• Tweets

• It's Hotpoint (but I believe they're part of the Whirlpool group now?). The part was bought direct from them as a consumer.
    • Thanks BankFodder for your latest, I'm in complete agreement on the subject of mediation and will be choosing to decline mediation, the longer timeline is not an issue for me, I will happily let the going to court run it's course. I really appreciate the support from the Consumer Action Group. I'll post the email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response. Regards, J    email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response:  
    • Sec127 (3) repealed, now gone. S. 127(3)-(5) repealed (6.4.2007) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. {15}, 70, 71(2), {Sch. 4} (with Sch. 3 para. 11); S.I. 2007/123, art. 3(2), Sch. 2
    • We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice has changed. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming and even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been leading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. If it's good for them it's bad for you. On mediation form, you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee but you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi's bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.     And incidentally, there is a myth that if you refuse mediation that somehow it will go against you and the judge will take a dim view and be critical of you. This is precisely a myth. It's not true. It would be highly improper if any judge decided the case against you on anything other than the facts and the law of the case. So don't worry about that. The downside of declining mediation is that your case will take slightly longer. The upside is that if you win you will get all your money and you will have a judgement in your favour which will help others. The chances of you winning in this case are better than 95% and of course you would then receive 100% of your claim plus costs
    • Nice to hear a positive story about a company on this form for a change. Thank you
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

EVRi damaged guitar i live in Scotland but claim raised in England *** Settled at mediation***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1121 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This was my first (and last!) experience using Hermes to deliver a parcel. I learnt the hard way... 

I posted a valuable item (my precious & perfect guitar) with Hermes that was delivered damaged. I paid for insurance and after an absolute nightmare getting in touch with them, then waiting 28 days, they said it is not covered.

However the recipient stated there is signs of rough handling to the package, therefore Hermes are still at fault. When I responded with this to them they replied:

..."I assure you that any damage is not a lack of care from our couriers; they take great care of all our parcels in transit. Any damage done to parcels within our delivery process will have occurred whilst being sorted by the automated, heavy machinery within one of our large depots."

Surely this does not absolve them of liability?!

I sold my guitar on ebay for £265 and have had to refund this plus the £20 postage I paid in good faith that my guitar would reach the buyer intact.

I now am out of pocket and with my once pristine guitar damaged.

I am heartbroken about it, plus the stress it's caused, was only even selling due to being a new mum and not currently working, I could cry (well I have several times). Anyway was just looking for any advice re: attempting to take further cheers.

I think that musical instruments is on their prohibited items list. This does not necessarily exclude you from making a claim.

Are there any photographs of the damage parcel et cetera?

Read around all the threads on this forum – or at least lots of them – to understand the steps and the basis for the arguments against Hermes.

When you sent the guitar, did you declare what it was when you bought the insurance? Did you declare the value correctly?

Also can you tell us a bit about the damage

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for your reply! 

I definitely put the value when I purchased the insurance. I unfortunately can't remember if I stated what the item was but it would make sense that it would also request this information. (I used the oh-so-convenient ..tsk.. little machine in the shop that you just enter all the details into and it prints it out for you). I will research as to whether that was something I indeed needed to enter; if I did I certainly would have put guitar. 

I have photos of the guitar before posting but no pictures of it wrapped up unfortunately, as it didn't occur to me I'd need to do that (with being new to selling online and it being the first time I'd posted anything of value... Sigh!!) 

I do have the buyer's message stating there were signs of rough handling to the package however. 

The damage is to one of the dials (completely smashed) and a crack down the neck. 

I'm new to this site and I've been trying to use the search function to find other hermes related posts but it only brings up results for lost claims not damaged (when I try to move forward through the results it doesn't seem to let me but I'll keep trying!) 

Edited by Rubixcube

Well now you know a bit better – you sell things on eBay then make it clear to your recipient that if the parcel arrives damage they should take lots of photographs before they open it and while they are opening it.

Where's the guitar now? Do you have photographs of it now?

Does the machine give you an opportunity to view their prohibited items list? Maybe you should go back and doublecheck.

Maybe you should also go back to the machine and go through the process and see at what point it invites you to say what the item is. Either way, it could be helpful. If the machine doesn't invite you to describe the item then obviously you had no opportunity to do so. If the machine does invite you to describe the item – then clearly they knew about it and they took it anyway.

As you are finding out, most of the cases on this forum – and elsewhere are to do with lost items. Hermes seems to have a particular knack of losing items – but if you have sent an item which has been properly described and properly valued and you even bought their so-called "insurance" which is designed to get you to protect them against their own negligence, then I see you have a very good basis for a claim.

Keep on reading around the forum. Start reading up also on how to bring a small claim in the County Court. I'm afraid that you will almost certainly have to issue the papers.

@BankFodderthank you again for your reply, I really appreciate it.

I will go through the machine procedure again today. I'm so relieved to hear you think I've got a good case against them. 

I have been sent my guitar back from the buyer and he has been refunded in full. 

I have photographs of the guitar dated day of listing on eBay and then the photos the buyer sent me of it damaged. 

Oh yes, huge lessons and I won't be putting anything of such value in the post again! 

It's a shame that you don't have pictures of the damage packaging. Not very clever of the recipient not to have taken these photos.

