Damage liability advice

L_C
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1262 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a security company come to install an additional motion sensor in my garage.

Despite warning, he continued walking through a cable which was lay on the floor and pulled a network switch off a shelf on to my motorbike causing damage to the fairings and paint.

I raised a complaint which they said wouldn't progress and stated I was lucky the engineer wasn't injured and a claim filed against myself.

I reconfirmed the engineer was told to stop multiple times when I seen he walking towards the cable but he kept walking five feet which caused it to fall.

I also queried if the engineer had a requirement to assess the working environment before commencing with any work.

I've now had an email from their insurer denying liability and that they believe a court would find under Occupiers Liability Act 1957 I had a duty of care and was fortunate no injury was sustained. They say the damage was caused entirely of my own negligence as I failed to warn and didn't cordon the area where the cable was. If I don't accept this then I must seek representation from a solicitor.

Can anyone please help or advise where I stand and what next steps I could take without approaching legal representation or my bike insurance yet?

It sounds like I was expected to cordon off all areas of my garage but I believe I'm not at fault and would like to progress this as I did warn the engineer before he walked near the cable and there must be some liability for him not assessing his working surroundings?

What is the value of the damage and can you describe it a bit more.

Maybe a diagram would help

Please tell us more about the cable running on the floor - what type of cable was it, and why was it running across the floor.

Was the "network switch" attached to the cable before it fell from a shelf onto the motorbike.

Were they putting in extra security to protect your motorbike ?

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)