Italian post office credit card victory! ***Paid in Full***

FTMDave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1171 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

this post will be of no interest to anyone apart from me, as it concerns the Italian post office - but to hell with that, I'm a in a show off mood and will go for it anyway!

I have a pre-paid credit card with Poste Italiane.  In May I noticed fraudulent activity on the card.  I immediately whipped out the letter that came with the card to find the fraud number to ring - only to discover it was the post office's generic customer service number and no-one was answering.  I therefore raced to the local branch, only to find it closed as the hours had been changed due to COVID.  I then tried to ring again and eventually got through and blocked the card.

Once I'd calmed down I read up and saw I had to formally report the fraud within 48 hours and that I would be reimbursed as long as I hadn't been negligent, which I hadn't (I'm fairly sure the card had been cloned at an automatic petrol station, that's all I use it for). 

The nature of the fraud is that they were nicking a very small sum from me, in US dollars, under $3, but every few minutes.

When I filled in Poste Italiane's form, I was asked to list all the fraudulent activity, which was impossible as transactions take a few days to appear on the statement, especially if in a non-Euro currency.  Even the local post office didn't have the statement exactly up-to-date.  However, I stated the last day I had used the card and that all the transactions after that day were fraudulent.

In a fit of efficiency I was reimbursed after only a few days - but only for the fraud I had been able to list, not the rest.

Being a patient sort of bloke, I thought there had been a genuine mistake, so I wrote to them - and got no reply.  After a fortnight I wrote again - no reply.  I then wrote again making it quite clear I wasn't giving up, and next time it would be an official complaint - no reply.  So then it was the official complaint which they have to reply to within 30 days - no reply.  The next stage is mediation between them and a consumers' association representing me, all free, which I went for. 

Today a lawyer from the consumers' association rang and said they have given in and want to pay me what they owe plus a small amount of compensation.  I replied "Avvocato, you're fantastic, that's a total victory, in fact more than what I asked for".  He replied "I didn't have to do anything, you'd done a great job of setting out your case".

They've already e-mailed me a form to accept the settlement.

While bringing my son up I've emphasised to him that injustices can be fought, and in fact we had a victory a few years ago against the worst travel agent in the history of humanity.  So this can be added 😃  I'm now going to have a few drinks knowing Poste Italiane are paying for them 🍷

• Like 2

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 3 months later...

Well, despite it being proudly written on their site that they guarantee to respect what mediation decides within 60 days - they didn't pay me.

So I wrote to them again and said if they didn't pay within 30 days I would take another case to mediation where they could explain to the mediators why they don't respect the decisions of the mediators despite promising to do so.  Today I picked up my cheque in full settlement from the local post office 😃

• Like 2

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• AndyOrch changed the title to Italian post office credit card victory! ***Paid in Full***