Eurostar vouchers exchange for cash refund - possible?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1244 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, basically I booked a return ticket on Eurostar for last August, due to the pandemic I obviously cancelled and, fair play to Eurostar, they sent me a voucher for the full amount within 24hrs.

The vouchers are valid for a year, however upon reflection, I can't see me using them now any time soon, so would rather have the cash. 

Would it be possible to use the vouchers today to book a single journey to the full amount, £115 (or perhaps to a slightly greater amount using cash, say £130), wait a few days, then cancel the ticket again but this time demand a cash refund?

I've looked at the Eurostar T&C's and can't find a definitive answer. What do you all think? All opinions welcome.

Ta. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I havn't been around here for a bit, and I'm not that good with trains.

* Was the train you were meant to take cancelled (even if you did cancel by yourself)? (As opposed to the train not being cancelled, and departing as normal without you.)

* Was the original fare refundable?

If the answer to both the above is no, then you will probably need to settle for the voucher. Otherwise there might be yet a chance.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested - I got a final response from Eurostar. No dice. Only vouchers given since March. 

Valid for 12months, so I can't complain really. Fair enough. Better than a thousand passive-aggressive responses from BankFodder which always start every paragraph with "I'm afraid...". Ha! You shouldn't be so afraid mate! ;)

Love this site!