Unsigned direct debit indemnity claim.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My uncle had a home plumbing insurance policy.

Auto renewing for 4 years.

Annual premiums increased from £12 to £96 to £230 to £266.

He didn't need the policy as the cover was already being provided under his household policy.

I sent the firm a Subject Access Request

The bundle arrived and contained a copy of  the direct debit form.

It seems my uncle completed the mandate wrongly.

In the box for his Christian name, he put his full name.

In the box for his surname he wrote his signature.

In the box for his signature, he left blank.

I made a direct debit indemnity claim, stating the firm did not have a properly signed mandate.

The mandate should have been returned by the insurance company to be properly completed or rejected by the bank.

The bank repaid the debits for all 4 years by the time I put the phone down. 

Its WAR

Hi War 

What was the Plumbing Co involvd here.

Customers tend to set up policies or cover, etc, and then leave it. That's how insurers make a killing, when folk don't bother to compare quotes from other Co's.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

The company was Homeserve.

Thames water sent Homeserve my (aged) uncle's details. Homeserve sent him a flyer offering him the £12 a year policy. He didn't understand it and  filled out the forms wrongly.

For four years Homeserve sent him a very wordy letter headed 'Relax, you are covered'. The text mentioned the new premium.

My uncle didn't realise  the £12 first year premium was an introductory offer designed to draw him in and that future years premiums would escalate by obscene amounts, and the annual 'Relax you are covered' letter highlighted that he needn't worry, he was covered and could relax.

The increase in premium was hidden away, especially for an old man who probably didn't have his reading glasses on. I doubt the 'Relax' letters even got read past the headline.

Homeserve are a complete rip off. Who in their right mind would pay an annual premium (higher than they could insure their whole house for), but only be covered for a dripping tap, blocked pipes etc?  As for damage caused by such a thing, his household policy already covered it. 

So, we will just wait and see how (or if) they try to defend the indemnity claim.

Edited by slick132
Spacing added to make post legible

Its WAR

Hi War,

Spacing added to your post above to make it easier to read. Please  use spacing and avoid solid text blocks.

Thames Water send out these "invitations" regularly, subjecting their customers to Homeserve's tactics. It's impossible to justify those increases, year on year.

Keep us posted on Homeserves reaction to the DD reclaim.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)