Starting Out, Advice appreciated

james141
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6632 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

During my younger days at college, I got a barclaycard and a capital one card.

Both of the limits were £400, After reaching the credit limit on each, I paid the minimum payments for a while.

Then I was a bit naughty and stoped paying. The balances were about £600.

Eventually I agreed with them that I would pay about £40 to each of them if they stopped the charges (I wish I had this in writing!!!), which I did for 18months to 2 years. During this time, I didnt open my statements as I assumed it was ok.

They had been accepting my payments but still adding charges.

The upshot is, I have paid them about £800 each for debts of £400 and they are still caliming that I owe each of them £1600!!!!

There is no way on gods earth they will ever get another penny out of me.

This morning I ammended the stock letter and posted it off to them.

What do you think my chances are? any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

James

Hi All,

During my younger days at college, I got a barclaycard and a capital one card.

Both of the limits were £400, After reaching the credit limit on each, I paid the minimum payments for a while.

Then I was a bit naughty and stoped paying. The balances were about £600.

Eventually I agreed with them that I would pay about £40 to each of them if they stopped the charges (I wish I had this in writing!!!), which I did for 18months to 2 years. During this time, I didnt open my statements as I assumed it was ok.

They had been accepting my payments but still adding charges.

The upshot is, I have paid them about £800 each for debts of £400 and they are still caliming that I owe each of them £1600!!!!

There is no way on gods earth they will ever get another penny out of me.

This morning I ammended the stock letter and posted it off to them.

What do you think my chances are? any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

James

100%.

remember the stock letter is a bit wrong as it doesnt include the amount that they charged in interest on these charges. with credit cards such as barclay card this can add up amazingly. if youre paying 30% apr and the charge was made two years ago and was £30 then theyve charged £20.70 interest on this charge so you can claim that back too.

what you need is all your statements so you can calculate how much they owe you.

dealing with credit cards is easier though because you owe them money, they dont owe you money normally but rather your debt would be smaller. you can use contract law to dispute the size of the debt and basically bounce them into reducing it to the level it should be by refusing to pay. it would be up to them to get a judgement in court that you had to pay which would mean theyd have to prove the level of debt in court.

you cant claim 8% apr under the county courts act as you havent paid off the debt, you owe them the money and from what youve said youve paid less than your total negative balance.

100%.

remember the stock letter is a bit wrong as it doesnt include the amount that they charged in interest on these charges. with credit cards such as barclay card this can add up amazingly. if youre paying 30% apr and the charge was made two years ago and was £30 then theyve charged £20.70 interest on this charge so you can claim that back too.

what you need is all your statements so you can calculate how much they owe you.

dealing with credit cards is easier though because you owe them money, they dont owe you money normally but rather your debt would be smaller. you can use contract law to dispute the size of the debt and basically bounce them into reducing it to the level it should be by refusing to pay. it would be up to them to get a judgement in court that you had to pay which would mean theyd have to prove the level of debt in court.

you cant claim 8% apr under the county courts act as you havent paid off the debt, you owe them the money and from what youve said youve paid less than your total negative balance.

100%. remember the stock letter is a bit wrong as it doesnt include the amount that they charged in interest on these charges. with credit cards such as barclay card this can add up amazingly. if youre paying 30% apr and the charge was made two years ago and was £30 then theyve charged £20.70 interest on this charge so you can claim that back too. making it even more fun you can then claim 8% on top, basically the greedier they are the more you could claim.

The letters are now changed.

100%. remember the stock letter is a bit wrong as it doesnt include the amount that they charged in interest on these charges. with credit cards such as barclay card this can add up amazingly. if youre paying 30% apr and the charge was made two years ago and was £30 then theyve charged £20.70 interest on this charge so you can claim that back too. making it even more fun you can then claim 8% on top, basically the greedier they are the more you could claim.

The letters are now changed.

I have requested all account transactions from both. But without that information I have just asked for all charges to be removed. This should result in a posative balance as I have paid them £800. but I will just be happy for them to stop the debt ,but a refund would also be very nice!!

I have requested all account transactions from both. But without that information I have just asked for all charges to be removed. This should result in a posative balance as I have paid them £800. but I will just be happy for them to stop the debt ,but a refund would also be very nice!!

Also forgot to add that, My current account is with Barclays and at the start of this month just after I got paid they froze my account and took £700 out of my account to pay some of my barclaycard bill because it was "their legal right" :(

This left me with £0 for the rest of the month, I have not been able to pay any bills or rent :(

Also forgot to add that, My current account is with Barclays and at the start of this month just after I got paid they froze my account and took £700 out of my account to pay some of my barclaycard bill because it was "their legal right" :(

This left me with £0 for the rest of the month, I have not been able to pay any bills or rent :(

claiming interest on their charges that they charged you.

eg - one claim was 1200 in charges and 600 in interest.

Excellent, my plan of action is to see what responce I get, I am guessing the first letter will be the standard F-off letter. By then I should have my statements so I can work out an exact figre to go back to them with once more before I file a claim :)

claiming interest on their charges that they charged you.

eg - one claim was 1200 in charges and 600 in interest.

Excellent, my plan of action is to see what responce I get, I am guessing the first letter will be the standard F-off letter. By then I should have my statements so I can work out an exact figre to go back to them with once more before I file a claim :)

but if you got a bank charge on your visa card 5 years ago and theyve been charging you 30% apr a year... they are allowed to charge interest on the legal amount of debt, they cannot legally charge interest on charges if the charges are unlawful.

but if you got a bank charge on your visa card 5 years ago and theyve been charging you 30% apr a year... they are allowed to charge interest on the legal amount of debt, they cannot legally charge interest on charges if the charges are unlawful.

Just reading the FAQ's

What is meant by this:

Q. I have been "defaulted" by my bank.

A. This can cause serious problems for a long time. you should try and avoid this if you can but this will normally have happened before you even begin to start recovering your costs.

I think both of these cards may have defaulted (due to their charges) and capital one have a CCJ against me :( is this a problem to me claiming?

Just reading the FAQ's

What is meant by this:

A. This can cause serious problems for a long time. you should try and avoid this if you can but this will normally have happened before you even begin to start recovering your costs.

I think both of these cards may have defaulted (due to their charges) and capital one have a CCJ against me :( is this a problem to me claiming?

Just reading the FAQ's

What is meant by this:

Read the info on both the Equifax and Experian sites which ar elinked in the library.

Also could you run this claim on a thread in the correct forum, plase.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6632 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks