ESA, PIP and student

EmSalz66
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1244 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, first post here

My daughter has a progressive illness and is, just recently, 20 years old. She is enrolled as a full time student and until last weekend I received tax credits for her. I am her appointed person, She receives PIP at highest rate for personal care and lower rate for mobility. I receive carers allowance and also am self employed, around her needs. She does a very odd shift working, possibly one or two 4-5 hour shift a month.

In the past I understand that she would have been entitled to ESA whilst a student as she receives PIP (the bursary form we have completed for low income towards travel and materials for her course, NOT any 'living costs' asks if she is in receipt of universal credit or ESA) 

I went online and made an application through the only online form available (new style contributions based) they told me as it was filled in her name I would need to ring a number for Contributionary ESA but she would only get a credit, as not paid enough. She didnt seem to know anything about income related.

She said she might be able to apply for universal credit.

I heard that there is some sort of magic way of applying - something to do with you not being able to get ESA without a work capability assessment, and because she is a student they wont do one because she isnt entitled to UC. However someone else told me that because she gets PIP she is automatically exempt from the WCA. And that as a disabled student she is entitled to income related ESA. And yet another person told me that you need to apply for universal credit and ask them to defer the payment until the WCA is done (which she shouldnt need as she gets PIP)...

Its all very confusing, and in the meantime the tax credits have been cut by a huge amount and council tax have placed me on a minimum income floor and charging me a whopping rate of council tax

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread