Being chased by debt collectors for a vet's bill

T C B
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 615 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Its just come to my attention that a friend has been getting pressure from a company called ACT credit management.

They are collecting a debt on behalf of a service provider.  My friend has been pressured to pay far more than they can afford and I've suggested that they request an income and expenditure form.

This has been sent but insists on evidence for all about goings. Bank statements etc. Can they legally insist on this evidence.

I'd also like to know if it reasonable to request details of the debt. it wasn't  credit agreement it was for an essential service that should have been paid when the invoice was presented. I'm not convinced that the original cost was fair. 

Thanks in advance

Who is the service provider?

IS it leccy gas water??

What income does your friend have, WHO set up the repayments, your friend or these clowns?

How are they making the payments, DD cheque, standing order?

No one, less for a judge, can request to see I&E forms, although  depending on what figures were talking about they may help in limited circumstances.

Name names  and figures please.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Yes, I think it will be helpful if you simply lay out the entire story in a bullet pointed chronology.

If you want good and detailed advice then you have to give us a reasonably detailed account so that we don't have to ask any questions

Thanks for your response

Emergency vet bill. I don't think they've bought the debt judging by the way they word the letters

Value is about 2k, Paid online monthly. 

Original arrangement was set up over the phone a couple of years ago. They call every month and refuse to drop the payment to a reasonable, affordable amount.

No problem filling out an income and expenditure form i just don't think asking form evidence is reasonable.

Thanks again.

I'm sorry, but that's really still not a very understandable story. You are simply abbreviating things.

We asked for a bullet pointed chronology – and that's probably what we need. Just as an example, when you first laid out the story, it sounded as if you are dealing with an energy company. Now it seems that when dealing with a vet.

You don't need to make this hard work for yourself or for us.

Please just lay out a bullet pointed chronology of events from the beginning to the end. Not too much narrative

i was gonna say i bet this is a vets bill

it's ACT's favourite food along with bogus private school fees.

just remember the red bits below my post

and no they are not entitled to any of that info on their I&E forms!!

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

10 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

i was gonna say i bet this is a vets bill

it's ACT's favourite food ...

😃😄😄

Thanks for responses.

The post thats been deleted was posted before the post requesting bullet points. I was deliberately vague on the type of debt it was. However a utility company is not a service provider

The answer provided in respect of the income form is great.

The only question i have now is if its reasonable to request  breakdown of how the debt has been calculated and any contract hey may have been in place.

Thanks again 

pers i'd certainly not be paying a powerless DCA anything EVER. esp when they dont OWN the debt, which in this and most cases they don't

and most certainly NOT over the phone or use the phone to a DCA ever, no matter the reason.

they lie and threaten all kinds of illegal things on a phonecall that they'll never put in a letter which is why it is sO important to record their calls, then you can raise a complaint against them.

cut the DCA of totally

ring up the VETS and set up an affordable repayment schedule with THEM directly

but 1st ask for a balance i bet that doesn't match the sums paid to the DCA.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

A utility company is certainly a service provider and they are generally treated as such by courts, regulators et cetera.

Please don't be vague about any details that you give us if you want help.

Were the advice we give here is free of charge – and it is generally speaking excellent advice and we help thousands of people, you should treat it as if you are paying £300 an hour for it and that means your best to help us so that we can help you solve your problems quickly and efficiently

• I agree 1

• BankFodder changed the title to Being chased by debt collectors for a vet's bill

And to add to my site team colleague' s advice above, if you phoned the vet, they may well say that it is out of their hands now and with a debt collection agency. Insist that it is with them and if they maintain their position then it is probably worth writing to them to confirm that you asked them for details and that they refused.

It's a good idea to develop a paper trail – especially where they are acting unreasonably and refusing basic information such as an account. You could also serve them with an SAR which will compel them to provide you all the information you want

Please keep us updated

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to update this thread...its been a long time!

I submitted an SAR and the content I got back was unbelievable and quite shocking!

Internal emails with very derogatory remarks about the account holders financial position and the passing of a relative.

lots of admissions regarding coercive and intimidation behaviour by the firms agents and in particular lots of references to fees being applied to the account.

I proceeded to put questions to them and ask for information in relation to the fees.

To cut a long story. They have refused to provide further information but have wiped the debt which was several £k. which is , to my mind,  an indication that they are in water they don't like.

I am not happy to let this go as I feel they need holding to account and i want to know how much in fees they have added.

Who do i complain to? The FCA?  they referred me to the CSA but I doubt they'll have any teeth

Thanks in advance...Tim 

Not a lot you can do.

Dx

and they