Cabot/Mortimer claimform - old Halifax Loan Debt

Hi everybody, 

I've recently just been dealt a CCJ. I have two debts on my credit file from Cabot. 

Both around 5k.

They are ones I recognise from defaulting 4 years a go.

I was advised by CAB to stop making payments as it was deemed necessary for them to advise me to go bankrupt.

My boss at the time stopped me at the eleventh hour advising me half the time they won't sue and I should wait to see if they become statute barred instead of declaring bankruptcy

This is what I did but as the title suggests I have received a CCJ for one of the debts and not the other even though they're both with Cabot? 

I am struggling financially still thanks to furlough and a rather expensive mot recently which has cleaned me out but in a much better place financially now then when the advice was to go bankrupt four years a go. 

Can anyone suggest a possible plan of attack?

I was hoping and praying that if I perhaps call them and arrange a payment plan for both debts they may drop the CCJ? 

Other than that hail mary I'm a bit of a loss as to what I can do and any help would be gratefully received. 

Issued a claim or they have judgment already......your post is not clear.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• Andyorch changed the title to Court Claim Issued - Advice Greatly Appreciated

Topic moved to financial Legal Issues Forum.

Please read the following link and then copy the Q,s and post your responses back here for further advice.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

Name of the Claimant ?  Cabot Financial - Mortimer Clarke Solicitors

Date of issue – 1st October 

AOS due - 19th October (2 weeks plus 5 days) 

Defence due 2nd November (33 days total) 

Particulars of Claim 

1. By agreement between the defendant and Halifax on or around the 3/3/2015 (the agreement) Halifax agreed to loan the defendant monies.

2.The defendant did not pay installments as they fell due.

3.The agreement was terminated following a service of a default notice.

4.The default was assigned to the claimant.

5.The claimant therefore claims 1. 4.5k 2. Costs

What is the total value of the claim? £4841.15

Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol

I was threatened with court action but I'm not sure if I received the correct pre action protocol.

I was looking out for it but didn't think I had received it.

Shamefully I did not keep the letters I received to be able to double check. 

Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? Yes

Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? No

Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Loan

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? After

Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Online 

Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ? Yes

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Debt purchaser

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Yes

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Yes

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? I believe so

Why did you cease payments? I was preparing to be declared bankrupt and advised to do so by CAB. 

What was the date of your last payment? 1/7/16

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No as I was planning to go bankrupt

• dx100uk changed the title to Cabot/Mortimer claimform - old Halifax Loan Debt

well CAB want shooting but thats nothing new.

for the other debt and ANY others you have that you have NOT advised the current debt owner (listed on your Credit files) of your correct and current address, you need to WRITE to them simply informing them of your new address, else you'll find backdoor CCJ before you know it.

for  this claimform:

pop up on the MCOL website detailed on the claimform.
[if mcol is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time]
 register as an individual
 note the long gateway number given
 then log in
 select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box.
 then using the details required from the claimform
 defend all
 leave jurisdiction unticked
 you DO NOT file a defence at this time

[you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ]
 click thru to the end
 confirm and exit MCOL.
get a CCA Request running to the claimant
https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332502-cca-request-consumer-credit-act-1974-updated-january-2015/
 leave the £1PO blank and uncrossed
 get a CPR  31:14  request running to the solicitors [if one is not listed send to the claimant]
https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/
type your name ONLY

no need to sign anything
you DO NOT await the return of paperwork.
you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count]

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the advice.

I'm already registered on mcol.

How do i file a defence by day 33?

If I haven't received any paperwork back from the requests? 

why do you need any paperwork to file a defence??..think about it..if they cant prove the debt..you are home free.

use our search top right in the red top banner

loan claimform

and get reading up.

BUT you DO NOT file a defence till nearer day 33 and we need to check it first.

get AOS, CCA and CPR done and running ASAP>

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

27 minutes ago, Mdg123 said:

1. By agreement between the defendant and Halifax on or around the 3/3/2015 (the agreement) Halifax agreed to loan the defendant monies.

2.The defendant did not pay instalments as they fell due.

4.The default was assigned to the claimant.:crazy: 

5.The claimant therefore claims 1. 4.5k 2. Costs

is that really what the POC says??

and they

you'll see by reading other threads like i said...

assign a default...what next..

a suspect its a spelling mistake and should say DEBT not default.

and they

Hi guys and gals, 

Been reading up all night. Andy and dx from what I can see you guys are absolute legends! Such a wealth of relevant info here I just haven't been able to find anywhere else. Thank you and everyone else here so much! 

Just a quick q though.

I need to write to Cabot to let them know my current address.

I don't have any letters from them about any of the debts so unaware of their reference for either of the debts.

