wheelchair) 

3 hours later, I've chased rac twice and been rung by highways agency twice (who have also complained to rac) 

Tow truck arrives (flat bed) advise them we were told it needs crane and drive says its OK it will run, after cranking engine for over 5 mins drives it onto truck pouring fluid out the bottom

I can't help but feel that him cranking engine that much when pouring fluid is likely to have done alot of damage as well as being told to continue on a leaking engine

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Well I think that your concerns are not unreasonable – but on the other hand if you are expecting them to pay for all of the damage to the engine, that may be unreasonable.

Anyway, we don't really know what we're talking about here yet – do we? You haven't had any assessments or quotations. I think that you need to come back here when you found out exactly what has gone wrong and what might have been the case if it had been handled differently – and various quotations for costs of repairs.

So I think you may be jumping the gun

Correct bankfodder I am

Got a friendly mechanic coming to look at it some point next week he's said not to attempt to run engine until then

Sorry its been a long week of constant issues and brain fried completely 

Will get complaint about service in first and mention that we may be looking further depending on mechanical report

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

General reply from rac

They won't even give an answer to the complaint for 20 working days

Am I the only one that thinks this is unreasonable? 

Please note:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks andy

Seem to have had a fairly stock reply back saying sorry for the poor service here's 30 quid - which reading online is their usual offer

The only update is they have sent their engineers report which hadn't been sent previously which said a new radiator was required "at the earliest opportunity" - this is the same person who said we were fine to continue 

They have also said they will look at any reports about the damage when received which is fair enough 

BIL (ex mechanic) had a look today, radiator is shot looks like there is a decent crack across the bottom in his opinion 

He's going to put us in touch with a garage for the none starting issue, he doesn't think the gasket has gone but suspects its a piston ring causing compression issues, he's doesn't have the tools to check this anymore hence garage 

Please note:

• 3 months later...

An update on this

So far have been unable to get a report

It was at the first garage 4 months due to high workload 

A second garage then had a look at it

Finally we spoke to the dealership in desparation

All 3 have agreed that it will unfortunately need a new engine, none are willing to write a report to the cause of the damage due to the effort involved in stripping the engine

The replacement cost of the engine is £5000, according to the dealership the trade in value of the car is £5500

They are willing to take the car in non running order for £500 trade in 

I think my best option at this point is to write to rac and basically lay out the facts and take it from there

Please note:

Registration number showing in upload....please redact and upload.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Would someone mind looking down this for me and giving thoughts?

Ita not going off yet as rac hasn't replied however I thought better to be prepared 

Whoops 

Reuploaded

POC (1).pdf

Please note:

Just to point out this has been revised downwards before speaking to rac

I had a different quote of value from we buy any car of 1900 so asked for 3600 but advised as a goodwill gesture I would accept 1100 to settle as this is what is left on the finance simply to close the matter 

Please note:

• 2 weeks later...

Well rac just responded 

Ironically they're saying they bear no liability as the - and this is their words

"the catastrophic engine damage had already occurred before the first patrol arrived" 

I've emailed back to say simply that we are unable to accept this explanation as the patrol did not raise any concerns in regards to engine damage and that if the engine had been "catastrophically damaged" that they still bear liability for advising to continue towing on it which caused the actual failure 

Gave them 14 days to reconsider before opening small claims... 

Please note:

• 2 weeks later...

Well the 14 days is up and I would love some thoughts 

I've decided that because of the lack of reports it's really hard to put a set value on the claim

So filling in a paper n1 as that allows you to use the "not exceeding £3000" 

The brief particular is currently "on the 24th October 2020 the defendant was negligent in regards to the claimants vehicle causing loss of value not exceeding £3000"

I know its supposed to be short but is that too short? 

The draft particular of Claim is below

Do I attach the evidence when sending the claim or provide this later (valuation, emails, etc) 

Unfortunately this is the first time though the process so I would love input 

Particulars Of Claim.pdf

Please note:

A few minor changes 

The brief changed from causing to causing or contributing to

The particulars have also changed accordingly

Despite the wife pushing for the rac having caused the engine to break Ive stood my ground as I don't think we have enough to prove that

Where as contributing to the damage seems alot more inside the balance of probability... 

Please note:

• 6 months later...

open

Hi all

An Update and a little bit of further advice needed

I pushed onwards with the court claim which was due to have a preliminary hearing mid October 

RAC made a precourt offer today which we accepted as it was nearly spot on what we asked for originally plus court fees

Once they have paid this, which they have assured us should be today or tomorrow how do we discontinue? 

It's a paper case not online so I can't use the gateway, looking I suspect its an N270 but this seems very basic compared to the other papers so not too sure

Please note:

Form N270 is guidance notes on how to apply for an Administration Order. The form you require is the N279.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/961394/n279-eng.pdf

Regards

Andy

Brilliant

That's the one I meant but typo'd

Filled in and ready to drop off as the money has now entered our account 

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

Please note:

Well done topic title updated.

Andy

• Andyorch changed the title to RAC complaint Court claim issued ***Settled in Full***