Banned from a supermarket but didn't steal anything

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1286 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm new to all this and not sure where else to post but I was banned today from a supermarket for buying the same thing over again.

I haven't stolen anything and all I did was buy something, take it out of the packet to use and now I've been banned -- all because I bought the item again but this time not for me.

Can they do this and can they stop me from reentering the store? I've not signed anything, it was just the security guard who told me I was banned. 

I don't really understand the story, but I don't think there's anything to worry about. If they didn't take any details then there are no records and nobody is going to approach you. If the store has other shops in its chain then nothing will stop you shopping there – and I would expect that in a few weeks time you can quite happily go back to the first store and shop and everybody will have forgotten it.

If you did nothing dishonest – then there is nothing to worry about and although you could challenge the behaviour of the security guard, it will just take a long time and no doubt they will get defensive and go into denial and it will become unpleasant and dragged on.

It sounds to me as if the security guard jumped the gun – but on the other hand you properly have to understand that there are lots of people who go into the stores, and take things out of the packet and then try to steal them. So they get suspicious of everyone.

As I've said, I don't think you need to worry – but maybe in future you should wait until you leave the store before taking things out of the packet

To be blunt VF I think it is foolish to go into a supermarket and buy a knife and take it out of its packaging while still in the store. However innocent your motives for doing that other customers are likely to be concerned if they see someone walking around in a shop while holding a knife not in its packaging. I'm not surprised security intervened. Especially if you then returned to buy more knives.

I agree it seems harsh, as BankFodder says the security guard seems to have been unduly harsh but maybe he was worried when you went back and bought a second knife. There are concerns about selling single knives as they've been used to attack people.

A couple of links.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47507937

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sale-of-knives-voluntary-agreement-by-retailers/sale-of-knives-voluntary-agreement-by-retailers

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Possibly a ban is a bit harsh in your case but I have to agree with Ethel Street about wandering around a supermarket with a knife that wasn't in its packaging. Security weren't to know that you're a nice person and wouldn't use the knife as a weapon.

HB

• Haha 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

I'm not sure that we've been told that the OP was "walking around with a knife".

1 hour ago, ValkyrieForce said:

Ethel - it was a kitchen knife and no, I had already paid for it. I just took it out the packet.

So you didn’t take the knife out of its packet in the middle of a shop ? And were you polite when confronted by the security guard ?

• Confused 1

What's the matter @jotty, bad day?

2 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

What's the matter @jotty, bad day?

No but the story does sound a bit strange with a few holes in it.

Anyway shop can ban whoever they like without giving a reason no matter how much the op thinks he is being victimised

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

quite honestly if i was aware that someone had purchased a kitchen knife

then came back and purchased a second one,

then was seen or were reported p'haps by a member of the public or anyone going into a toilet to take it out of it's packaging,

.. i'd not ban you i'd be ringing the police

who's to know you didn't have the first knife in your pocket still too and were not off to scream a few certain words whilst attacking people..

think you got off lightly...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

ok good.

just puzzles me how they knew you'd removed it from its packaging as its in that to stop people stabbing others in a store.

so was a bit suss IMHO.

bottom line is they don't need a reason sadly.

they don't run Face recog anyway so give a week or two and it will be forgotten i expect

just keep out of that store for a while

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...