How should I word the change of address letter to them for the debts?

I could use the ccj reference for letter of claim they have sent for the first debt but what about the other which I have no reference for?

Just want to cover my bases.

Just in case they've sent a second ccj to a previous address at the same time as this one to my current address! 

Thanks again all! 

for this current claimform use the claim number on the CCA to Cabot and the CPR to Mortimer.

for ALL your other debts...

tried your credit file?

if there is someone on there listed as the owner of a debt....

you need to write to them too.

the credit file might only give a few numbers of the whole relevant ref no 

safe to use that.

simply write using your present address

to the relevant debt owner ref credit file ref number xxxxx 

you are shown as the owner of an alleged debt upon my credit file ref no xxxx

i used to reside at xxxx

please note my new address as above

print your name only

and they

AOS done!

CCA:

CPR:

Does this all look good to everyone? Will send them all off tomorrow if so!

btw you lot are amazing!

Edited by dx100uk
templates removed

looks ok

ive removed them as you shouldn't post our template in the open forum

and they

dx..... a real life super hero since 2006, doesn't sleep (apparently lol) and still here at midnight helping this novice through a ccj claim! Will recorded post it all off tomorrow and hope your signature remains true "If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... "

I'll await the docs back from Cabot/Mortimer and formalise my defence accordingly over the next few weeks and let you all know what's going on as it happens!

Hi Andy, dx, 

Cabot have sent me through another claim form for the other aforementioned debt. Shall I keep all the adventure in this thread? Or start a fresh one? 

Separate thread please.

pop it up as text please 

dx

and they

2.The defendant did not pay instalments as they fell due.  

4.The agreement was assigned to the claimant.  

5.The claimant therefore claims

1. 4.5k

2. Costs 

Defence

1. The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.  

2. The Claimant has not complied with paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) Failed to serve a letter of claim pre claim pursuant to PAPDC changes of the 1st October 2017.It is respectfully requested that the court take this into consideration pursuant to 7.1 PAPDC.  

3. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is accepted that I have had financial dealings with Halifax in the past. However I do not recall entering into any financial agreement with Halifax on or around 03/03/2015 and have sought verification from the claimant who has not complied with my request for further information.  

4. Paragraph 2 is denied. I am not aware of any payment terms for the stated agreement.  

5. Paragraph 3 is denied as I am unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served by either the claimant or the original creditor.  

6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant; the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of credit agreement / assignment / balance / breach requested by CPR 31.14, and remains in default of my section 77 request, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to:  

a. Show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement; and  

b. Show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and  

c. Show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim  

7. On receipt of this claim I requested by way of Royal Mail on 13/10/20 a CPR 31.14 request from the claimant’s solicitors and a section 77 requests to the Claimant, for copies of the documents referred to within the Claimant’s particulars to establish what the claim is for. To date the Claimant has failed to comply with my section 77 request and their solicitors, Mortimer Clarke, have refused my CPR 31.14 request.  

8. As per Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.  

9. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82 A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974  

10. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

you need to sort your para 5

that points wrongly to their para 3

and you also need to address their para 3

and they

Thanks Dx. Amended defence set out below. Does it look right now?

2.The defendant did not pay instalments as they fell due.  

4.The agreement was assigned to the claimant.  

5.The claimant therefore claims
1. 4.5k
2. Costs 

Defence

1. The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.  

2. The Claimant has not complied with paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) Failed to serve a letter of claim pre claim pursuant to PAPDC changes of the 1st October 2017. It is respectfully requested that the court take this into consideration pursuant to 7.1 PAPDC.  

3. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is accepted that I have had financial dealings with Halifax in the past. However I do not recall entering into any financial agreement with Halifax on or around 03/03/2015 and have sought verification from the claimant who has not complied with my request for further information.  

4. Paragraph 2 is denied. I am not aware of any payment terms for the stated agreement.  

5. Paragraph 3 is denied. It is denied that Cabot Financial served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.

6. Paragraph 4 is denied as I am unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served by either the claimant or the original creditor.  

7. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant; the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of credit agreement / assignment / balance / breach requested by CPR 31.14, and remains in default of my section 77 request, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to:  

a. Show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement; and  
b. Show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and  
c. Show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim  

8. On receipt of this claim I requested by way of Royal Mail on 13/10/20 a CPR 31.14 request from the claimant’s solicitors and a section 77 requests to the Claimant, for copies of the documents referred to within the Claimant’s particulars to establish what the claim is for. To date the Claimant has failed to comply with my section 77 request and their solicitors, Mortimer Clarke, have refused my CPR 31.14 request.  

9. As per Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.  

10. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82 A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974  

11. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.