Find out all the information you can. Careful preparation and lots of evidence is important. Whether I think you have a good case will not especially relevant. At the end of the day it is you who will have to decide whether you want to fork out the court fee and have a go at getting your money back. Your's to win and your's to lose

Okay that would make a difference procedurally. I'm going to ask my site team colleague @Andyorch to come in and give some guidance because I always get confused about these dual jurisdiction problems.

Keep on doing the preparation that I suggested because whatever happens, you will need that information

• Like 1

Anyone in the UK can issue a claim through MCOL...you do not have to reside in England to use the service.....as long as you have a UK Address and the defendant resides in England.

• Like 2

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks both. 

Ok I now have photos of all of the questions the machine asks, which I will attach (I'll try this again when I'm home as I'm out just now and they're not loading). 

It does indeed ask the contents, of which I entered guitar.

And the value, for which I entered the price the buyer paid, £263.00.

I paid for cost of postage plus insurance plus signature. 

Edited by Rubixcube

I'm sorry but we are not able to see these images correctly because they don't display large enough. Please will you put them all into a PDF file and upload that.

Secondly, is there any opportunity on the machine to inspect their prohibited items list? Does it refer to a prohibited items list?

Also, I think you had better ask the buyer for a reasonably detailed statement of the condition of the parcel. This would include at the beginning, details of the purchaser's name and address – and how the parcel was received, when it was received and the condition before it was opened and then what he found inside

Ok thanks I'll do both these things. 

Yep there's an opportunity to access the lists of prohibited and non compensated items. 

I hadn't noticed this at the time of purchase as its so small and in the corner.

Please take a picture of it

Also, you will have to ask your buyer to sign the statement as a statement of truth.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I'm trying to refresh my memory as to where you are on this. I believe that they have declined liability because it is on their prohibited items list – and that you haven't begun a court claim. Is this correct?

You have an uncooperative buyer who apparently is not contacting you any more and will not even provide you with a statement – I suggest that you write to them again and say that you really have a problem and you could appreciate their help. However it won't be fatal – but it would be helpful if they would describe the packaging and the damage to the exterior packaging.

Once again, a great shame that they didn't take photographs – and also a great shame that you didn't take photographs before you sent everything off. Frankly I would have thought that this would be the minimum steps that any person would naturally take as a matter of survival and it is so little effort nowadays with a smart phone. What a shame.

If I have it right then you again have to decide whether to bring a court claim against Hermes for the negligent handling of your property. And you are going to have to be able to argue that they prohibited items list is unfair, that in any event, you declared the contents of the parcel and yet they still proceeded to accept the delivery instruction and hourly that they were happy to take your insurance premium – and that in any event, the fact that it was a guitar did not contribute to the risk of it being damaged.

You haven't said but I'm assuming that this is an electric guitar and so it's pretty solid – unlike an acoustic guitar which one might expect to be damaged.

Yes, post it up here before you send it off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, I'm a new mum and finding time for this is virtually impossible! 

I will attach my first draft for the Letter Before Action below (I am unsure whether I ought to include more detail or keep it brief as is). 

Many thanks once again. 

Parcel ID: 

Enquiry ref: 

Dear Sir or Madam, 

On Monday 7th September 2020 I purchased your delivery service with insurance to send a parcel sold on eBay. 

The item was received damaged by the buyer on Wednesday 9th September 2020. 

After several very time consuming and frustrating exchanges with your customer services, on 12 October 2020 Hermes finally declared that the insurance I had purchased did not offer me any compensation because the item I had posted was a guitar. I have subsequently been repeatedly denied the right to escalate/ make a formal complaint to Hermes. 

The contents of my parcel were valued at £263.00 plus the delivery fee and insurance cost totalling £16.88. 

I hereby inform you, that unless you reimburse me the above complete amount of £279.88 within 14 days, I shall issue a claim in the County court to recover this money from you, plus interest without any further notice. 

Yours Faithfully, 

The claimant used the courier service provided by the defendant courier company to send an electric guitar to a third party. The defendant company has admitted that they have damaged the item and refuse to compensate the claimant. 

The value of the item sent was £263.00. The delivery fee was £16.88. 

The claimant claims full reimbursement of £279.88 (item value plus delivery fee plus insurance cost) plus interest pursuant to section 69, County Courts Act 1984

I've cleaned up the letter of claim little and excluded some of the non-relevant detail

Parcel ID: 

Enquiry ref: 

Dear Sir or Madam, 

On Monday 7th September 2020 I purchased your delivery service with insurance to send a parcel to an address in XXX town

The item arrived at its destination damaged  on Wednesday 9th September 2020. 

Although I've purchased your so-called compensation cover, you have refused to reimburse me for the value of the damaged item.

The contents of my parcel were valued at £263.00 plus the delivery fee and insurance cost totalling £16.88. 

I hereby inform you, that unless you reimburse me the above complete amount of £279.88 within 14 days, I shall issue a claim in the County court to recover this money from you, plus interest without any further notice. 

Yours Faithfully, 

The particulars of claim is fine except that you haven't included a reference number

The claimant used the courier service provided by the defendant courier company to send an electric guitar to a third party. Reference number XXX. The defendant company has admitted that they have damaged the item and refuse to compensate the claimant. 

The value of the item sent was £263.00. The delivery fee was £16.88. 

The claimant claims full reimbursement of £279.88 (item value plus delivery fee plus insurance cost) plus interest pursuant to section 69, County Courts Act 1984

• Thanks 1

Just check their website and send it to any standard contact email address – and then send a confirmation in writing by recorded delivery to the postal address